Want to forget the first cruise.

Quiltin"Mom

Hello,

I am going to say this is my first cruise because I just want to forget the first cruise I did 10 years ago. I am just now convincing myself to try this again.

I will be traveling with hubby and two kids, ages 12 and 8.

I am just starting my search of finding a cruise and am coming up with a million questions. I have contacted a travel agent, but I am not sure how much value she is bringing to the table. I feel like I am still doing most of the footwork.

What cruise line? Carnival is a no go. Looking at Royal Caribbean.

We are looking at cruising out of Florida. Originally we were looking at Disney, but I think they are a bit pricey.

We need to book airfare, ground transfers and a hotel the night before. Sail dates in late April 2016, May or June 2016. Looking for the best bang for the buck.

We are currently looking at the Royal Caribbean sailing out of Miami for 5 nights with stops in Key West, Florida and Grand Cayman. I don't know if I am too excited about Key West. We want to be able to do excursions that involve wildlife (swimming with dolphins, sting rays, etc). Our 8 year old daughter is special needs and has a keen interest in animals.

What guidance do you have to offer me?

THANKS!!!!

I agree that RCCL is a better choice than Carnival, especially if your first cruise wasn't a great experience. DCL does know kids & cruising, but we agreed after our one DCL cruise that it wasn't worth the 30%+ price tag. RCCL has great kids clubs.

5 Day is a good way to get you feet wet...but I'm not sure Key West is the best choice for children. I was a bit concerned about taking 3 teens there. We opted for parasailing & it was a big hit. But Key West doesn't have good beaches...not sure about the wildlife experiences there. Perhaps go check the Key West thread.

Grand Cayman is terrific--beaches, sting rays, sure to be a hit.

I book all our cruises through a large online TA (I have happily used a couple different ones--we always get great prices & good amenities), then book air & hotel online myself. I have used hotwire several times for the hotel (http://www.betterbidding.com helps me to narrow what hotel we might get--we got an AMAZING deal last year in FLL for a 5* hotel) We either grab the cruise shuttle at the hotel or call for a cab.

Edited by KKB

First of all, which cruise line was your first cruise? I ask because most lines have loyalty programs and while you probably won't get a monetary discount, there are other "perks" for having cruised before.

Carnival was our first cruise. We contacted them after our cruise and they offered us a minimal discount to go and cruise again with them. We had and still have no intention of ever stepping on another Carnival. Perks or no perks, not taking that chance.

THANKS for the info, though.

5 Day is a good way to get you feet wet...but I'm not sure Key West is the best choice for children. I was a bit concerned about taking 3 teens there. We opted for parasailing & it was a big hit. But Key West doesn't have good beaches...not sure about the wildlife experiences there. Perhaps go check the Key West thread.

Grand Cayman is terrific--beaches, sting rays, sure to be a hit.

Key West has some large living coral. That would probably be the only thing we would do. Not much in to shopping and we don't drink so I am afraid it would be a very long, wasted day.

We went to Grand Cayman on our previous cruise and we did the swim wth the sting rays. That was 10 years ago, but it was THE highlight of our cruise. Those are the kinds of experiences we want to give our kids, not a bunch of material things.

Hello,

I am going to say this is my first cruise because I just want to forget the first cruise I did 10 years ago. I am just now convincing myself to try this again.

I will be traveling with hubby and two kids, ages 12 and 8.

I am just starting my search of finding a cruise and am coming up with a million questions. I have contacted a travel agent, but I am not sure how much value she is bringing to the table. I feel like I am still doing most of the footwork.

What cruise line? Carnival is a no go. Looking at Royal Caribbean.

We are looking at cruising out of Florida. Originally we were looking at Disney, but I think they are a bit pricey.

We need to book airfare, ground transfers and a hotel the night before. Sail dates in late April 2016, May or June 2016. Looking for the best bang for the buck.

We are currently looking at the Royal Caribbean sailing out of Miami for 5 nights with stops in Key West, Florida and Grand Cayman. I don't know if I am too excited about Key West. We want to be able to do excursions that involve wildlife (swimming with dolphins, sting rays, etc). Our 8 year old daughter is special needs and has a keen interest in animals.

What guidance do you have to offer me?

THANKS!!!!

Given your excursion choices, I would recommend a cruise that stops in Cozumel. Cozumel and Grand Cayman would be a good choice, but I think both your daughter and son would enjoy Cozumel. Why?

Because you can swim with the dolphins ...

Dolphinshake.jpg

Dolphinswim.jpg

You can swim with the seals ...

Holdingseal.jpg

Sealedwithakiss.jpg

And the Manatees ...

zlManateeI_zps6dc0ae2d.jpg

zlManateeII_zps176d7957.jpg

Continued on post # 8 ...

Edited by Cuizer2

I like the thought of the 5 day cruise on Royal Caribbean. Key West is a very approachable port and the night life/party aspects shouldn't be obvious to your kids. There is a pirate museum, aquarium, key lime pie (my favorite is frozen, removed in chocolate on a stick), nice beaches, the Conch Train which is a hop on, hop off type trolley, the southernmost point in the US, lighthouse museum. If you chose to go to Hemingway' s house there are 50 cats on premises, most of which have double paws. (For your daughter!)

... Continued from post # 6

The place to do this is Chankanaab Park ...

K3-IMG_1100.jpg

In Grand Cayman you can swim with the stingrays ...

IMGP0491.jpg

IMGP0485.jpg

or you can swim with the turtles ...

D8-1.jpg

and the fish ...

Fishs.jpg

At the Turtle Farm ...

zmTFI_zpsc1ae4b66.jpg

Edited by Cuizer2

Norwegian has cruises that go to Cozumel.

Royal Caribbean has cruises that go to Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

MSC has cruises that go to Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

All of the above cruises are for one week.

Also, beware that children are slow to warm up to the stingrays. First of all the name. Second is the strange shape. Third, they know the people have food and will swim up to the people (including the kids) and touch the people looking for food. Young kids don't always see this as potential fun.

Cuizer2,

I have just fallen in love with Cozumel. That is EXACTLY the kinds of experiences we are looking for!!!

I think you are correct about the sting rays as well. We did that on our cruise and I remember being a little aprehensive. I bet my 8 year old would not enjoy it at all.

Hmmmmm..........have to re-think this, but I do want to skip Key West.

THANKS!!!

Another question - has anyone ever sailed on the Empress of the Seas? I can't tell for sure how much fun stuff there is to do on the ship for the kids.

Also, how about the water temperatures in the latter part of April or beginning of May? Will the water be comfortable enough for swimming in Cozumel and wherever else we stop?

THANKS so much!!!

Another question - has anyone ever sailed on the Empress of the Seas? I can't tell for sure how much fun stuff there is to do on the ship for the kids.

Also, how about the water temperatures in the latter part of April or beginning of May? Will the water be comfortable enough for swimming in Cozumel and wherever else we stop?

THANKS so much!!!

The Empress has been out of the Royal Caribbean fleet for quite a while up until this year. For one of the RCI ships, it's the smallest one. And while great if that's what you want, it also does not have all of the bells and whistles that the larger ships would have.

And the cabins are smaller.

I look forward to sailing on her again, but based on what you are apparently looking for, I would look at the 5 night cruise on the Freedom of the Seas out of Fort Lauderdale- that has stops in Cozumel and Belize city. Or the Navigator 6 night.

There's a lot more stuff to do on the ships, more places to hang out, probably more kids to for your kids to spend time with. etc.

As for your second question- Cozumel is warm all of the time. Or hot, depending on what your starting temp is. :)

Good luck!

Also, beware that children are slow to warm up to the stingrays. First of all the name. Second is the strange shape. Third, they know the people have food and will swim up to the people (including the kids) and touch the people looking for food. Young kids don't always see this as potential fun.

Depends on the child...my daughter was about 7 when we did and she absolutely loved it. She's an animal lover, and this was something she thoroughly enjoyed.

OP, I hope you enjoy your second cruise. You didn't indicate why you want to forget the first so hard to know what kind of advice to give you and whether RCCL will be any better. I've sailed Carnival, Princess, and NCL and they're all a lot more similar than they are different. My daughter started cruising at 21 months and has been on a dozen or so cruises. When she was young, she absolutely loved the kids' club--had to blast her out of there to get to spend any time with her at all! LOL.

Have a great time!

I agree with the other posters. While I would love to go back to Key West as a port, my teens were not overly thrilled with it. We just got off the Oasis a couple of weeks ago and that is my kids' favorite ship so far. You might want to consider either an Oasis or freedom class ship if it is within your budget. If you are going during non peak times, prices are pretty reasonable. Your 12-year-old might be getting a little bit too old to enjoy Disney. However, never having been on it, I am not the best judge of that. My kids have loved Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Saint Maarten, all the ships' private islands, and Saint Thomas. Good luck in your search and keep asking questions. There is a wealth of knowledge on this board!

Not sure what your flight prices from Iowa will be, but considering that we usually pay over $1000 per person at peak times for flights from Edmonton, Canada to Florida, I try to extend my visit down there as long as holidays will allow. If you are doing a five day cruise, you might want to spend a few extra days in the area to make it worth your while. In fact, I would really suggest a seven day cruise. Your kids are going to have a blast, which will further enhance your enjoyment, and trust me, they will not want to get off the ship to come home!

Edited by h-sar

Key West has nice beaches?... If they do, I sure didn't find any in my research!

I know, right? :p I can't agree with that comment either, I'm afraid.

...While I would love to go back to Key West as a port, my teens were not overly thrilled with it.

Yeah, I think it's great to go to Key West at least once in your lifetime (I waited in line for half an hour to touch that southernmost monument! haha) but it is certainly not a beach port by any means. It's very commercialized and we found it crowded and the day we were there was quite possibly the hottest I have ever been (with the humidity and all - whew!!). :)

If you're all about impressing your kids, how about going on one of Royal Caribbean's mega ships? Oasis or Allure of the Seas would be a great choice. They're not old ships like Empress, and they have so many activities that neither you, nor your kids, will be bored.

THANKS so much!!!

I have not been on the Empress OTS. However, I know it is a small old ship. It is not likely to have as many kids friendly attractions as the newer ships.

Water temperatures around Cozumel vary from about 75 to 85 (warmer in the summer, cooler in the winter).

I forgot, I going to Roatan, Belize & Cozumel in April aboard the Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston, Texas. The Liberty OTS is a Freedom class ship. In Rotan I hope to spend a little time with the monkeys ...

Me on my cousin's shoulder ...

N4-Picture052.jpg

N3-IMG_1290.jpg

and other creatures ...

N2-IMG_1263.jpg

This will be my first time to Belize.

Liberty OTS is in drydock now, and is getting some upgrades ...

LB_splashaway_hero.jpg

news_rc_LOS_pool_area.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_CWceei5zx19IDtDmDbvsuV1LCbGtAEtBcRru-urQu86rbG9PCg

Edited by Cuizer2

I have not been on the Empress OTS. However, I know it is a small old ship. It is not likely to have as many kids friendly attractions as the newer ships.

Water temperatures around Cozumel vary from about 75 to 85 (warmer in the summer, cooler in the winter).

I forgot, I going to Roatan, Belize & Cozumel in April aboard the Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston, Texas. The Liberty OTS is a Freedom class ship. In Rotan I hope to spend a little time with the monkeys ...

Me on my cousin's shoulder ...

N4-Picture052.jpg

N3-IMG_1290.jpg

OMG these pics are perfect! Love it.

THANK YOU for all of your posts and information. It is all very helpful. I seem to be having a hard time making up my mind. Every time I look at the RCI website then I find something that might be a bit better.

I am starting to think the Empress is not a good idea. I am glancing at the Independence of the Seas now with stops in Cozumel and Belize. The ship looks like more fun and the excursions look to have good options as well.

Now back to square one to find an airline that maybe flies in to Ft Lauderdale. Or possibly fly in to Ft Myers and have a 2 1/2 hour drive to Ft Lauderdale. Looking for input if anyone can help out. We would have to rent a car. Seems like a waste to have to pay for a rented vehicle to sit on the dock while we are on the ship. Is there any other options? Somewhere to turn it in in Ft Lauderdale then pick one up when we return?

I am looking for any suggestions you all have to offer.

Our first cruise was a disaster for many reasons. The first night, some time in the middle of the night the ship turned around and headed back to Miami. We apparently had a very ill person on board. I have no idea why a helicopter was not used. So that shortened all of our ports of calls. We arrived late and hardly had time for the excursions we had planned.

Many of the activities on the ship were a no show by the crew. There was supposed to be this game or a contest or whatever on deck X at whatever time. We would go to check it out and there was no one there.

And to top it all off. The cruise that we were on was primarily filled with employees of one company. It was an employee reward that was given to them. This was not the executives of the company if you know what I mean. These people received a free cruise and the only thing they had to spend there money on was alcohol. They drank the boat dry. Literally. Carnival had to re-stock alcohol at one of the ports of call. You could hear the employees bragging that this was the second time they had drank a boat dry. So most of our cruise was a drunken tattoo show. We don't drink.

Just not a good experience for our first cruise. We really felt trapped. Arriving late at the ports and not being able to have our full day there to do excursions. Plus when you are getting off the boat they want you to stand in line and wait to get your photo taken. Uh, no. We broke out of the line and they quickly tried to herd us back in line. We just kept going and were quickly followed by several other people who didn't want to waste their time in line either.

Sorry to hear about that first cruise. Sounds terrible!

I wouldn't worry about getting a rental car. We fly into FLL for our cruises, and we make sure to stay at a hotel the night before that has shuttle to the dock. After the cruise, there will be taxis lined up waiting to take you where ever you need to go. Now if you are doing a few days pre or post cruise, then by all means rent a car. You can get it at the airport and when you have to turn it in there will be plenty of transportation afterwards. I would not rent a car and park it at the dock while you are on the cruise. You'll be paying for the rental fee AND the parking fee. It would be way cheaper to get a taxi for the day you need it.

We usually do Jet Blue or Virgin, and I've booked r/t tix for less than $300 coming in from the west coast. There may be cheaper lines, but their seats are spacious, jets are modern, all have tv's in front of you, snacks included, Jet Blue gives you as many snacks as you want! JB is my favorite. If I remember correctly JB loads the plane from back to front, that makes SO much sense to me.

I would really suggest to go to Belize. I've been twice and I loved both excursions we did. First one was Goff's Caye which you can clink on my link in my signature to see pics and review. It's a very small island and the snorkeling is awesome! Second time we did Lamanai ruins. Also in my signature. Long day but spectacular site. Really cool speed boat ride on the river too.

Edited by whataboutport

THANK YOU for all of your posts and information. It is all very helpful. I seem to be having a hard time making up my mind. Every time I look at the RCI website then I find something that might be a bit better.

I am starting to think the Empress is not a good idea. I am glancing at the Independence of the Seas now with stops in Cozumel and Belize. The ship looks like more fun and the excursions look to have good options as well.

Now back to square one to find an airline that maybe flies in to Ft Lauderdale. Or possibly fly in to Ft Myers and have a 2 1/2 hour drive to Ft Lauderdale. Looking for input if anyone can help out. We would have to rent a car. Seems like a waste to have to pay for a rented vehicle to sit on the dock while we are on the ship. Is there any other options? Somewhere to turn it in in Ft Lauderdale then pick one up when we return?

I am looking for any suggestions you all have to offer.

Our first cruise was a disaster for many reasons. The first night, some time in the middle of the night the ship turned around and headed back to Miami. We apparently had a very ill person on board. I have no idea why a helicopter was not used. So that shortened all of our ports of calls. We arrived late and hardly had time for the excursions we had planned.

Many of the activities on the ship were a no show by the crew. There was supposed to be this game or a contest or whatever on deck X at whatever time. We would go to check it out and there was no one there.

And to top it all off. The cruise that we were on was primarily filled with employees of one company. It was an employee reward that was given to them. This was not the executives of the company if you know what I mean. These people received a free cruise and the only thing they had to spend there money on was alcohol. They drank the boat dry. Literally. Carnival had to re-stock alcohol at one of the ports of call. You could hear the employees bragging that this was the second time they had drank a boat dry. So most of our cruise was a drunken tattoo show. We don't drink.

Just not a good experience for our first cruise. We really felt trapped. Arriving late at the ports and not being able to have our full day there to do excursions. Plus when you are getting off the boat they want you to stand in line and wait to get your photo taken. Uh, no. We broke out of the line and they quickly tried to herd us back in line. We just kept going and were quickly followed by several other people who didn't want to waste their time in line either.

Thanks for elaborating on why your first cruise was such a disappointment. Wow, I would hate being on a ship with such a large group! I always google the date and ship I'm considering to see if there are any charters, but I doubt that would have uncovered this work group that was on your ship. That sounds miserable! The other things you mentioned wouldn't have bothered me too much, but adding them all up with the company group would have compounded the situation to be sure! I'm glad you're giving cruising another try--I'll bet this experience will be exponentially better than the last one!

Plus when you are getting off the boat they want you to stand in line and wait to get your photo taken. Uh, no. We broke out of the line and they quickly tried to herd us back in line. We just kept going and were quickly followed by several other people who didn't want to waste their time in line either.

Unfortunately that is a problem on Royal Caribbean also.