On the EPIC now and can't get into Tangier...What a disappointment!

karenlovesparis

We are on the EPIC at the moment and couldn't get into Tangier this morning. Us and the ship is beyond devastated. Tugs couldn't get us to the dock. Being replaced with a sea day. Don't know why we couldn't just hang out here to see if they could get it done OR do a tender! We booked this cruise for this stop specifically and really don't feel enough was done to make something happen.

We booked this cruise for this stop specifically and really don't feel enough was done to make something happen.

I would be tremendously disappointed, as well. However, do you know "what was done" by NCL "to make something happen"? I don't know how you could know enough to know that it was insufficient.

We are on the EPIC at the moment and couldn't get into Tangier this morning. Us and the ship is beyond devastated. Tugs couldn't get us to the dock. Being replaced with a sea day. Don't know why we couldn't just hang out here to see if they could get it done OR do a tender! We booked this cruise for this stop specifically and really don't feel enough was done to make something happen.

What was the weather conditions?

What was the weather conditions?

Looks like they have heavy rain with winds at 15mph-18mph and gust to 30mph. Thats a pretty good reason why they are having a sea day. Weather happens.........disappointing......

As far as the OP' statement "Really don't feel enough was done to make something happen" Stuff happens and ports and tendering are cancelled all the time. Its NCL's fault:rolleyes:

Edited by Laszlo

Weather was bad enough that the ship with tugs was not able to dock and you suggest they tender in?? I can't imagine that would be fun!! How many guests would be injured trying to do that?

Weather affects cruises every day, it's a disappointment but if you book a cruise just for one port, it's probably better to take a vacation to that one port. They are never going to put the ship or passengers in danger to make a landing.

I understand the disappointment, but having trouble with the rest of the original post. The Captain did his best to dock, however took a command decision to abort and go back to sea, having taken all into consideration. For me, case closed, its no ones fault so enjoy the rest of the cruise.

What do you feel should have been done?

You must be new to cruising. Ships miss ports all the time for a host of reasons. The contract states that no port is guaranteed. If a specific port is that important, you should have a land vacation.

It has happened to my wife and I over the years (more than once as well). It always stinks when it happens. I am sorry that you missed the port on your sailing but now it gives you another reason to cruise that itinerary again. Like any of us really need a reason to cruise again ;)

Exactly...when you buy your ticket, you agree that they don't have to actually take you to any port, or they can change the port, or cancel them....you have no rights whatsoever, except passage. I'm sure you are disappointed...but that's cruising for ya!

if the weather is bad and the port is accessed by tender it will be unsafe to ferry passengers ashore. this is explained in the small print. We were unable to tender to the Bahamas one time, and were devastated, with another day at sea. Thats cruising for you !

They do their best to deliver the itinerary they sold you. People always accuse the cruise line of wanting to keep people on board and spending money, but they make a lot of money selling excursions, too. NCL is probably just as disappointed as the OP that Tangier had to be cancelled.

Our tendering experience in Punta Arenas, Chile was quite the experience. We were in an aft penthouse and watched the process become more and more dangerous as time passed. I have never seen anything like it in my life. Those tender boats hidden under waves. Rocking violently and moving forward a foot and immediately back two. We heard of many shook up and frightened pax on those late tenders. Of course we left VERY late.

If it is dangerous for a ship to dock I imagine tendering would be much more precarious. Safety should be # 1.

Anyone who cruises needs to know that no port is a guarantee. Just a part of the biz.

Hi. Sorry to hear you could not get off at this port. I'm on same cruise soon do you mind me asking what the weather has been like. I've only ever done summer cruises and am not sure of what to pack/wear as not sure of weather. Thanks in advance

I'm sure it's disappointing to miss a port. The only one we've missed on our four cruises was the port of Ashdod in Israel. We were on the Jade in 2011 doing the "Lands of the Bible" (an excellent trip, by the way). We spent two nights in Haifa instead and still got to see almost all of the same sites in Israel we would have seen from Ashdod -- it just meant a longer bus trip to Jerusalem. The reason was because of the rockets being fired at southern Israel from Gaza.

Edited by hawk1972

This is unfortunate and unpreventable, but given the time of year hardly unlikely. We often cruise out of season and have had ports cancelled/changed due to weather every time. Even in May this year the tender to Cannes was cancelled for over an hour because of weather/water conditions being so bad, and when it did start up again it wasn't pleasant.

I can never understand why people would spend thousands of pounds on a 10 day cruise with the intention to visit just one port!

I'm sure you will have a lovely (safe) trip with a responsible crew running a fabulous ship :)

I'm sure it's disappointing to miss a port. The only one we've missed on our four cruises was the port of Ashdod in Israel. We were on the Jade in 2011 doing the "Lands of the Bible" (an excellent trip, by the way). We spent two nights in Haifa instead and still got to see almost all of the same sites in Israel we would have seen from Ashdod -- it just meant a longer bus trip to Jerusalem. The reason was because of the rockets being fired at southern Israel from Gaza.

This would be our greatest fear. We have missed several ports over the years & really didn't care. There's always next time, plus none of the ports have been that important to us. The Holy Land, OTOH, is our dream trip & will be a once in a lifetime journey for us. We would be so disappointed, if we didn't see everything we were hoping to see. Obviously, I know you can miss ports for many reasons, so we'll add a land trip to the cruise. We'd still be disappointed to miss any of the ports on the cruise. Your experience would make it acceptable though. When we finally get to go, I hope our cruise line will be as accommodating as your was.

We did the Baltics, and had a booked ShoreEx day-trip to Moscow on one of our St. Petersburg days.

When we boarded, there was a note in the cabin that the Moscow day-trip (a definite highlight for us) was cancelled, because the insurance company decided that the planes the tour company was using, weren't insurable.

I'm not sure whether I regret going, or whether I dodged a bullet.

Stephen

This would be our greatest fear. We have missed several ports over the years & really didn't care. There's always next time, plus none of the ports have been that important to us. The Holy Land, OTOH, is our dream trip & will be a once in a lifetime journey for us. We would be so disappointed, if we didn't see everything we were hoping to see. Obviously, I know you can miss ports for many reasons, so we'll add a land trip to the cruise. We'd still be disappointed to miss any of the ports on the cruise. Your experience would make it acceptable though. When we finally get to go, I hope our cruise line will be as accommodating as your was.

I have been to the Holy Land three times. The cruise was my second trip. The other two times have been land trips. We also got to see Turkey, Cyprus, Egypt, and Rome. With only two days in Israel, you only see the absolute highlights -- Galilee and Jerusalem. If you really want to see it, a land trip is really necessary. You really need a week to ten days to do it justice.

if the weather is bad and the port is accessed by tender it will be unsafe to ferry passengers ashore. this is explained in the small print. We were unable to tender to the Bahamas one time, and were devastated, with another day at sea. Thats cruising for you !

What 'small print'? The cruise contract is in standard font and size.

Sorry you were disappointed but it seems you must be new to cruising as ships miss ports due to weather all the time. The cruise line is under no obligation to make that port (read your contract with NCL). I'm sure the captain had the safety of the crew, paxs, and ship in mind when he decided not to dock or tender. NEVER take a cruise if you're taking it for a specific port. Take a flight/land vacation. I've been on dozens of cruises and missed several ports due to weather. Instead of complaining/whining about it, I understand it was weather and the captain's decision and made the best of it.

I was on the first Canary Islands itinerary the Epic did this year. It was right after the US Thanksgiving. We docked at that port and the ship had to swing around in a tight space to get to the berth. We didn't have any tugs with us so the suggestion that they used tugs for your attempted docking shows they definitely tried to get there. Unfortunately weather happens. I would never book a cruise for a specific port, however, this cruise all the ports were new except the embark one. If I had missed one, I would've been least devastated by missing the Tangier port. Sorry you it ruined the cruise for you but try and enjoy the rest of your holiday. :)

I was on the first Canary Islands itinerary the Epic did this year. It was right after the US Thanksgiving. We docked at that port and the ship had to swing around in a tight space to get to the berth. We didn't have any tugs with us so the suggestion that they used tugs for your attempted docking shows they definitely tried to get there. Unfortunately weather happens. I would never book a cruise for a specific port, however, this cruise all the ports were new except the embark one. If I had missed one, I would've been least devastated by missing the Tangier port. Sorry you it ruined the cruise for you but try and enjoy the rest of your holiday. :)

Hi.

What was the weather like when u visited Tangier on this cruise? I'm trying to plan what to pack so great to hear of someone that has done same itinerary not so long ago.