Island Princess reconfiguration

BarefootTom

The Island Princess has been reconfigured for the Asian market where it will move sometime after mid 2017. In the reconfigure they added 119 cabins, took out the teen club and International Cafe among other things. Now due to fire codes ALL cabins including suites are limited to 1 or 2 passengers. No more 3 or 4 in a cabin.

Personally I do not like this as it is the only Princess ship doing the full Panama Canal from LA. Why they are taking this ship to Asia is puzzlingly as it was built specifically for the Panama Canal.

The island being sent to Asia is new news to me. If that is true, I wonder if there will be any US/western Princess ships left in a few years. I was on the Island soon after the hack job and was not impressed with that part of it, loss of open space and some venues and windowless small gym and way too much vibration in my "new" cabin. Aside from that the crew, food and service were fine.

PS - To my knowledge Island never had an IC and it was very much missed

1. Island Princess never had an International Cafe in the first place.
  2. The Teen Club was not eliminated, just relocated from Deck 12 to Deck 14.
  3. Island was reconfigured with nearly 150 additional cabins with the intent of basing her in Venice each summer due to the size restrictions imposed there. Though that lasted only one summer--but I find it incredulous Island will not be doing Panama Canal cruises after next year.
  4. Checking the post May 2017 online deck plans all cabins that currently hold three or four passengers are still noted as the same.

So would you kindly cite the source of your information regarding redeployment to Asia and the elimination of all third and fourth berths.

You are correct about the teen club and IC. I got the Asia info directly from Princess customer service when I tried to book 3 into a mini suite and was told there are no longer any 3 or 4 passenger cabins. They said the reason is Asians prefer to book adjoining cabins instead of a 3rd or 4th in the same cabin.

The Island Princess has been reconfigured for the Asian market where it will move sometime after mid 2017. In the reconfigure they added 119 cabins, took out the teen club and International Cafe among other things. Now due to fire codes ALL cabins including suites are limited to 1 or 2 passengers. No more 3 or 4 in a cabin.

Personally I do not like this as it is the only Princess ship doing the full Panama Canal from LA. Why they are taking this ship to Asia is puzzlingly as it was built specifically for the Panama Canal.

Better call back again. Your facts seem to be quite wrong.

Not to mention we just got off the Coral full transit in Oct.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

The issues with Venice leads to an understandable problem with anticipating the upcoming "new regulations", then the port decided that these were going to change from those originally publicised. They cannot reconfigure ships as rapidly as you can redraft rules.

The Panama Canal has undergone major changes and it is not entirely clear when the expanded parts will come into operation. Once again larger ships will be able to transit and it would be sensible to wait and see exactly the precise dimensions are required particularly to fit under the Bridge of the Americas. If a number of cruise lines hold back on scheduling canal transits, it could stimulate the extra interest required to fill larger ships and drive down the canal tolls. They have got to be looking at any adjustments to ships should lines feel it's a viable cruise route bearing in mind that a lot of cruisers are price driven in choosing their ship and itinerary.

Regards John

We were on the Island out of Venice last July and not at all impressed with her changes. They also took out one of the lounges and moved the gym which now feels as though it is in a "broom cupboard". It is no longer possible to walk all the way round the Promenade deck because of additional cabins yet they have left up the sign saying how many complete rotations of the deck is 1 mile. We have sailed on a variety of Princess ships but would not go back on the Island and are looking at another line to do a complete Panama cruise later this year.

I'm getting different stories. I checked today and I could book 3?into a mini suite on the 2/3/17 sailing. On the 1/4/17 sailing, the same cabin is available but only for 2. The entire ship is sold out for a party of 3 on the 1/4/17 sailing. They give me some song and dance about capacity but cannot be specific.

After reading reviews of the Island I'm having serious doubts about sailing on it. It sounds much like the Grand which needs a renovation not a refurbishment.

I'm getting different stories. I checked today and I could book 3?into a mini suite on the 2/3/17 sailing. On the 1/4/17 sailing, the same cabin is available but only for 2. The entire ship is sold out for a party of 3 on the 1/4/17 sailing. They give me some song and dance about capacity but cannot be specific.

After reading reviews of the Island I'm having serious doubts about sailing on it. It sounds much like the Grand which needs a renovation not a refurbishment.

Thats the way it works.

All cruise are capacity controlled for 3rd and 4th passengers.

The 3rd and 4th capacity had to be reduced after the last drydock due to the addition of more cabins and the fact the the lifeboat capacity remains the same.

.Simple as that nothing to do with Asia.

Edited by jewelsea21

Just off the Island Princess.

The ship is in great condition, the staff are super and the food is good.

You cannot walk all around on the Promenade Deck as it is blocked off. Just cut across or turn around. The workout facility is small and has no windows.

We had anytime dining and always had a long line to enter the dining room. You can call at 8:00 am to reserve a dining time for that evening.

We also had lines to get into the Princess Theater for evening shows. You must arrive 30 minutes before the show to get a good seat. The shows were excellent and well worth the wait.

The Panama Canal partial transit was so much fun. We also booked the Full Transit on the ferry through Princess. Long day but very interesting. Lunch on the ferry was good.

Great cruise on a very nice ship!

The Coral does not do full transit from LA, at least not in 2017. Yes my memory was wrong about the Teen club and number of new cabins but the part about Asia is correct as is the part of no thirds or fourths.

Perhaps not in 2017 but I can assure you that we were on the full transit from SF to FLL along with Keith and his lovely wife. We cruised from late October into early September. 17 day full transit on Coral Princess.

• 3 weeks later...

You cannot walk all around on the Promenade Deck as it is blocked off. Just cut across or turn around. The workout facility is small and has no windows.

We had anytime dining and always had a long line to enter the dining room. You can call at 8:00 am to reserve a dining time for that evening.

We also had lines to get into the Princess Theater for evening shows. You must arrive 30 minutes before the show to get a good seat. The shows were excellent and well worth the wait.

The Panama Canal partial transit was so much fun. We also booked the Full Transit on the ferry through Princess. Long day but very interesting. Lunch on the ferry was good.

Thanks for the comments. Was there good air conditioning during the cruise? I am terrified of the heat and humidity. Also on the excursion you did on the ferry, was it temperature controlled? Thanks again!

The Island has been configured for $. The Diamond has been configured for the Asian market.

Ships operate under passenger numbers not the number of people who could book a cabin. Even a single person could not add another person in any cabin once x number of passengers had registered for the cruise.

Edited by Pushka

Thanks for the comments. Was there good air conditioning during the cruise? I am terrified of the heat and humidity. Also on the excursion you did on the ferry, was it temperature controlled? Thanks again!

Are you sure this is the right cruise for you? You will be in the tropics for a great deal of the time,where it is Hot, Hot, Hot, and if you are adverse to heat and humidity you will be wanting to stay in the ship the entire time.

The Panama Canal partial transit was so much fun.

Let me echo a couple of these - and a few others. We just got off the 10 day partial Canal transit (14 Jan departure from Ft L). The ship was nice and clean, and the service (hotel) crew was awesome. We took one of the Aft view cabins (B-738). The cabin was a bit smaller and the deck was quite a bit smaller. I suppose they took some extra room for the aft suites. We always take aft view cabins if possible (21 princess cruises), but I won't be taking one again on the Island - nor probably the Coral. I love these ships (4 cruises) but the extra cabins must be putting too much weight on the aft. In moderate to slight sea you can almost get tossed out of bed at night. And, the doors don't latch (unless locked) so they bang back and forth during the night if you like the door open (we put pillows and stuff in the doorway). Also, it's pretty darned noisy (really) when the stabilizers are out or the side thrusters are in play.

Anytime dining became a real bear, even with dining at 8:15 pm due to the lines. Extra folks on-board, but no extra dining. Food and service were very good. On a plus side - the new Horizon Court is well laid out and very friendly.

Lastly, Aft cabin folks get to have Muster in the gym. This is bad. Hot, no seating, long. Stand in lines and wait. Worst Princess muster ever. There were quite a few older folks who just couldn't do it. i was surprised no one passed out (that I saw). Some did finally just move and sit on the exercise machines. Crew was not very helpful - but, maybe because they were new to Princess Muster? This really was not acceptable for Princess.

Else - the voyage was super, the bar staff was the best in a long time, Elite evening service (5 to 7 in Explorers) was outstanding, and even the pursers desk was friendly!

Chances are that Island is being moved to Asia is because, due to alterations, she no longer attracts her regular Princess cruisers in North America, the way that she used to. So Princess took the hint, and will be moving her to a new location.

john