NCL pricing

surran12

I have sailed with NCL twice prior and lately with Disney. I have been pricing NCL lately for 2017 or possibly 2018 and am staggered by how much the prices have gone up. I understand prices rise I just wasn't expecting by the amounts I am seeing. I last sailed on the Dawn in 2013 in an SC category room for $4650 the cheapest I am seeing for an SC on the Dawn now is $7100+. The ship will be 4 years older than it was then and the price has gone up by 50%. I now see I can no longer stay in a suite which isn't the end of the world I don't with Disney anyhow, but I was wondering have balcony prices increased by this much as well or is it mainly suite pricing that has increased this drastically?

Thanks for any information

I have sailed with NCL twice prior and lately with Disney. I have been pricing NCL lately for 2017 or possibly 2018 and am staggered by how much the prices have gone up. I understand prices rise I just wasn't expecting by the amounts I am seeing. I last sailed on the Dawn in 2013 in an SC category room for $4650 the cheapest I am seeing for an SC on the Dawn now is $7100+. The ship will be 4 years older than it was then and the price has gone up by 50%. I now see I can no longer stay in a suite which isn't the end of the world I don't with Disney anyhow, but I was wondering have balcony prices increased by this much as well or is it mainly suite pricing that has increased this drastically?

Thanks for any information

Did you just check by doing a mock booking?

When are you looking? For my sailing in November out of New Orleans, the SC on the Dawn is $2699.

Come join us!

Edit: In regards to your question about balcony pricing, we booked a mid ship balcony for <1000pp, and our booking included the Beverage and Specialty Dining package. This is a much better deal than what we got on the Dawn 6 or 7 years ago.

Edited by TheDougOut

Agree. I am paying much more on a suite on the Gem than I did last year. Granted I get free this and that but I would prefer to pay the lower price and add what I want. I miss "Freestyle cruising.

Bonni

Free Style is gone. I see they are trying the all inclusive on the sky which just means drinks (and NOT coffees) are included. What if I don't drink? Then I am subsidizing other peoples drinking. Very sad to see the direction NCL is going.

When are you looking? For my sailing in November out of New Orleans, the SC on the Dawn is $2699.

Come join us!

Edit: In regards to your question about balcony pricing, we booked a mid ship balcony for <1000pp, and our booking included the Beverage and Specialty Dining package. This is a much better deal than what we got on the Dawn 6 or 7 years ago.

May I ask what date that is. I just went and looked and the cheapest I can find for 4 of us on the Dawn in November for an SC is 5895. significantly better than anything I have seen in 2017 which is what my start date for my search was.

The Boston to Bermuda itineraries are sky high this year. NCL will be losing a couple of weeks due to the refurbishment. Not sure if that is the reason why. I booked a family suite (no balcony for the Dawn October 21) back in October, the price has gone up $300 per person!! :eek: I was actually thinking about downgrading to a balcony cabin (all of our friends are booked on the 8th deck), but the prices are so high, I really wouldn't be saving too much!!

But ... just got this email. "Hurry, Get A Free Bottle of Wine & Chocolate Covered Strawberries" Wow, Wow, Wow. "Free At Sea" no kidding - how much is that worth again ? As platinum members, we already get them - no thanks, not enough to offset the higher prices we are seeing doing what was once "freestyle crusing" on NCL.

Prices out of NYC aren't much better ... not that RCI or CCL with their limited availability locally, are "competitive".

Now, perhaps Andy Stuart can come with up with offers like those from Oceania that his boss is known for, then we will - perhaps - have another look. :D Keep getting those slick & upscale brochures.

But ... just got this email. "Hurry, Get A Free Bottle of Wine & Chocolate Covered Strawberries" Wow, Wow, Wow. "Free At Sea" no kidding - how much is that worth again ? As platinum members, we already get them - no thanks, not enough to offset the higher prices we are seeing doing what was once "freestyle crusing" on NCL.

Prices out of NYC aren't much better ... not that RCI or CCL with their limited availability locally, are "competitive".

Now, perhaps Andy Stuart can come with up with offers like those from Oceania that his boss is known for, then we will - perhaps - have another look. :D Keep getting those slick & upscale brochures.

HAHA I know what you mean. It seems like I get an Oceania brochure every week or sometimes more.

Granted I get free this and that but I would prefer to pay the lower price and add what I want. I miss "Freestyle cruising.

For many others, "Freestyle" means exactly the opposite: they prefer to have everything included in cruise fare and have fewer added costs to pay. Of course, Freestyle Cruising never promised either of those things, but that's what NCL gets for choosing a trademark that is so easy to misinterpret.

Prices have gone up on some sailings, down on others. It depends which cruises you are following, but the average price for all categories has been trending up for the past 6 months:

pricing_ncl_zpse53isg5p.jpg

Compared to last summer they are charging about $20-$30 more per person per day in lower categories, about $40 pppd more for suites. (I think that this site mistakenly treats mini-suites as suites, so the average price increase for true suites could be higher.)

NCL vs. the other major players:

pricing_all_zpsu7crm1md.jpg

NCL is in the middle group along with HAL, RCCL, and Princess. It used to be the least expensive of the four, but now they all have approximately the same average pricing (with lots of fluctuations). I would also point out that NCL's prices started creeping up with respect to its main competitors around 2011, long before FDR took over.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

I thought freestyle pertained to not having set dining times and tables and not having to dress up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. I am paying much more on a suite on the Gem than I did last year. Granted I get free this and that but I would prefer to pay the lower price and add what I want. I miss "Freestyle cruising.

Bonni

:D Strikes me kind of funny because the all inclusive model is expensive and the true pay as you go gets the dreaded "Nickel and Dimed" posts going. Not sure NCL can win here.

:D Strikes me kind of funny because the all inclusive model is expensive and the true pay as you go gets the dreaded "Nickel and Dimed" posts going. Not sure NCL can win here.

There are so many different people that it's impossible to please everyone. People that like a more all inclusive feel to cruising can pick NCL, those that don't can book with a different cruise line to have a more pay as you go experience. (I'm in the latter category my self.)

As it should. Why would any for-profit co want to lose more and make less from its business operation?

Have no problem with that, it's the way it's marketed that turns me off (and yes, I have the same issue with any other company that does it).

As it should. Why would any for-profit co want to lose more and make less from its business operation?

I think the point he was trying to make is that some pax actually think they are getting free drinks etc. lol

My gem cruise Jan 2 cost me $1800 for 3 in an inside with tax and port included

I booked before insides were being given perks and I'm thrilled I did because once they started giving insides some perks like free sdp and ubp the price went to $2600

Then a few days before the cruise they dropped all the perks for insides and the fire sale price was $2300

Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In my personal shopping experience everything has gone up including cruises. I just bite the bullet and book when the promos are something I really like. We have looked at other cruise lines and my DH cannot convince me to change because in the end I love not having to dress up. IN 2017 we are looking at an anniversary cruise which I voted for NCL and he is trying to get me to sail down the Mississippi on a River Boat. Hmm ship or boat guess which one I chose.;) By the way the River Boat costs more than a suite with UBP on NCL though you do get to ride in a bus to sight-see at no additional cost.

For many others, "Freestyle" means exactly the opposite: they prefer to have everything included in cruise fare and have fewer added costs to pay. Of course, Freestyle Cruising never promised either of those things, but that's what NCL gets for choosing a trademark that is so easy to misinterpret.

Prices have gone up on some sailings, down on others. It depends which cruises you are following, but the average price for all categories has been trending up for the past 6 months:

pricing_ncl_zpse53isg5p.jpg

Compared to last summer they are charging about $20-$30 more per person per day in lower categories, about $40 pppd more for suites. (I think that this site mistakenly treats mini-suites as suites, so the average price increase for true suites could be higher.)

NCL vs. the other major players:

pricing_all_zpsu7crm1md.jpg

NCL is in the middle group along with HAL, RCCL, and Princess. It used to be the least expensive of the four, but now they all have approximately the same average pricing (with lots of fluctuations). I would also point out that NCL's prices started creeping up with respect to its main competitors around 2011, long before FDR took over.

I remember posting something re: your last sentence above and got a s******* of c*** for it. Guess it takes awhile for some to grasp.

Agreed. They cannot. However, an option for all categories to be all - inclusive or non-inclusive with a choice to choose one of any for each person would be an awesome change.

When we took our first cruise, liked the cheap initial price but didn't like the bill at the end of the cruise. Wife and I used to say that it's like paying for another cruise when you settle up at the end of the cruise. Long cruise, a few beers each afternoon, specialty restaurant or two along with the service charge, it adds up (no complaint though).

The current model with more stuff paid for up front by being included is a nice option for most. Doesn't fit all though. I get that and so does NCL.

When we took our first cruise, liked the cheap initial price but didn't like the bill at the end of the cruise. Wife and I used to say that it's like paying for another cruise when you settle up at the end of the cruise. Long cruise, a few beers each afternoon, specialty restaurant or two along with the service charge, it adds up (no complaint though).

The current model with more stuff paid for up front by being included is a nice option for most. Doesn't fit all though. I get that and so does NCL.

I just feel that the current model with more stuff paid for up front dilutes the whole Free Style idea. How do I know today how many specialty dinners I will want in a few months etc.? Or where I want to eat them... JMHO

We are not big drinkers and that seems to be the perk they are baking into the price above all. I think those that don't drink or drink very little would like a different option to choose, pick a perk and if you want cash it in for half it's value towards your cruise. So if the value of the UBP is $1000 you could choose to cash that in for a $500 discount on your cruise fare and you would not have the UBP. That seems to be a fair compromise that still holds on to some of the way it used to be.