is behind the scenes ship tour worth the money ?

Thoth

My wife and I both did the UST on the Crown. We both loved it. Last month we were on the Regal and I did it on my own. I love the behind-the-scenes stuff. Well worth it, and the swag bag is an added bonus. Where else can you get stationery with the ship's name personalized with your own name? The photos are included too. Here's some from the Regal:

34e77e8c37c58badb1a3a629241fb39b.jpg

14b481ce3759cf28d93934d66eda9664.jpg

Captain Perrin was great. He chatted for quite a while and he answered everyone's questions. He's quite fond of the Love Boat horn...

Edited by CanadianBurger

i missed getting a bridge photo by their photographers as the Golden broke down while we were doing the tour we did get to the bridge next day but with out the photographer sadly got all other photos though and a robe and a apron and note pad and frame for the photos

We were on the Golden Princess over Christmas. They allocated places by drawing names. We got no priority because we were in a full suite. We missed out :(

If they get more than 12 people to sign up, my understanding is they do a drawing to select who gets to go. I have also heard that those in a full suite, get priority. We did it on a 7-day Alaskan cruise with 12 people. We signed up on an 11-day Panama Canal cruise, and there was not enough to form the tour. They did however, get everyone who signed up together the last day and took us for a tour of the bridge & meet the captain. We thought that was nice of them since they didn't have to do that. I believe there was six of us.

They list the UST in the patter, however in looking back at the patter from the Coral, it's not a very good description nor does it mention the bag of gifts. I could see that those who know nothing about it, probably would not jump at spending $150 for a tour, just based on what it says.

From the patter in 2/2014: Princess Cruises Ultimate Ship Tour - Go behind the scenes of the Coral Princess. Cost of the tour is $150 per person. Space is limited. Sign up at the Passenger Services Desk.

We wanted to do the tour on the Golden but it was allocated by lottery and we missed out. So the sign up was not first come first served.

i got told it was by ballot but i think as only 6 [i think it was] i think it was put their name down for my tour there was no ballot

My wife and I both did the UST on the Crown. We both loved it. Last month we were on the Regal and I did it on my own. I love the behind-the-scenes stuff. Well worth it, and the swag bag is an added bonus. Where else can you get stationery with the ship's name personalized with your own name? The photos are included too. Here's some from the Regal:

34e77e8c37c58badb1a3a629241fb39b.jpg

14b481ce3759cf28d93934d66eda9664.jpg

Captain Perrin was great. He chatted for quite a while and he answered everyone's questions. He's quite fond of the Love Boat horn...

thanks for sharing your pictures. I'm ready ! :D

I'll be on the Crown in May ;) Once we board I'll start to inquire.

On Carnival we could take pictures everywhere buy the engine control room. Hope to get on a Princess tour next cruise the last 3 there weren't enough people that signed up, so they didn't have the tour. I think the price scares most from deciding not to do it.

On Carnival we could take pictures everywhere buy the engine control room. Hope to get on a Princess tour next cruise the last 3 there weren't enough people that signed up, so they didn't have the tour. I think the price scares most from deciding not to do it.

I don't think they do a very good job of describing the tour. There is the trip into the parts of the ship that very few people get to see, which it would seem, those of us who have done it, enjoy the adventure. Then there is the gifts delivered afterwards that provides the bonus to the tour, that we feel, off sets the cost. The description is so vague, I could see where those who are not aware of the details, would not give it a second thought.

We hope we get to do the UST on the Coral next week as different than the Sapphire we did a couple of years ago. I would like to take the UST on every class of ship since thay are to some extent, different enough to make it interesting.

could not take photos on golden though when we did the bridge next day we could though i think it was due to going along when i journalist was doing her tour and that our group was so small we were allowed to join in

So can one take pictures during this tour?

On the Crown, no photos were allowed anywhere. On the Regal, also no photos, but Captain Perrin said we could take all the photos we liked on the bridge. I'm glad I had my phone.

Here is the "UST Boarding Pass" you get the night before:

2b72a4a9027403ba578dbfda6298d9c5.jpg

Some other bridge pics for those interested:

f4b32076c28b5c651c31808e3f083dc3.jpg

0956e8054002ecc09fa3bc806f5a952f.jpg

c840b63d4427ec6ac1e6b626066883a8.jpgc7d4e25dee620e5761830e96f37b0a3f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by CanadianBurger

I'll be on the Crown in May ;) Once we board I'll start to inquire.

I was told on the Crown that it was first-come, first-served for the UST list. The passenger relations desk was our first stop on embarkation, and I was first on the list both times.

Here are some Crown UST pics to whet your appetite!

56e21814dc4d6a1bc3d62f07ec34908d.jpg

7e2b6f43d23ab83869e4a94d456a30bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Oh come on guys! You're killing me. We've talked about this already.

Repeat after me:

"The UST is just too expensive."

"The UST is boring and dreary."

"The pretty pictures are misleading. You will see nothing of interest."

Let's all just keep repeating this mantra until I can (finally!) take the UST on the Regal a year from now. :D

We did it yesterday on the CB and it was wonderful. We had 11 or 12 in our group. They took our pictures many of the places we went. We received a large photo on the bridge and 4 5x7s from other locations. If you plan to do it, leave room in your luggage... the robes are huge.

As an FYI, Bridge photos are at the discretion of the captain, everywhere else they were pretty strict about it (exception for us was the anchor storage area, they let us shoot out the openings to catch the waves) - They did not allow bridge photos on our last run.

Some other lines allow photos almost the whole trip. It's neat to do them on different lines and see the similarities and differences, that said from a purely tour standpoint Princess does the best by far.