1st Princess, 1st time Alaska...advice on cabin

Lovetwocruz2009

I plan to book Crown RT to glacier bay. I would like a balcony...can you suggest the deck and side of ship, please. Any other comments and suggestions on the ship or cruise is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Caribe deck balconies are the biggest. We never worry about picking a side. Scenery is everywhere and the ship will be rotated when near the glaciers so everyone can see. Its best to get out on deck and get different vantage points.

Its breathtaking!!

While we don't always cough up the extra money for a balcony cabin, Alaska is the one location we always think it is worth it. Not to worry, though, if you book an oceanview or inside cabin, there are plenty of areas out on deck where you can view some of the most beautiful scenery on earth.

If you do book a balcony cabin, the Caribe deck balconies are large and half covered. The mini-suites, except for a few on the Emerald deck, have uncovered balconies which might not work out so well if it is raining out. The balconies on the Riveria deck can be very noisy depending on where they are located as they are directly under the pool deck.

As others have mentioned, the ship will rotate at the Glacier so no specific side of the ship is better than the other. Aft cabins are always sought after ... however, the waters when leaving the Glacier can be really rough so maybe a midship cabin is something you would appreciate if you are prone to sea sickness.

Lovetwocruz,

Here are my two cents - mostly in line with the other responses... I agree that once you get to the glacier, the top deck is where it's at; however, the scenic cruising while getting to the glacier takes a while and I love to enjoy that on my balcony... I like the staterooms on Caribe due to the large deck that is half covered and have open. Makes it nice to sightsee even in inclement weather, for which Alaska is well-renowned to have at any time. Also, we tuck our chairs under the covered portion to keep them dry (works sometimes).

In regards to port or starboard sides... My preference is port side on the round trip Alaskan cruise... Only because in most ports (minus Seattle & Victoria), you're docked on the starboard side. We enjoy watching the float planes taking off and other marine traffic while in port. Now, I am not guaranteeing that the ship won't dock on the port side; I've just experienced that it's docked on the starboard side more often. Now if you want to watch the port happenings, starboard is where it's at! ;)

Hope this helped. :)

Aft cabins are always sought after ...

Hey Cruise Raider,

Why would the aft be more sought after? Just curious....

Here's something to consider if you decide on an aft balcony - while traveling up the bay and to the glacier, you'll probably want to be on the open deck. When the ship is retreating/leaving Glacier Bay, we love being on our aft balcony, having a snack, taking more pictures, and watching Marjorie Glacier and the mountains fade into the horizon. A wonderful, relaxing way to end a glorious time in Glacier Bay.

Personally, I like viewing from the aft, but I get out and travel around the ship for all views. I love a private view while sailing away from the beautiful sights. I like the Caribe balconies, too, but I prefer a fully covered balcony for Alaska in case it's raining. As previously stated, Caribe are half covered. Either way, you'll have a great time. Last time I went to Alaska I had an inside cabin and spent most of my time outdoors on the public decks. It was awesome. Be sure to bring some warm clothes.