Saving deck chairs....

RedDraw

In theory if people gave up their loungers when not using them eg. Taking a long lunch, participating in activities etc. There would always be some available. However chogs is contagious:D Some of the most respectable and polite people get into the habit of chogging after 3 days without a lounger. (Emerald Princess).

Because, by Carnival's rules, one is allowed to save their seat for 40 minutes. If you don't like Carnival's rules, complain to Carnival, not the person abiding by the rules. And please don't use your kids as an excuse. It was your decision to take them so live with what that entails.

I mentioned my children in response to the person who kept insisting that the only people who hate chair hogging sleep until noon. There are many reasons why someone might be looking for a lounger at any time of day. I also mentioned my children to explain why I'm perfectly happy sitting for a short time while you're gone.

The people I was upset with were actually breaking the 40 minute rule. They saved a row of chairs that were not used for more than one hour. I kept checking as I ate breakfast, brought my kids up for breakfast, etc. One couple was sitting but saving six additional chairs that sat empty for at least one hour and forty minutes. This was common. I moved a towel on Serenity in early afternoon and alternated sitting there with my husband -- the owner had not returned after one hour. The couple next to us had a second set of chairs in the sun -- I suppose they moved back and forth every half hour or so, but that's kind of cheating don't you think? There is also something to be said for being considerate to fellow cruisers, no matter the rules. I kept thinking that children would never save their seats because they've learned to share.

Carnival started placing 40 minute stickers in the early afternoon, at least on Serenity. I'm pretty sure they caught some people, although others returned just to remove the stickers. Carnival employees refused when I asked them to start placing the stickers at 8 a.m.

Edited by KatieCharlotte

Cubbies trashy - really!? I love them. Somewhere dry to put your towel, cover up and flip flops if you sit in the hot tub and do not want to take up a chair to to put your dry towel on - makes perfect sense to me.

I often move someones towels and then put them back after I have sat when I come out of the pool or with my coffee after breakfast - usually nobody comes to reclaim - once they did, and I said - I was just keeping chair warm for them, and moved on without a fuss.

I have seen people hold chairs then go on an excursion for the day - expect the chairs to be waiting for them at 3 when they come back on board - cruise lines need to monitor that.

We all know the difference when someone has just gone to the washroom/lunch etc - they have a lot of stuff, not a random magazine or flip flop.

Then there are those that are finished for the day, and leave their dirty towels - ick - just push them onto the floor and take over the chairs. Staff will pick them up eventually.

It still happens because a lot of people don't abide by rules, have no common sense or are rude. It's the same people who block aisles in the grocery store, go through the 10 items only lane with 20, park in disabled spots, talk loudly on cell phones in places no one wants to hear their business and on and on.

If I ever got to sleep until noon I wouldn't need a deck chair. ;)

Nothing quite like a CHOG thread to get the juices flowing lol

It's an "issue" across every line, but the complaints also seem to be coming from those who get up at noon and expect some of the most coveted deck chairs to be waiting for them. Not saying you have to get up at 5:30am, but if having a prime location really matters to you then beat the crowd there, if not you can always find a chair, just not in the prime spots.

As far as choging goes, IMO there is nothing wrong with using your chair all day or holding 1 chair for your significant other/travel partner while they grab a bite to eat, use the bathroom, etc. Its the people who throw towels and books on their chairs at 7am and don't show up to use them till 9:30 that really grind my gears.

My brother is a notorious chair hog, mostly because he has cruised for umpteen years and is familiar with the habits of his fellow passengers. Play the system or loose out is his mantra. It bothers me, no end, but I can't dissuade him since it is a normal reaction to how others also do the same thing.

The only way to stop the practice is for the cruise line to monitor the lido deck by numbering the chairs and giving them out only when someone actually intends to use them when they hit the pool area or the serenity deck. Personally I don't think passengers would accept the solution so its a total catch 22 situation.

The people I was upset with were actually breaking the 40 minute rule. They saved a row of chairs that were not used for more than one hour. I kept checking as I ate breakfast, brought my kids up for breakfast, etc. One couple was sitting but saving six additional chairs that sat empty for at least one hour and forty minutes. This was common.

Just do like we used to do at cheer competitions, when someone says my xxx is sitting there, just say "OK, I'll just sit here until they come back". Most never do, so you get the chair. If they do come back, just move and do the same thing somewhere else.

Just do like we used to do at cheer competitions, when someone says my xxx is sitting there, just say "OK, I'll just sit here until they come back". Most never do, so you get the chair. If they do come back, just move and do the same thing somewhere else.

Love it, great suggestion.:)

I did this once because the lounge was completely empty. You should have saw the expression her face.:eek: After reading my book for over an hour, her hubby showed up and said "thank you" and left. :D

The couple next to us had a second set of chairs in the sun -- I suppose they moved back and forth every half hour or so, but that's kind of cheating don't you think?

Yes, that is cheating and a person can only have one chair. And this is what I would do with those cheaters. Wait for them to move to one set and immediately sit down in the other set. When they start bitching, tell to call security (or whomever). Tell security that they were sitting somewhere else but if they want the ones you're sitting in, you'll gladly move to where they were. They won't have a leg to stand on at that point.

have to agree never had a problem getting a chair.

May not have been my number one choice in position, but always got one when I wanted one.

But this issue keeps coming up.

I used to feel this way too, until last week. I didn't care where I was. If my kids were in the pool and I couldn't find a close by chair, I would just sit on the side of the pool. If I wasn't with them, a chair anywhere would suit me just fine.

Last week on the Breeze, I walked the whole ship all the way around on all decks, even in the shade and not an empty chair to be found. LOTS with a shoe or a book. Many linked together with towels, much fewer with actual people in them. It really was frustrating. My son and I were able to find a couple of chairs near the Cantini. Had lunch and a few drinks watching empty chairs. Never saw anyone sticker ing chairs and well over 25 chairs sat empty of people the whole time we were there.

I used to feel this way too, until last week. I didn't care where I was. If my kids were in the pool and I couldn't find a close by chair, I would just sit on the side of the pool. If I wasn't with them, a chair anywhere would suit me just fine.

Last week on the Breeze, I walked the whole ship all the way around on all decks, even in the shade and not an empty chair to be found. LOTS with a shoe or a book. Many linked together with towels, much fewer with actual people in them. It really was frustrating. My son and I were able to find a couple of chairs near the Cantini. Had lunch and a few drinks watching empty chairs. Never saw anyone sticker ing chairs and well over 25 chairs sat empty of people the whole time we were there.

I'm sorry you had a frustrating experience with chair hogging too. Like you, until my most recent cruise I could always find a chair somewhere and did not see chair after chair being saved for long periods of time. Until they see it for themselves, people don't really understand what we're talking about. I'm hoping these are isolated experiences and not a trend. :confused:

I'm sorry you had a frustrating experience with chair hogging too. Like you, until my most recent cruise I could always find a chair somewhere and did not see chair after chair being saved for long periods of time. Until they see it for themselves, people don't really understand what we're talking about. I'm hoping these are isolated experiences and not a trend. :confused:

It's a trend.