Delta baggage with 2 separate tickets

SCHappilyRetired

Morning all! I have my international business flight all set JFK to CDG. I am now going to book my domestic flight MYR-ATL-JFK. When I called Delta to see if they would have my bags go straight through from MYR to CDG the rep said "they should" just show them both tickets when checking in. I didn't get that warm fuzzy feeling after I hung up. So I bow to the experienced travelers now to see if in fact this is true. OR do I need to pick up and recheck my bags at JFK. I think I change terminals at JFK correct? Thank you!

OP - was this the international ticket?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2252178&page=2

Were you unable to book your entire trip on this ticket?

I remember that now. Yeah, for that kind of price for lay-flat seats across the pond, I'd be splitting my ticket too!

To answer the OP's question, I have read a fair amount of anecdotal experiences that if you are on the same airline, they'll check your bags thru on separate tickets, but ultimately the final word will come from the ticket agent at MYR when you check in.

OP - was this the international ticket?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2252178&page=2

Were you unable to book your entire trip on this ticket?

Yes. However, our plans changed from July 4th to Aug 29th so i did not book then. Sales opened up in October but I was unable to get a Z fare BCN to JFK so I waited and kept checking often. It was pretty frustrating. Then, I was at a party on 12/17 drinking decaf coffee or I thought it was! So at 2:30 in the morning, still awake, I gave Delta a try. Low and behold a Z fare R/T for $2,595 pp. Needless to say, my fingers couldn't type fast enough. I was able to use my 190,000 sky miles which brought it down to $695.00. Don't you just love regular coffee!!

I did not book my domestic ticket then as I was not sure whether I would fly Delta or Spirit into NY. After investigating the cost of overnights, meals etc if I took Spirit flying day before, it was less to fly Delta. Hence, now I am ready to book Delta.

Thanks!

Yes. However, our plans changed from July 4th to Aug 29th so i did not book then. Sales opened up in October but I was unable to get a Z fare BCN to JFK so I waited and kept checking often. It was pretty frustrating. Then, I was at a party on 12/17 drinking decaf coffee or I thought it was! So at 2:30 in the morning, still awake, I gave Delta a try. Low and behold a Z fare R/T for $2,595 pp. Needless to say, my fingers couldn't type fast enough. I was able to use my 190,000 sky miles which brought it down to $695.00. Don't you just love regular coffee!!

I did not book my domestic ticket then as I was not sure whether I would fly Delta or Spirit into NY. After investigating the cost of overnights, meals etc if I took Spirit flying day before, it was less to fly Delta. Hence, now I am ready to book Delta.

Thanks!

Glad you are flying business class, but I had to cringe when I read that you used 190K Skymiles to reduce the cost by $1,900. Ouch! You are MUCH better off using miles for almost anything else. And if those miles came from using the DL credit card, you would have been much better off getting and using a 2% cash back card (then using the cash to pay the $2,595) rather than using miles for the 1% value of miles that you got. Oh well. At least it sounds like you are happy!

Edited by frugaltravel

Glad you are flying business class, but I had to cringe when I read that you used 190K Skymiles to reduce the cost by $1,900. Ouch! You are MUCH better off using miles for almost anything else. And if those miles came from using the DL credit card, you would have been much better off getting and using a 2% cash back card (then using the cash to pay the $2,595) rather than using miles for the 1% value of miles that you got. Oh well. At least it sounds like you are happy!

Yes happy. Not on a DL CC. Unhappy that this will probably be my last oversees trip. I thought it best to use them for this than looking at them and not being able to use them. One never knows what is around the corner of life! Thanks for the info though.

Just wondering... if you might want get to JFK a day early... hate to have your domestic flight delayed and miss the international flight. Since they're not on the same ticket, they won't help you reschedule.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Or paranoid.

Peg

Just wondering... if you might want get to JFK a day early... hate to have your domestic flight delayed and miss the international flight. Since they're not on the same ticket, they won't help you reschedule.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Or paranoid.

Peg

You are correct and not paranoid. Even though there are 3 DL flights that will get me there on time for the Int'l flight that day, something can still go wrong. We are still looking into day before. If so, we will visit our son and DIL in Manhattan for a nice dinner. Thank you.

We always fly in the afternoon before our international flight and spend the night. My international flights are usually Business or First on miles and I will not risk missing that flight because some stupid commuter jet had issues that morning! If there is a weather issue the day before and our flight can't get out we rent a car and drive 7 hrs to SFO or 5.5 hrs to PDX!

Technically, and I repeat, technically, DL has a policy that it will NOT through check bags on two separate DL tickets. However, this is observed more in the breach than in the observance, in my exposure to anecdotal experience.

One thing is that you are NOT protected if your first flight goes mechanical or has weather issues. To DL, you have two separate tickets that have NO relationship with each other.

I'd go to NYC a day early and have a bit more peace of mind.