Currency Conversion - UK guests

Jarronwood

HI everyone,

Its 6 weeks away until we sail and I've completed the check in online process and requested my luggage tags.

Can someone advise which Option I should select as I've printed out the Xpress Pass but need to select option A or B regarding the currency conversion.

Option A - I choose to pay my onboard charges in the currency of my card. I choose to use the Azamara currency conversion program.

OR

Option B - I choose to have my credit card issuer convert my onboard charges to the currency of my card in lieu of participating in the Azamara currency programme.

What is the general consensus on the options?:confused:

HI everyone,

Its 6 weeks away until we sail and I've completed the check in online process and requested my luggage tags.

Can someone advise which Option I should select as I've printed out the Xpress Pass but need to select option A or B regarding the currency conversion.

Option A - I choose to pay my onboard charges in the currency of my card. I choose to use the Azamara currency conversion program.

OR

Option B - I choose to have my credit card issuer convert my onboard charges to the currency of my card in lieu of participating in the Azamara currency programme.

While I am not positive what the Azamara currency conversion program consists of, I do know that most, if not all US credit card companies make the currency conversion at the most favorable $1.0M rate which is the best available.

Most, if not all other conversion programs use a worse to much worse conversion rate. Have had many stores in foreign countries attempt to convert their currency to US dollars and everytime the conversions are worse than my credit card by several percentage points. Buying foreign currency from my local bank is equally bad. Using ATM's and credit cards should always get you the best conversion rate so even though I don't know the Azamara conversion rate, I am 100% positive I would take Option B and quite sure the response from other knowledgeable participants in CC will echo that recommendation.

HI everyone,

OR

Definitely B

I agree, generally advice to UK travellers is B - that's what I opted for on my last cruise, but Azamara still charged me in pounds Stirling!

It also depends whether your credit card charges for conversion. I have an Aqua card that doesn't make any charges at all for foreign currency purchases and always gives a really good rate, as well as paying cash back. I always use it abroad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would go for being billed in local currency, especially if your card provider does not charge a currency conversion fee .... if they do then its a closer call, especially as sterling has had a torrid start to 2016 and is falling in value on a daily basis.

If you want the rate that your card company use (some are better than others. My Amex BA is awful, but I collect miles) then go for B and keep it in USD. I would highly recommend you point this out at check in because on more than one occasion they have converted it using the Azamara rate by mistake.

Phil

Defiantly B.

If you don't already have one, get a CC that doesn't charge a conversion rate from foreign currency.

Mine is a Post Office C.C, but there are others. I keep it solely for foreign transactions- it is my holiday card.

We always have the bill in dollars as our card company doesn't charge a conversion fee. Be sure to make that clear though as we were once charged in sterling with their fee. Check if your card charges as it may be beneficial to use their conversion rate.

Definitely B

I work in the industry. Always B. Not just with Azamara, but also when an ATM offers you to pay in your home currency or a payment terminal in a store/hotel offers you to pay in your card's currency. All Azamara, ATMs and the stores/hotels do is add a profit layer - at your expense. Always make sure you're charged in local currency and leave it up to your card/bank. Always.

We always have the bill in dollars as our card company doesn't charge a conversion fee.

That's one of the best marketing schemes of the industry and the number of people that bought into it is amazing. Yes, they stopped charging you the fixed service fee of $2.50 or whatever it was per transaction, but they simply billed it into their mark-ups on the exchange rates and didn't lose a penny. You're not worse of, just not better of either. You just think you are and that was the plan :)

That's one of the best marketing schemes of the industry and the number of people that bought into it is amazing. Yes, they stopped charging you the fixed service fee of $2.50 or whatever it was per transaction, but they simply billed it into their mark-ups on the exchange rates and didn't lose a penny. You're not worse of, just not better of either. You just think you are and that was the plan :)

And I've bought into the Avios collection routine. I know I get a really bad rate, made worse by the fact that unlike Virgin, BA doesn't offer a Visa alternative, just Amex. I need to rethink my strategy here I feel.

Phil

Always choose B, we use a Halifax Clarity MasterCard no exchange fees and top exchange rates as well. Only once had a problem with being charged in US$ and that was on Princess who did refund all the charges. That said we board Regal Princess today and Azamara Journey on the 27th, maybe we will be well advised to double check!