is behind the scenes ship tour worth the money ?

Thoth

If your Dad can handle steps and standing for a while (they will find him seats at a few stops if needed) he can probably see everything. Depending on what they cover there may be one or two areas he might skip if balance is an issue (on the Royal we went into the anchor room, lots of trip hazards and ship movement, and on the Coral we went up to see the 'Jet engine' which was a climb up a steep and not very stable ladder, several people waited at the bottom.)

thank you thank you thank you :D to everyone who responded. I'll go see the purser once I board. I've been on 18 cruises, but never the behind the scenes tour like this. Before Sep 11 2001 bridge tours were free and open to all, and I've toured the galley.

My Dad is 81 so hopefully he can go as well. He would love the bridge and engine control room. I think my mother will enjoy the cooking + gallery tour instead.

thanks again :)

If you do book the tour, there is a dress code. No sandals, no high heels, no shorts, no skirts, etc. You are to wear long pants and regular shoes such as gym shoes. Oh, and do please wear a shirt or blouse. :D

There is a lot of walking and standing......sometimes you will use the elevator and sometimes the stairs. Another thing I should mention.....no potty break.

We did this tour on the Coral and thought it was worth every penny of the cost. The goody bag was worth as much or more than the cost of the tour. The plush bathrobe alone is priced at $90, if you were to buy it in the gift shop.

We did this tour on the Coral in February and my hubby and I were the only ones in long pants and closed shoes. One couple was extremely late and didn't have the waivers signed. Felt pretty out of place with everyone else in shorts and sandals. No one said a word so not sure if they actually require the dress code. We did enjoy the tour very much!

I bought this as a surprise for DH 3 years ago on the Ruby. He is still talking about it and absolutely cherished the portrait taken with the captain which was part of the swag. Two weeks ago, I surprised him with the same on the Oasis - figured, one of the biggest ships, it'll be an even better experience. Huge disappointment for him. And $190ish CDN. :eek: Only swag was a lanyard with an all access pass. He said they were rushed through the areas and the guide couldn't have been more bored to be doing his job. Figured it was less than two hrs rather than the projected 3.

Yes, definitely go with the tour. Princess is doing it right!

Edited by h-sar

We did this tour on the Coral in February and my hubby and I were the only ones in long pants and closed shoes. One couple was extremely late and didn't have the waivers signed. Felt pretty out of place with everyone else in shorts and sandals. No one said a word so not sure if they actually require the dress code. We did enjoy the tour very much!

On the letter we received telling us that we were picked to do the tour also included instructions. Part of the instructions included a dress code which everyone followed except one young lady. The longest pants she had was a workout outfit that came to her mid calf. The crew had a discussion as to whether she could go on the tour or not.......they let her go.

My previous post was to warn the OP about the dress code we were expected to follow. If others didn't have a dress code, good for them. I surely would have like to wear shorts instead of long pants as it was in the mid 80's that day. :D

YMMV

Have never done a UST but there have been so many reviews and all positive that you guys got me thinking we should. I am just so frugal ;) that the $300 per couple price has turned me off.

Same here especially when a few of the places visited have visits at no cost to begin with like the backstage tour, visit to the galley. I can think of better used for $300 then a tour that includes a bunch of useless trinkets that will wind up in the trash sooner or later.

Same here especially when a few of the places visited have visits at no cost to begin with like the backstage tour, visit to the galley. I can think of better used for $300 then a tour that includes a bunch of useless trinkets that will wind up in the trash sooner or later.

During the free backstage and galley tours - two areas that are only a small part of the UST - the passengers merely walk through the area. There is no comparison with the UST where you meet the section managers who give you an explanation of their responsibilities and their staffs' jobs and then take questions.

As to the "trinkets", our fluffy robes are 6 years old and we still use them to go to/from our hot tub.

We looked at the UST as the cost of a pricey ship's excursion and found it much more interesting (not even including the swag) than many we have taken.

Edited by capriccio

I'm considering going on the behind the scenes ship tour. It appears to cost $150.

So for those who have done the tour...is it worth it ? What all did you see ? Is it required for a galley tour ?

Plenty of good descriptions of the UST on the board, so you would have to decide if it sounds like something you would want to see. Then, if you think it's worth the cost for the tour & gifts included.

We did it on the Sapphire, and it was well worth the money. We have tried two other times and they did not have enough people for one, and the other, on the Emerald last month, they told us they did not normally do it on cruises of 5 days or less. That could vary per ship though.

One thing about the UST that is pretty consistent, is those who have actually been on the UST, have said it was worth it to them.

"Useless trinkets"?? Maybe to you I guess, but most of the items are things sold in the gift shops where you can easily determine the value. For instance, fluffy robes that are $100, HUGE wall photo frames that were $25+ each, etc. We still use our robes, aprons, and frames YEARS later. I'm not sure why anyone would throw a robe or picture frames in the trash?

I thought the OP was asking peoples' opinions who have actually been on the tour. Which you apparently have not.

One thing about the UST that is pretty consistent, is those who have actually been on the UST, have said it was worth it to them.

Exactly. Isn't this akin to the shore excursion board where the sticky says 'you can't recommend a tour you haven't been on'?? I don't see how people who haven't been on the actual tour have an opinion about its worth.

On the letter we received telling us that we were picked to do the tour also included instructions. Part of the instructions included a dress code which everyone followed except one young lady. The longest pants she had was a workout outfit that came to her mid calf. The crew had a discussion as to whether she could go on the tour or not.......they let her go.

My previous post was to warn the OP about the dress code we were expected to follow. If others didn't have a dress code, good for them. I surely would have like to wear shorts instead of long pants as it was in the mid 80's that day. :D

YMMV

That was our thoughts too. It was hot in some of those places and we were the only ones in long pants! I think the staff was thrown off my the late couple who could of cared less that they held the rest of us up. They also took pictures everywhere, even though we were told not too. Someone finally told them at the end they couldn't and they still didn't follow the rules.

During the free backstage and galley tours - two areas that are only a small part of the UST - the passengers merely walk through the area. There is no comparison with the UST where you meet the section managers who give you an explanation of their responsibilities and their staffs' jobs and then take questions.

As to the "trinkets", our fluffy robes are 6 years old and we still use them to go to/from our hot tub.

We looked at the UST as the cost of a pricey ship's excursion and found it much more interesting (not even including the swag) than many we have taken.

We've done a backstage tour on a number of ships during the years & spent at least 45 minutes on each one with Q & A afterwards. How much more could there possible be to hear about?

The galley tour is very comprehensive in my opinion. Unless you want to see them cutting up the meat & actually washing dishes, it's sufficient.

We received robes complements of Princess a few years ago & they're still fine. Of course they're not the heave ones but in Florida who needs it?

I suppose some find the stuff worth the admission price but I consider it way overpriced for my money.

For people who haven't had that opportunity (and most don't as free backstage tours other than the galley are rare except for very high level travelers its a good option if you are interested in it. Stuff is nice, but secondary..

And to be honest, I doubt you have visited all the areas in question..

Here's the list from the last one we did on the Royal (not necessarily in order).

Backstage

Sound booth

Dancer Dressing area (meet with dancers)

Galley (with EC)

Butcher shop (with Provisioning guy - title escapes me)

Produce cooler

Booze storage

Chocolate and Banana cooler (only a peek in)

Laundry

Photo Shop

Flower Shop

Print shop

Engine control room (with Chief Engineer)

Med Center (with CMO)

Front anchor area (forget official name - with Staff Captain)

Bridge (during which we had dolphins chasing under the boat and they put the cameras up on the main screen for us)

Have also done engine room in the past as well as luggage and logistics, but not on this particular one.

We've done a backstage tour on a number of ships during the years & spent at least 45 minutes on each one with Q & A afterwards. How much more could there possible be to hear about?

The galley tour is very comprehensive in my opinion. Unless you want to see them cutting up the meat & actually washing dishes, it's sufficient.

We received robes complements of Princess a few years ago & they're still fine. Of course they're not the heave ones but in Florida who needs it?

I suppose some find the stuff worth the admission price but I consider it way overpriced for my money.

more responses ! :) Cool ! thanks for the input.

Dress code is not a problem. For an Alaska cruise I don't even plan to pack shorts and my father does not own a pair. :D Closed toe shoes are all we wear.

Dad had said "I would kind of like to see the engines" but I think engine control room will suffice.

The tour sounds right down my alley ;)

more responses ! :) Cool ! thanks for the input.

Dress code is not a problem. For an Alaska cruise I don't even plan to pack shorts and my father does not own a pair. :D Closed toe shoes are all we wear.

Dad had said "I would kind of like to see the engines" but I think engine control room will suffice.

The tour sounds right down my alley ;)

It may depend on the ship as far as seeing the engines, as I think someone mentioned somewhere they did. When we did the UST on the Sapphire in Alaska, the engine control room was as the only part we got to see. The Chief Engineer said there was too much noise in the actual engine room and also due to security, that was not part of that tour.

It was really interesting talking to him as told us about how they have to run the gas turbine engines in parts of Alaska and I think off the coast of California. They have fuel usage down to a science. I don't remember the actual numbers now, as he was telling us that the diesels will only move the ship so fast. If the Captain is behind, and needs more power, they fire up the gas turbines, which the Chief Engineer hates to do as cost more $$. He says they have budget on fuel like any other thing & they try to stick too and he coordinates with the captain, about trying to not use them, unless required or needed for extra power. They have a diagram of the generators & engines up on their screen and it shows fuel usuage every few seconds. Very interesting for those who enjoy that type of thing.

I went back and looked at our group picturesd they took along the tour, and everyone was in long pants. Since it was Alaska in September, there was not a lot of short pants being worn onboard.

Just wanted to chime in and thank the OP for posting this question in the first place and to everyone who offered their opinions and experiences with the tour. I had always wondered whether or not the tour was worth the price of admission or not. These posts have convinced me that I need to sign up for this tour on my next cruise (on the Regal).

Exactly. Isn't this akin to the shore excursion board where the sticky says 'you can't recommend a tour you haven't been on'?? I don't see how people who haven't been on the actual tour have an opinion about its worth.

People are so happy to give you their opinion of something they know nothing about. It happens every day. Obviously anyone who has not wanted to do the UST thinks it is not worth it. Their posts can be ignored.

Thanks for all the positive inputs. I had thought about it from time to time after I found out it existed. I need to go ahead and try to book one this year on one of my cruises. On a cruise last year our TA who came along with the group arranged a private tour of the galley with some of the managing chefs in the galley. It was very informative for our group of about 20.

Just wanted to chime in and thank the OP for posting this question in the first place and to everyone who offered their opinions and experiences with the tour. I had always wondered whether or not the tour was worth the price of admission or not. These posts have convinced me that I need to sign up for this tour on my next cruise (on the Regal).

I believe you will enjoy it and report back if you get to go, on your thoughts about it. Each ship is different enough that I want to go through everyone we sail on.

I was trying to recall a few more details of what we seen that was interesting to us. In the kitchen, we stayed about 1/2 hour as a drink was served along with snacks. Not sure exactly who were were talking to in the kitchen that was giving that part of the tour, but said they make almost everything from scratch that they can. We seen them grinding large pieces of beef into hamburger, to cutting up chickens. In the freezers/refrigerators, you see just how much food is on board to feed that many people until they load up again. I even found the roll making machine fascinating. There was this big blob of dough laying on a table, this machine came down on top of it, wiggled about 10 seconds, and when lifted, there was a dozen or so perfectly cut rolls, ready for baking.

If you have never been on the bridge, it's a pleasure too as the view up there like no other. There is just something different about meeting the Captain at his command, on his bridge with his staff, then at the events. The navigational equipment is interesting to see working and talk to the staff. Several of his staff was in training to move up some place, to take command of their own ship someday.

I believe once you have been on this tour and seen the kitchen, laundry room, bridge and all the other areas that are supporting the people working you see up top, you realize just how much work goes into giving you that come back new experience.

We really hope we get to go on the UST on the Coral next month.

I believe you will enjoy it and report back if you get to go, on your thoughts about it. Each ship is different enough that I want to go through everyone we sail on.

I was trying to recall a few more details of what we seen that was interesting to us. In the kitchen, we stayed about 1/2 hour as a drink was served along with snacks. Not sure exactly who were were talking to in the kitchen that was giving that part of the tour, but said they make almost everything from scratch that they can. We seen them grinding large pieces of beef into hamburger, to cutting up chickens. In the freezers/refrigerators, you see just how much food is on board to feed that many people until they load up again. I even found the roll making machine fascinating. There was this big blob of dough laying on a table, this machine came down on top of it, wiggled about 10 seconds, and when lifted, there was a dozen or so perfectly cut rolls, ready for baking.

If you have never been on the bridge, it's a pleasure too as the view up there like no other. There is just something different about meeting the Captain at his command, on his bridge with his staff, then at the events. The navigational equipment is interesting to see working and talk to the staff. Several of his staff was in training to move up some place, to take command of their own ship someday.

I believe once you have been on this tour and seen the kitchen, laundry room, bridge and all the other areas that are supporting the people working you see up top, you realize just how much work goes into giving you that come back new experience.

We really hope we get to go on the UST on the Coral next month.

Well said!

yes, Yes, YES!!!! You will never know until you go. This tour is well worth the cost. I was so impressed with all the workings of the ship that I never really thought about. The whole process is truly amazing -- all the components working together to give the passengers such a wonderful experience/cruise.

SilverBird

Great reviews....we have cruised extensively and never done this. We did get to several areas, including the bridge, on a World Cruise, and have done the Chefs Table with galley and theatre backstage a few times...but this may be a good option on our upcoming Royal cruise.

Thought we had seen it all...but thanks for all the positive reviews:p

Edited by hillslife