Change due to Zika virus

LuvtheWater117

I was looking at travel advisories in the Caribbean and came across a warning for chikungunya virus which is spread by mosquitoes.

I've cruised a couple dozen times and HAVE been bitten by mosquitoes but cannot remember the islands where this occurred.

Many on this thread are recommending DEET. I personally would never put a drop of that on my body and would advise against it if pregnant. Please research it. If pregnant, I'd also research what is embedded in the fabric of bug repellent clothing.

I buy bug repellents that have ingredients of naturally derived oils. I might strengthen it a little by adding a little tea tree oil, lemon oil, etc., depending on the ingredient list. You just have to be careful not to get it close to the eyes.

They're recommending DEET as the lesser of two evils. That or the Zika virus.

Does anyone know if you generally safe if you stay on the cruise ship the whole time? We'll be traveling to Belize and Cozumel next month on independence of the sea and I'll be 21 weeks pregnant. Do Mosquitos make their way onto cruise ships when their docked? My hUsband thinks if we stay on the ship we will be ok but I'm not sure I want to risk it.

Of course, no one can promise you a mosquito or three or four won't fly on a docked cruise ship. They are not strong flyers and a strong wind in the right direction would help keep any off but how many pregnant women want to take that horrible risk just for a cruise? :confused: Anyone who has read what can happen to the developing fetus has to take a giant pause, IMO.

It has been advised for pregnant women to not travel to areas where it is known Zika mosquitos are present.

A few days on a cruise ship vs. the possibility of a lifetime of regret.

Edited by sail7seas

Except that the CDC tells us Zika virus can be transmitted between people by a mosquito. So if you don't want to be the source of an infection of a pregnant woman, it really is an issue.

Is this true? If so that is absolutely terrifying.

Does anyone know if you generally safe if you stay on the cruise ship the whole time? We'll be traveling to Belize and Cozumel next month on independence of the sea and I'll be 21 weeks pregnant. Do Mosquitos make their way onto cruise ships when their docked? My hUsband thinks if we stay on the ship we will be ok but I'm not sure I want to risk it.

You need to discuss this with your obstetrician. S/he is the ONLY person whose advice you should be heeding.

You need to discuss this with your obstetrician. S/he is the ONLY person whose advice you should be heeding.

This, unfortunately, isn't true. Some doctors just aren't familiar enough with the situation. If the CDC says pregnant women SHOULD NOT TRAVEL to those islands, why would you want your doctor to say "Just stay on the ship -- don't worry about it"? What if the doctor is wrong?

What cruise/amount of money is more important than knowing you did EVERYTHING possible to ensure a healthy baby? Answering only for me, the answer is NONE.

Some doctors just aren't familiar enough with the situation. If the CDC says pregnant women SHOULD NOT TRAVEL to those islands, why would you want your doctor to say "Just stay on the ship -- don't worry about it"? What if the doctor is wrong?

This is a critical situation. I would hope that every physician would become immediately familiar with this situation and be updated several times per day on it. I would think this is particularly important for an OB/GYN and his/her pregnant patients.

CDC is an appropriate source from which to get quality information of this sort.

Certainly some research there provides good 'talking points' to address with OB/GYN.

I too have been following the spread of Zika virus...

I am pregnant, and have a cruise booked for March. I'm considering cancelling and just staying in Florida and doing other things with my kids ie: Disney World etc...

Is Florida safe? I've been many times and have seen Mosquitos on occasion, but are they bad in March in Orlando?

Thanks!

I live in Tampa FL. There has been a decline in the number of mosquitos around us here from what I can tell, I think because its gotten a bit colder. I have not heard of anyone in Florida getting the Zika virus. Hope that helps!

It doesn't matter what your doctor says. At the present time, I don't know of any travel insurance that would allow you to cancel a cruise and reimburse your costs because of some illness you don't have. See Post #27.

In my experience as a doctor, all that is needed is a letter stating that the passenger has been advised not to sail due to a medical condition. no further details are necessary or required. The last one I wrote went like:

I see Mr. X for condition y. I last saw him for this condition on date. I have instructed him not to travel on dates.

That's all that's needed for a work excuse, insurance payment, jury duty etc. No insurance that I've dealt with has required more details for the simple reason that such details are protected by federal privacy rules.

We have a member here who posted the other day upon my asking that a doctor's letter stating his pregnant patient could/might be at risk of being bitten by a mosquito that possibly might/could infect her with Zika virus will not cut it with an insurance company. She stated they don't insure that someone might become ill but perhaps we may see a change of policy if this virus wrecks the awful illness as has been seen in Brazil, Latin America and now the Caribbean.

She also stated the insurance company can review medical records if a claim is submitted. Is that not so? I certainly am far from an expert but doesn't HIPAA provide for those who 'need to know' and have a valid reason to know can access medical record? Doesn't a claim for insurance qualify? If the claimant were to refuse a waiver, cannot the claim could be denied?

Edited by sail7seas

We have a member here who posted the other day upon my asking that a doctor's letter stating his pregnant patient could/might be at risk of being bitten by a mosquito that possibly might/could infect her with Zika virus will not cut it with an insurance company. She stated they don't insure that someone might become ill but perhaps we may see a change of policy if this virus wrecks the awful illness as has been seen in Brazil, Latin America and now the Caribbean.

She also stated the insurance company can review medical records if a claim is submitted. Is that not so? I certainly am far from an expert but doesn't HIPAA provide for those who 'need to know' and have a valid reason to know can access medical record? Doesn't a claim for insurance qualify? If the claimant were to refuse a waiver, cannot the claim could be denied?

Insurance companies may access records to pay doctors or hospitals. There is no automatic exemption for travel insurance as this insurance is not paying for or coordinating care.

I've never bought travel insurance so I don't know how it works. Certainly if part of the insurance contract stipulates that you have to provide access to your records to file a claim, then you would have to do so. You would at some point have to fill out and sign a waiver for them to access your records. I imagine that would have to be stipulated up front when you buy the insurance.

I can tell you though that my office has never received a request for records from a travel insurance company, and I've never been told that a letter I wrote was insufficient.

From the website:

The Privacy Rule sets rules and limits on who can look at and receive your health information

To make sure that your health information is protected in a way that does not interfere with your health care, your information can be used and shared:

For your treatment and care coordination

To pay doctors and hospitals for your health care and to help run their businesses

With your family, relatives, friends, or others you identify who are involved with your health care or your health care bills, unless you object

To make sure doctors give good care and nursing homes are clean and safe

To protect the public's health, such as by reporting when the flu is in your area

To make required reports to the police, such as reporting gunshot wounds

Great post. Thank you.

Of course, still leaves the question of insurance satisfying a claim up in the air.

Each policy probably has somewhat varying language and as you state it may depend upon whether there is verbage provided when the policy issues about the insured waiving privacy concerns and granting access to medical records.

It will be interesting to follow this and see what we learn as claims are submitted.

The CDC has still not come out and officially said that Zika is causing the birth defects. I'm with all the other pregnant women who are still going but just taking precautions. Deet is safe per the CDC, just like dying your hair, so many people are misinformed. Wear sunblock, then layer of repellent and wear long sleeves. I'm not going into any wooded areas and I've never been bit by a mosquito on a cruise or at an allinclusive resort.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just an update-

I have cancelled my cruise per my doctors suggestion. With so little known about the virus and it spreading further and further, I just didn't feel comfortable going. My doctor said if I chose to go I would have to cover my arms and legs and wear bug spray. In all honesty, I go to the Caribbean to lay in the sun in my bathing suit and wear shorts and tank tops. I also go to have a carefree time. I can wear long pants and long sleeves in the cold Chicago weather anytime. I couldn't justify being worried about getting bit and maybe contracting this virus. My husband and I have gone and are going through too much to have a healthy baby- trip wasn't worth it.

That being said, my TA is working with Royal to determine reimbursement. I have spoken to two people there and both have told me I will be fully reimbursed by them provided I submit a doctors note stating he doesn't want me to travel due to the Zika threat. United airlines has offered me a full credit on our airfare with the change fees waived, but I may try to file a claim for that with my trip insurance. Worst case scenario is I have my airfare fully refunded in credit form.

I think the intense media coverage of this story may be a little overblown, but it is putting pressure on travel companies to work with their customers. I have been very happy with Royals response to my situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife did some research on the CDC website of repellents to use against Mosquitoes that carry the zika virus. The CDC said one of the best was AVON skin-so-soft Bug Guard plus IR 3535 insect repellent. This repellent also has an SPF 30 sunscreen and water resistant (80 minutes) moisturizing lotion. She ordered some for cruise in March on Amazon prime.

We are both in our 60's so we are taking precautions. People forget that the west Nile virus is still active and can result in death.

Safe Cruising everyone.

Edited by gman66
mispelling

Don't know that I have anything new to add. I cruised while pregnant in the Pre-Zika Era. If that had been happening I don't know if we would have gone.

I will add...IF you are going in addition to all the other advice here please wear light coloured clothes as they are less attractive to mosquitos.

That's it. Safe travels to all.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

Just an update-

I have cancelled my cruise per my doctors suggestion. With so little known about the virus and it spreading further and further, I just didn't feel comfortable going. My doctor said if I chose to go I would have to cover my arms and legs and wear bug spray. In all honesty, I go to the Caribbean to lay in the sun in my bathing suit and wear shorts and tank tops. I also go to have a carefree time. I can wear long pants and long sleeves in the cold Chicago weather anytime. I couldn't justify being worried about getting bit and maybe contracting this virus. My husband and I have gone and are going through too much to have a healthy baby- trip wasn't worth it.

That being said, my TA is working with Royal to determine reimbursement. I have spoken to two people there and both have told me I will be fully reimbursed by them provided I submit a doctors note stating he doesn't want me to travel due to the Zika threat. United airlines has offered me a full credit on our airfare with the change fees waived, but I may try to file a claim for that with my trip insurance. Worst case scenario is I have my airfare fully refunded in credit form.

I think the intense media coverage of this story may be a little overblown, but it is putting pressure on travel companies to work with their customers. I have been very happy with Royals response to my situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't see you not getting covered but what about your husband? Is he getting the same treatment?

Personally, I think that Brazil hosting the Olympics in the summer has a lot to do with WHO and the medias attention on this particular outbreak compared to other past outbreaks of Zika.

Wife and I met with our obstetrician this afternoon and she said the cruise would pose no risk to the baby as long as we took common sense precautions. She recommended we wear insect repellent with DEET and avoid heavily vegetated areas. Therefore, we will not be canceling our cruise.

Wife and I met with our obstetrician this afternoon and she said the cruise would pose no risk to the baby as long as we took common sense precautions. She recommended we wear insect repellent with DEET and avoid heavily vegetated areas. Therefore, we will not be canceling our cruise.

Travel safely and come home well and rested. :)