Talk to Me, Volen-fans

auntjoy036

Hi all. Mom and I went to Alaska on the Noordam last summer. It was a great itinerary on a great ship. We're returning to Alaska this summer on the Volendam. I know many of you love this ship. Please share with me your favorite spots, services, and features of the ship. I can't imagine having taken last year's trip without the knowledge I gained on Cruise Critic.

Thanks.

Vicki

Very timely post as we are thinking of booking on the Volendam for a 2 week cruise in March. One of my concerns is the availability of lounge chairs on the Promenade as I love to spend a few hours every afternoon reading in peace and quiet and enjoying the views. I know that the Voldendam has Lanai cabins which come with private lounge chairs and wonder how that impacts on the number of chairs available for the rest of the passengers. I would book a Lanai cabin but the website shows them to be sold out on the dates we are looking at.

Very timely post as we are thinking of booking on the Volendam for a 2 week cruise in March. One of my concerns is the availability of lounge chairs on the Promenade as I love to spend a few hours every afternoon reading in peace and quiet and enjoying the views. I know that the Voldendam has Lanai cabins which come with private lounge chairs and wonder how that impacts on the number of chairs available for the rest of the passengers. I would book a Lanai cabin but the website shows them to be sold out on the dates we are looking at.

there are still chairs all around the promenade deck. The chairs marked as being for lanai guests, directly outside the lanai rooms are not for the general public. All of the others will be though.

Hi all. Mom and I went to Alaska on the Noordam last summer. It was a great itinerary on a great ship. We're returning to Alaska this summer on the Volendam. I know many of you love this ship. Please share with me your favorite spots, services, and features of the ship. I can't imagine having taken last year's trip without the knowledge I gained on Cruise Critic.

Thanks.

Vicki

The atrium piece looks like a Star Trek "warp core" - you'll either know what I mean or you won't. :)

The ship has MIX which I think is an asset over the arrangement that was there before. There's a really cool atmosphere in the Pinnacle Grill (no windows on R Class PG's but the artwork isn't the typical. It seems more New York than "classical". Volendam was my first ever cruise and first ever HAL ship. While a lot of ships that have come out since have provided more memorable trips, she's a special one :)

My favorite Volendam daytime spot, especially in Alaska, is a lounge chair on Lower Promenade Deck. I get the fresh, outdoor air, an expansive view, can see the water. It's comfortable out there. Plus it's sheltered from the "liquid sunshine". ;)

HAL learned its lesson after the first installations of Lanai cabins, and didn't put as many in on this ship. That left more loungers for the general public, so there are still long rows of chairs with good views.

Another good daytime spot is on the aft Lido Deck, but most of the time that area is more exposed than the Lower Promenade.

I've done this particular cruise twice on this ship, mainly for the itinerary, and the day of the week on which it sails. It's a good one.

We did the Christmas cruise on the Volendam and disembarked last week. The ship is in such great condition and has a certain vibe to it that is hard to explain. She really is beautiful. The Mix bar is wonderful as are the comfortable chairs in the piano bar. We also loved the aft deck for a spot of sunshine and a cool beverage. Have a great cruise.

We will board February 2 in Hong Kong. Have cruised twice on the Volendam but not for at least 6 years. It is great to read tge positive comments.

Apart from the Lanai cabins, what else are we going to notice is different?

Apart from the Lanai cabins, what else are we going to notice is different?

When I boarded last April, the Explorers Lounge had been totally destroyed. :mad: The outer easy chairs and tables were still there, but the inner tables and chairs had been removed, and the area was set up like a classroom---which is essentially what it was used for during most of the day. The "seminar" sales pitches were held there. Making it worse, the carpet was removed, and a faux hardwood floor was installed. This made it not only unattractive, but loud since there was nothing to absorb the sound.

Now, there were so many complaints about this that it was supposed to be redone. I have not heard reports, nor seen pictures, to be certain that was done.

Check it out, please! And let us know!

I have been on Volendam four times in three years. Yes you can still find a deck chair most of the time but since the Lanai cabins reserve a lot of them there are way fewer chairs for the rest of the passengers. The Lanai chairs are the prime ones in the center with unobstructed views. The public deck chairs are now towards the stern or bow and many have the steel railing in front of them which blocks part of the view.

When i could not find a chair on LP i would go to the top back pool area and never had a problem there.

My "best kept secret" on the Volendam: the few deck chairs on the aft of the wrap-around promenade. When laying on the chair the view is partially blocked by the high rail, but if the wind and the sun cooperate, it is a great serene spot ideal for a very good book (and an exquisite nap). You just need to get up from the chair every now and then to appreciate the wake. In contrast, the aft promenade in the Vista and Signature ships is narrow with the above metal frame tilting outward instead of inward: a total different feel. I believe Ruth agrees...

When I boarded last April, the Explorers Lounge had been totally destroyed. :mad: The outer easy chairs and tables were still there, but the inner tables and chairs had been removed, and the area was set up like a classroom---which is essentially what it was used for during most of the day. The "seminar" sales pitches were held there. Making it worse, the carpet was removed, and a faux hardwood floor was installed. This made it not only unattractive, but loud since there was nothing to absorb the sound.

Now, there were so many complaints about this that it was supposed to be redone. I have not heard reports, nor seen pictures, to be certain that was done.

Check it out, please! And let us know!

Ruth,

From an earlier search on CC, I have learned that you have reported fondly of the two aft cabins on deck 7 (7086 and 7083). Do you have any recent experience and or comments on this?

Ruth,

From an earlier search on CC, I have learned that you have reported fondly of the two aft cabins on deck 7 (7086 and 7083). Do you have any recent experience and or comments on this?

I think you may have confused me with someone else. I do recall one or two other people praising those cabins (especially port side), but I've never stayed in either one. Wish I could help you. Perhaps someone who knows will see this and reply?

I think you may have confused me with someone else. I do recall one or two other people praising those cabins (especially port side), but I've never stayed in either one. Wish I could help you. Perhaps someone who knows will see this and reply?

Okay, must have remembered that wrong, sorry for the mixup.