Cancelled cruise that was paid in full. NO Points?

sparkinator

Due to cruise tomorrow. We had to cancel due to a family member being sick. We didn't have cruise insurance, so I knew my money was gone. I accept and understand that. No problem. But I was just informed we don't get any points either, even though NCL is paid if full for the cruise.

I understand you don't get points until after the cruise, and we aren't going, but NCL gets their money, so why not give me the points? What am I missing?

Due to cruise tomorrow. We had to cancel due to a family member being sick. We didn't have cruise insurance, so I knew my money was gone. I accept and understand that. No problem. But I was just informed we don't get any points either, even though NCL is paid if full for the cruise.

I understand you don't get points until after the cruise, and we aren't going, but NCL gets their money, so why not give me the points? What am I missing?

It's really pretty simple. You get your points after you cruise. You will not be cruising therefore you will not be getting your points.

Harriet

It's really pretty simple. You get your points after you cruise. You will not be cruising therefore you will not be getting your points.

Harriet

You must not have read my entire post. I understand the policy COMPLETELY. I'm not questioning what the policy is, I'm questioning the reasoning.

This is actually fairly standard. You usually don't get airline miles if you don't take the flight or hotel points if you don't make the stay.

Not saying it's right or wrong, but it is generally the way these loyalty schemes work.

Those points actually are worth something. :D

Those Lat points aren't worth much anyway, so it's not that big of a deal. I just was a little taken back that they wouldn't grant them to us, with them getting my money and then not having to deal with me for the entire week, they couldn't at least let me gain the points.

Those points actually are worth something. :D

Those Lat points aren't worth much anyway, so it's not that big of a deal. I just was a little taken back that they wouldn't grant them to us, with them getting my money and then not having to deal with me for the entire week, they couldn't at least let me gain the points.

I actually do agree with you, more so, because they probably will re-rent your cabin even at a lesser rate they're still making more money. However it's their rules and only they know why.

Harriet

If it's any consolation, I agree with you. ;)

They don't amount to much, just after me paying them 1800 bucks and not getting to enjoy what I paid them for, giving the points would be a nice cheap gesture.

I booked directly with NCL, so they know that I'm not booking and cancelling for some other points through a travel agent. I didn't buy insurance through them, so they know that.

I'm not sure if they could determine if I bought insurance through another party, so maybe there could be a reason someone would buy insurance and cancel the cruise for points. I don't know if that could be a racket someone would try. I just thought of that scenario while typing.

I will assume NCL follows similar thought as Princess. What happened there a long time ago is that points did accrue in this circumstance, however there were two problems.

1> People were buying short cruises on last minute sales with no intention of going to 'buy up' status. This had serious adverse effects on onboard revenue, staff income, etc.

2> It inflated the ranks of certain status tiers to make them almost unusual (still an issue there as sometimes the elite party has to turn people away.)

So they went to a similar system where loyalty level is based solely on how many days you spend on ship...

So maybe the policy should be based on money spent on cruising and not on number of nights at sea, as it is now? Is that what I am hearing?

No, I booked a 7 night cruise. I paid for a 7 night cruise. NCL was paid fully by me. I cancelled at the last minute, so they don't have to bother with me or my family at all because I didn't cruise with them.

I understand that they spent money in advance for my scheduled cruise, and I didn't ask for a refund. I understand why they have a cut-off date for refunds. I just don't understand why they couldn't give me the points for the cruise, because I paid for it.

I will assume NCL follows similar thought as Princess. What happened there a long time ago is that points did accrue in this circumstance, however there were two problems.

1> People were buying short cruises on last minute sales with no intention of going to 'buy up' status. This had serious adverse effects on onboard revenue, staff income, etc.

2> It inflated the ranks of certain status tiers to make them almost unusual (still an issue there as sometimes the elite party has to turn people away.)

So they went to a similar system where loyalty level is based solely on how many days you spend on ship...

Thanks for the insight. That could be their reasoning.

They don't amount to much, just after me paying them 1800 bucks and not getting to enjoy what I paid them for, giving the points would be a nice cheap gesture.

I booked directly with NCL, so they know that I'm not booking and cancelling for some other points through a travel agent. I didn't buy insurance through them, so they know that.

I'm not sure if they could determine if I bought insurance through another party, so maybe there could be a reason someone would buy insurance and cancel the cruise for points. I don't know if that could be a racket someone would try. I just thought of that scenario while typing.

If people booked a cruise, bought Inurance and then purposely canceled just to get points… I would consider that Insurance fraud.

Harriet

Lots of interesting theories about why it is done this way.

I think my theory is far more likely. Loyalty points generally are awarded for nights stayed/miles flown etc. By doing it any differently, NCL would be going against the norm. Whilst latitudes points have very little value they do have a small cost if people get to platinum earlier. Why would they decide to do it differently to everyone else when they don't need to?

If people booked a cruise, bought Inurance and then purposely canceled just to get points… I would consider that Insurance fraud.

Harriet

Could be.

I think some of those insurances are cancel for any reason, but fraud could come into play on some, if used for cash advantage.

Thanks for the responses. Lots of good reasons now that I've 'summoned the collective.' :D

I figured there was more reasons than just NCL didn't want to.

Also, their system tracks points by reservation number, so it would be hard to add points without a valid reservation. Otherwise, NCL could loose a lot of control over points if they aren't applied to a valid reservation. People could be giving out points to family members and friends, if NCL doesn't have a good handle on controlling them. It makes a little more sense the more you think about it.

No, I booked a 7 night cruise. I paid for a 7 night cruise. NCL was paid fully by me. I cancelled at the last minute, so they don't have to bother with me or my family at all because I didn't cruise with them.

I understand that they spent money in advance for my scheduled cruise, and I didn't ask for a refund. I understand why they have a cut-off date for refunds. I just don't understand why they couldn't give me the points for the cruise, because I paid for it.

I guess my post was misunderstood. As it stands, it is based on nights at sea. That's it. If no nights were spent at sea, then obviously no points were earned. If someone wants points when they didn't actually spend the nights at sea, then they are asking that the program be changed to be based on money spent for nights at sea, instead of nights spent at sea. Get it? I'm not saying it's right or wrong. It would just require a change in the program, away from pretty much every loyalty program I've ever joined.

Since the loyalty program is reasonably comparable to an airline loyalty program, the reason you have to actually travel, is to prevent people from bargain-shopping flights and simply buying their way into the highest tier, without ever using the airline.

That means the seat can't be sold for a higher rate to somebody else, who might order a chocolate bar, or check their luggage....etc.

The perks on an airline's highest tier can be worth thousands (upgrades, etc.) and they're meant to reward those who actually spend time in the air.

As NCL's reward those who are at sea.

I actually have zero idea what the answer to your question is, I just want to chime in to say that I am sorry that your family member is sick and that you had to cancel your cruise. I hope that somewhere down the line things work out and you all get to enjoy a cruise. I applaud you for your acceptance of the situation being the way it is. If we ever cruise on the same sailing be sure to remind me to buy you and your group a round of drinks.

A few years back we were "no shows" on Carnival (hurricane) and didn't have insurance. We didn't get the days either.

I don't get the logic of this...since they had my $$$.

Exactly. On the surface, it does seem kind of a no brainer to at least get the points. Hey, keep the money, but as a token of gratitude, at least let me have the points that don't amount to much anyway.

I've been on 5 NCL cruises. All booked WELL in advance. The cruise I just cancelled has been booked for almost a year. I have another cruise still booked for next year and when we cruise it will have been booked for almost 2 years. They've had my 1,000 dollar deposits for a year, and will have 500 for another year. They can see that this isn't some shell game or a get points quick scheme.

My MIL was diagnosed last week with terminal cancer and is bed-ridden with 24 hour care necessary. She only has days or maybe a few weeks left to live. We are devastated by her condition, and the lack of a vacation is way down the list of problems we have, but not getting the points did kind of 'stick in my craw.'

I do understand their reasoning a bit more after SOME of the helpful comments on here though.

I actually have zero idea what the answer to your question is, I just want to chime in to say that I am sorry that your family member is sick and that you had to cancel your cruise. I hope that somewhere down the line things work out and you all get to enjoy a cruise. I applaud you for your acceptance of the situation being the way it is. If we ever cruise on the same sailing be sure to remind me to buy you and your group a round of drinks.

Thanks...

I appreciate the kind words.