Just wondering if it ever happens -Pier Runners on the private islands?

mermaidIamNOT

Just wondering if there has ever been a pier runner/ waiting for someone who lost track of time at any of the private islands? See it a lot at the big ports but I'm curious if anyone has ever experienced having to wait awhile until a missing person is found on any of the private islands.

We're going to Great Stirrup Cay next month (our first private island experience) Looking at a map of the island it seems it might be easy for someone to wander off into the thicker vegetation areas towards the East and western ends looking for a private spot away from the bigger beach areas.

Just wondering if there has ever been a pier runner/ waiting for someone who lost track of time at any of the private islands? See it a lot at the big ports but I'm curious if anyone has ever experienced having to wait awhile until a missing person is found on any of the private islands.

We're going to Great Stirrup Cay next month (our first private island experience) Looking at a map of the island it seems it might be easy for someone to wander off into the thicker vegetation areas towards the East and western ends looking for a private spot away from the bigger beach areas.

Good question. I am sure the staff that live on the island do a good job making sure there are no stragglers.

I have no reason to doubt that they have people who go through the site rounding up any stragglers. That said, I also know on the Princess island, you can go outside the compound on your own. Once outside the compound, they have no way of easily locating you. In that case, I can see people being left behind, like any other place.

Not really...they WILL NOT leave you there! When the see stragglers, they move you right along!!

Wouldn't expect anyone to actually get left on the islands but I can see leaving late due to searching for someone who didn't stay on the maintained beaches out of view of the staff.

They will not leave without you. As with any port of call all passengers who go off the ship are identified as such by their ship card, and likewise with their return. They will know exactly who is still off the ship.

With a non-private port of call the ship must leave the port at a certain time to to docking schedules and associated fees. And if you are not on board, they wil leave without you (unless it is due to a delay with a ship sponsored tour).

Not so obviously with a private island, so they will wait until all are found and returned. Part of the on island staff's responsibility is to help assure all are on board. Pretty hard to get lost or to hide.

Nice thought however......

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Are you hoping that they come and look for you or would you rather they just leave you OP? :)[/quote

Personally my group an I would be easy to find as we will probably be back on the ship by noon-1ish even though the ship doesn't leave until 5pm.

Just love watching the reactions/hearing comments of people onboard to the pier runners and those lazy slow walkers as the ship is supposed to leave, people waiting onboard are yelling at them to hurry up. (watched a youtube video some lady actually was asking if the ship would stop and back up for two people who were running down the Nassau pier the husband kept running the wife gave up half way)

I was just wondering as a last tender with only 2-3 people on it might get similar comments/reactions.

They will not leave without you.

Oh yes they will! Several years ago a storm came up quickly at CoCo Cay. The captain blew the ships horn and the evacuation began.

Once the waves were too high to operate the tenders the ship moved to deeper water and left several to weather the cold and rain overnight.

While not a direct answer to the posting it makes for an interesting read when you Google the story.

Oh yes they will! Several years ago a storm came up quickly at CoCo Cay. The captain blew the ships horn and the evacuation began.

Once the waves were too high to operate the tenders the ship moved to deeper water and left several to weather the cold and rain overnight.

While not a direct answer to the posting it makes for an interesting read when you Google the story.

I remember that incident.

Didn't some of the people break open the lockers were there was some alcohol? Or am I thinking of another incident?