Carnival corp please read

Cruisegirl6

That if you get to the port around 12:30 pm, you can walk on to the ship around 1 pm, drop off your bags and enjoy 2 hours of fun before the safety drill?

Usually by that time, those who have to be first are done with the food, at their rooms unpacking.

No cattle call, no me first, just a nice walk on to the ship, to your room and on to the fun.

Am I the only one who deliberately arrives at the cruise terminal as late as possible? I'm the guy who checks in around 2:00-2:30pm, when I can walk right up to a check-in desk without standing in line, then walk right onboard without stopping, and go straight to my stateroom to drop my bags off since it will already be available. Not only that, but I can also enjoy a peaceful late lunch since the hordes of people with their carry ons at the buffet waiting for their cabins will be long gone.

Maybe they could do something that airlines might be doing. I heard that those left over seats might be put up for the highest bidder as upgrades instead of frequent flyer points. I could see the cruiseline considering this they could rake in easy money easier for those eager to pay for last minute FTTF.

That if you get to the port around 12:30 pm, you can walk on to the ship around 1 pm, drop off your bags and enjoy 2 hours of fun before the safety drill?

Usually by that time, those who have to be first are done with the food, at their rooms unpacking.

No cattle call, no me first, just a nice walk on to the ship, to your room and on to the fun.

Well, if you don't have a check in window of 12:30PM or earlier you will not longer be able to do that.

So far everyone is saying they are getting 10:30AM times so they are happy. Someone has to get the 2:30PM slots eventually.

it is exactly this rationale that has led to the introduction of a staggered check in process. The "me first" attitude of wanting to get on the ship at the soonest opportunity to get maximum benefit of the first day is the crux of the problem. A large number of pushing, shoving, desperate people clogging the terminal as soon as the doors open creates unnecessary chaos, delays and long waits for everyone.

Staggered check in solves that problem.

However, there will still be those who can't grasp the greater benefit because they can't see past their own selfish perspective.

If you want to be one of the first to board, you have several options: Have platinum status, purchase fttf or select one of the first check in times.

The problem is you don't want to be limited in your options and want the freedom to let everyone show up early and shove your way to the front.

In the greater scheme of things a couple hours difference in when you board is insignificant, even if you have mobility issues and a desperate need for immediate and multiple martinis.

The big picture is there if you choose to see it. I reckon the haze is too great for you to do so.

Oh the first world problems.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Isn't that the truth!! People are fleeing their countries and entering disgusting relocation camps to keep their families alive and we're complaining because we can't be first in line to board a cruise ship and pig out at the buffet.

This should really make you stop for a moment and give thanks for all our blessings.

Isn't that the truth!! People are fleeing their countries and entering disgusting relocation camps to keep their families alive and we're complaining because we can't be first in line to board a cruise ship and pig out at the buffet.

This should really make you stop for a moment and give thanks for all our blessings.

Sure, and your same comment could be applied to any forum dedicated to recreational or athletic activity just as well. But this is a forum about cruising so if someone wants to complain about a cruise line policy, well, this is the place to do it. If they want the cruise line to read it, that's a different matter. But using unrelated social commentary to belittle someones point about cruising is a real stretch and this isn't the appropriate venue in my opinion.

Sure, and your same comment could be applied to any forum dedicated to recreational or athletic activity just as well. But this is a forum about cruising so if someone wants to complain about a cruise line policy, well, this is the place to do it. If they want the cruise line to read it, that's a different matter. But using unrelated social commentary to belittle someones point about cruising is a real stretch and this isn't the appropriate venue in my opinion.

I agree. I'm tired of people bringing crap like this up constantly. Why should we almost be shamed because we have decent lives? There is a lot more I could and want to say but I won't.

I agree. I'm tired of people bringing crap like this up constantly. Why should we almost be shamed because we have decent lives? There is a lot more I could and want to say but I won't.

Hear, Hear! Well said, both of you. I'm so sick of those ridiculous, totally inappropriate shaming comments.:mad:

Am I the only one who deliberately arrives at the cruise terminal as late as possible? I'm the guy who checks in around 2:00-2:30pm, when I can walk right up to a check-in desk without standing in line, then walk right onboard without stopping, and go straight to my stateroom to drop my bags off since it will already be available. Not only that, but I can also enjoy a peaceful late lunch since the hordes of people with their carry ons at the buffet waiting for their cabins will be long gone.

You are not the only person. I was delayed arriving to port due to my daughter forgetting a few items. It turned out to be the best thing. We arrived late and walked right on to the ship. Every cruise since then we plan to arrive around 2pm but I understand everyone can't do this. We normally have a rental car so even if we have to check out the hotel by 11a, we have our own transportation to enjoy the city for a few hours.

We have a cruise in December 2016... I already have a 10:30AM check-in time. Once you sign up with this does it go away? We took a cruise on the Triumph over Thanksgiving and had staggered check-in AND FTTF and we were on enjoying the ship by 11AM but I am now considering NOT getting FTTF because the perks are not as nice with an early staggered check-in.

Once I choose a time do I lose it?

But doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the staggered thing. If a significant number of FTTF and Plats do this, you will have chaos in the early slots causing the whole thing to back up. Also, you risk having an over-zealous or ill-informed security person not allowing you to enter because your boarding pass lists a later time.

Platinum/Diamond, Suites, and FTTF all board BEFORE regular boarding, so ... no, this will not cause a back-up. In fact, it allows more people who have regular boarding and want an earlier slot to be able to get one.

Platinum/Diamond, Suites, and FTTF all board BEFORE regular boarding, so ... no, this will not cause a back-up. In fact, it allows more people who have regular boarding and want an earlier slot to be able to get one.

Picking a time isn't about boarding. It's about checking in. And I still say people should choose the time that they actually do plan to arrive for check in. Not some random time later in the day. It makes more sense (in my opinion) to do as ask. Some people - many people may want the later slots just the same. I for one am not interested in the 10 am slot.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Hear, Hear! Well said, both of you. I'm so sick of those ridiculous, totally inappropriate shaming comments.:mad:

I wasn't trying to shame any one person, I was simply agreeing with someone who called these complaints 1st world problems. I have no problem with someone complaining about a company's policy, it's the "this isn't fair" whine that I find "totally inappropriate." I'm not even sure how this isn't fair - it's simply first come, first serve.

But I do appreciate your gracious way of disagreeing - not shaming at all.

I wasn't trying to shame anyone - sorry if you took it that way. I was just commenting that sometimes we (note I said we both here and in my original comment) do seem to get upset about things that seem a little unimportant in the scheme of things. I'm just as guilty as anybody else.

My post must have come out different than what I meant (don't you hate when that happens). When I saw the post about first world problems it made me stop and think that I take my blessings for granted. Sorry that I didn't express that better. I certainly didn't mean to upset so many people.

Picking a time isn't about boarding. It's about checking in. And I still say people should choose the time that they actually do plan to arrive for check in. Not some random time later in the day. It makes more sense (in my opinion) to do as ask. Some people - many people may want the later slots just the same. I for one am not interested in the 10 am slot.

I understand what you are saying, but even given that it is about check-in, Priority have dedicated check-in lines and are told that they can check-in at their leisure. The best way for Carnival to handle this is to NOT have Priority choose a time at all, but that is not how they have elected to do it.

Edited by Schoifmom

I understand what you are saying, but even given that it is about check-in, Priority have dedicated check-in lines and are told that they can check-in at their leisure. The best way for Carnival to handle this is to NOT have Priority choose a time at all, but that is not how they have elected to do it.

I can agree with that and have said as much before. Next best thing though, is just to do as asked and then abide by the time you choose. I know not everyone agrees.

I wasn't trying to shame anyone - sorry if you took it that way. I was just commenting that sometimes we (note I said we both here and in my original comment) do seem to get upset about things that seem a little unimportant in the scheme of things. I'm just as guilty as anybody else.

My post must have come out different than what I meant (don't you hate when that happens). When I saw the post about first world problems it made me stop and think that I take my blessings for granted. Sorry that I didn't express that better. I certainly didn't mean to upset so many people.

I appreciate your response and thank you for it. It seems that lately when people have a problem with something in here, someone always has to throw in the "First world problems" cliche. Well darn right it is! I live in the first world so frankly that is what matters most to me.

We are discussing cruising here, folks and as consumers we have the right to voice how we feel about certain things. Now whether or not it does any good is another story.

However, this is a forum specifically for cruising and all the ins and outs and ups and downs related thereto. It infuriates me to no end when people feel the need to bring up the fact that there are refugees, tornadoes, whatever and what have you and that we should be made to feel thankful that we can cruise at all. I am. But all that should be spoken of here is just the cruise experience itself. Please don't bring up politics, religion, or bad things in the world or tell me how I should feel. Cruising and talking about cruising is one of the few escapes some of us have.

I wasn't trying to shame any one person, I was simply agreeing with someone who called these complaints 1st world problems. I have no problem with someone complaining about a company's policy, it's the "this isn't fair" whine that I find "totally inappropriate." I'm not even sure how this isn't fair - it's simply first come, first serve.

But I do appreciate your gracious way of disagreeing - not shaming at all.

You're correct: my comment was not shaming.:cool: And although the "it's not fair!" whine may be just that - a whine, it is perfectly appropriate to the Carnival boards of a site called "Cruise Critic".

FWIW, I agree with you in disagreeing with the OP - it's not unfair. I happen to feel the OP wants to have her cake and eat it too - to have both the benefits of booking last minute as well as the benefits of booking early.

I don't take my blessings for granted. I'm well-aware that I am extremely blessed. And for those many blessings I am constantly thankful. I don't require shaming (yes, that's what it came across as) from a stranger online to remind me to be thankful.

I appreciate your response and thank you for it. It seems that lately when people have a problem with something in here, someone always has to throw in the "First world problems" cliche. Well darn right it is! I live in the first world so frankly that is what matters most to me.

We are discussing cruising here, folks and as consumers we have the right to voice how we feel about certain things. Now whether or not it does any good is another story.

However, this is a forum specifically for cruising and all the ins and outs and ups and downs related thereto. It infuriates me to no end when people feel the need to bring up the fact that there are refugees, tornadoes, whatever and what have you and that we should be made to feel thankful that we can cruise at all. I am. But all that should be spoken of here is just the cruise experience itself. Please don't bring up politics, religion, or bad things in the world or tell me how I should feel. Cruising and talking about cruising is one of the few escapes some of us have.

And thank you for your response. I'm not someone who likes to stir things up. You're right this is a cruise forum and while things that bother some people don't bother me, they have the right to air their grievances.

. Also, you risk having an over-zealous or ill-informed security person not allowing you to enter because your boarding pass lists a later time.

This is probably going to emerge as the major issue with the staggered times. Here's a actual example (from an encounter in JAX, which in Dec, 2015, did not have the staggered check in?)

" Arrived at JAXPORT at 10:40am, at port (not ship) check in, SEC Guard noticed our check in time was 12:30 (we never even noticed this on the boarding pass)? We are Platinum, but when we pointed that out, he just said turn around and come back at 12:30??

So, we turned around, and re-entered the port a few minutes later in the opposite line from the first encounter. This time, the guard passed us right through to pax drop off. We went into check in at terminal, checked in and waited with the other Diamond/Platinum/FTTF pax, who apparently used the left lane at PORT check in:):)"

The issue here is who is going to ensure that the Sec Guards at the port and terminal check in, get proper information, when changes are made at each port? Carnival, the local port authority etc...???

Can anyone say Confusion:confused::confused:...the Port, Terminal, hotel shuttles, taxis and Carnival's own website and customer service.