Driving holiday in New Zealand

We did 3 weeks in the South Island and 2 weeks in the North and still didn't see it all :)

However from a practical point of view, most motels we stayed in were self contained and laundry facilities were easily available. Wash and dry in the evening and off again the next morning.

Preferred the South Island for scenery (apologies to the North Island Kiwi's) but it was more dramatic. Roads were good but not speedy and sometimes a little scary (those one way corners round the side of mountains and one way bridges were a bit hairy).

Milford Sound, Queenstown, Haast Pass and Lake Taupo were highlights of the trip for us, as well as flying over Mt Cook National Park. In the North Island going right to the tippy top was also a highlight as well as the Coromandel Peninsula. We also used the Lonely Planet Guide which took us off the tourist trail but was well worth it.

We also found that internal air flights were not too costly, so we were able to shorten our trip times this way.

Oh by the way, the Te Papa Museum in Wellington is a must see for us non Kiwis.

Unfortunately didn't get down to Invecargill and Stewart Island (that's our next trip) nor did we manage to do around Nelson at the top of the South Island - so can't comment on these areas.

We did 3 weeks in the South Island and 2 weeks in the North and still didn't see it all :)

However from a practical point of view, most motels we stayed in were self contained and laundry facilities were easily available. Wash and dry in the evening and off again the next morning.

Preferred the South Island for scenery (apologies to the North Island Kiwi's) but it was more dramatic. Roads were good but not speedy and sometimes a little scary (those one way corners round the side of mountains and one way bridges were a bit hairy).

Milford Sound, Queenstown, Haast Pass and Lake Taupo were highlights of the trip for us, as well as flying over Mt Cook National Park. In the North Island going right to the tippy top was also a highlight as well as the Coromandel Peninsula. We also used the Lonely Planet Guide which took us off the tourist trail but was well worth it.

We also found that internal air flights were not too costly, so we were able to shorten our trip times this way.

Oh by the way, the Te Papa Museum in Wellington is a must see for us non Kiwis.

Unfortunately didn't get down to Invecargill and Stewart Island (that's our next trip) nor did we manage to do around Nelson at the top of the South Island - so can't comment on these areas.

I think the best thing is make a list with everything you want to see and do and then plan a route to do it, if time puts constraints on this, then cut the list back and prioritise the items.:D

Or make a list and let us help you turn that into an itinerary.

I lived in NZ for over 40 years, and since moving to Australia have taken DH on many adventures to explore both islands.

Perhaps if Bouillon123 told us what places, and what scenic routes, they wanted to cover then we could make some serious suggestions.

Thank you for your reply, OzKiwi.

I actually counted 17 nights in New Zealand now, but instead of travelling each day I also came to the conclusion that it might be better to travel longer distances but remain in one spot for a few days. It looks like this at the moment and your input is greatly appreciated. :)

Auckland to Taupo (277 km) (3 nights)

25.2. Taupo to Wellington 375 km (1 night) (close to Ferry port)

Wellington to Picton with Ferry (3 hours)

26.2. Picton to Greymouth (350 km) (3 nights)

1.3. Greymouth to Arrowtown (510 km) 3 nights

4.3. Arrowtown to Hawarden (543 km) 1 night

5.3. Hawarden to Picton (293 km)

Take ferry to Wellington (3 hours)

Wellington 1 night

6.3. Wellington to Otorohanga (451 km) (1 night)

7.3. Otorohanga to Paihia (406 km) (4 nights)

11.3. Auckland

Or make a list and let us help you turn that into an itinerary.

I lived in NZ for over 40 years, and since moving to Australia have taken DH on many adventures to explore both islands.

Perhaps if Bouillon123 told us what places, and what scenic routes, they wanted to cover then we could make some serious suggestions.

They have provided he dates and a rough guide as to where they wish to go, perhaps we can fill in the blanks.

They have provided he dates and a rough guide as to where they wish to go, perhaps we can fill in the blanks.

I think they might have the wrong idea about some of those places. They did say they had picked the stops because of scenic drives which is why I suggested they ask us about them. It may be possible to do those drives as part of the itinerary rather than a day trip.

Hi everyone, sorry for not appearing for a few days, getting ready to go to Singapore today. I definitely will take all advice to heart and will plan accordingly when we get back from our trip.

I had a quick look on the map and have now decided to fly back from Dunedin to Auckland which is much easier and more sensible. So my route will be a totally different one.

I will post a new list of ideas (with everyone's advice taken into consideration) on my return.

Thanks again to everyone, you are most helpful. :)

Hi everyone, sorry for not appearing for a few days, getting ready to go to Singapore today. I definitely will take all advice to heart and will plan accordingly when we get back from our trip.

I had a quick look on the map and have now decided to fly back from Dunedin to Auckland which is much easier and more sensible. So my route will be a totally different one.

I will post a new list of ideas (with everyone's advice taken into consideration) on my return.

Thanks again to everyone, you are most helpful. :)

Enjoy Singapore.

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone

Back from our travels (Singapore was great!) and I have been taking all your advice on board to start planning for New Zealand.

Sooooo, now I have decided thanks to you good people to fly from Auckland to Queenstown, rent a car there and make Arrowtown our "base". From there we have many opportunities to make day trips.

We then fly back to Auckland, rent a car and go up to Paihia. Again this will be our base for a week.

There are tons of things to do in New Zealand and I think 2 weeks is not really enough so I rather concentrate on an area in New Zealand than trying to speed my way through it.

Thank you for all your advice, it has helped immensely in making a decision.

Just a couple of things

Use the AA Travel and Distance calculator and not Google. Google is always wildly optimistic re times!

I'm not sure on reading your revised itinerary whether Greymouth still features on it, but as someone who lives only 4 hours away, I wouldn't spend 3 hours let alone 3 days in Greymouth:)

It's one of the most un-scenic places in an extremely scenic country!

Just my 2 cents

I'm going to throw in a suggestion here. Have you thought about focussing on just one island? It would save such a lot of the travel time and let you explore the area in a more detailed and relaxed manner. We spent more than 2 weeks in the South Island and could have easily spent another 3.

Been to NZ twice.

Once on a 20 day holiday (17 days of it a coach tour to cover both islands).

Second time was a cruise.

As far as actually seeing the country went, the coach tour won hands down.

I think 2 weeks would be okay to see both islands, but you would have to choose carefully. You can never hope to see everything, even if you spend a month or two there.

When it comes to working out what you might see in a day, could I suggest you go online, look at some coach tour itineraries in detail. You'll find they normally allow for stops & don't go too fast. If you read reviews as well, they will tell you if any sections were too rushed. I'm not suggesting you actually go on one of the tours, just use the information for planning your own motoring holiday.

Don't plan on going any faster than the coach tour though. Maybe even a touch slower.

But have a look at a few, pick one that tours the things you would most like to see and use that as a rough starting guide.

Edited by sherri3802

This is so far a very short list of things to do and where we stay:

Our cruise gets into Auckland (overnight stay), so any suggestions what to do or see in Auckland would be great.

After leaving the ship we fly from Auckland to Queenstown (get a hire car at the airport). We will be staying at Millbrook Resort. Since we are golfers we will play 2 of the courses in the area. I also have on my list driving to Milford Sound, drive to Glenorchy, a flight over parts of Fiordland National Park from Te Anau, Wine Tour with Nzwinetours

Then we catch the plane from Queenstown to Auckland (rent a car again) and head up to Paihia, we will be staying in Chalet Romantica. Again 2 days of golf in the area, driving Paihia to Cape Reinga, a day cruise from Paihia, scenic flight of bay of islands, driving tour from Paihia towards Waipoua Forest

This is only a rough idea but at least I am starting to close in on things to do. I agree with everyone that 2 weeks is not enough to see New Zealand and we definitely did not want to be stressed out rushing around the whole of New Zealand but rather relax and enjoy.

Make sure that your flight to Queenstown is during the day and get a window seat. The let down procedure is quite amazing. I have only done it once. Recall looking out and was surprised at how close we were to some of the mountains.

The departure is not as spectacular.

One thing you might consider for your Milford Sound trip is to do an overnight trip on the sound. We did one with this company some years ago and it was wonderful. https://www.realjourneys.co.nz/en/experiences/cruises/#

The drive to Milford Sound is wonderful but takes a minimum of four hours each way from Queenstown, more if you stop along the way for meals / comfort stops and to enjoy some of the beautiful sights along the way such as the Mirror Lakes and the Chasm Walk. There can also be delays at the Homer Tunnel as it's a one way road through the tunnel with traffic lights controlling the direction of travel at any point in time.You may have to wait up to half an hour for the lights to change. I'd actually allow at least six hours one way from Queenstown.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Make sure that your flight to Queenstown is during the day and get a window seat. The let down procedure is quite amazing. I have only done it once. Recall looking out and was surprised at how close we were to some of the mountains.

Not sue if they do this any more but sometime the airlines take the scenic route, flying over Mt Cook then down above the Southern Alps to Queenstown. Stunning scenery if they do.

Up until now , all flights are in daylight hours due to the difficult terrain.....however new systems are being/have been, installed for night flights, not sure if its up and running yet.