Change due to Zika virus

LuvtheWater117

From what I have seen on TV it is more frequent in the poor areas, open drains, stagnant pools etc. Mosquitos are more active at night. However, I would not take the risk if pregnant.

Our hotel in Puerto Rico had lots of warning signs re. Mosquitos. Spray repellent was also available free on request. We were never bothered by them and ate outside most evenings and sat out on the hotel balcony. Did get just one bite.

I live in Canada and have cancelled my cruise on Oasis of the Seas for first week of March due to the travel advisory of the Zika virus. I recently found out I am pregnant and after reading about many babies being born with microcephaly due to the mother contracting the Zika virus, there is just no doubt in my mind I can't take that risk with my unborn baby. I had to cancel tickets for myself, my two kids and mother and was penalized 50% of the cruise cost. I am so disturbed by this! Royal Caribbean would not budge on their cancellation policy. My credit card insurance denied me because they say the government has only issued a "level 2" warning ( they will never up it to level 3, they will wait for a vaccine to make more $!) even though I told them I had a doctor's note advising me not to go! I contemplated staying on the boat at ports but as some of you have pointed out, bugs can find a way in no matter what! I have also read that they not only prevalent at night/dusk they are just as much out and and about during the day.

Women who are or who may get pregnant.

On the news this morning they said that Brazil has seen nearly 4000 cases since October--1000x more than they typically see. Realize for most of us this is a none issue, you may not even show symptoms, or realize you have it. So to have that many diagnosed is HUGE.

1% of the children born there right now have are affected by it. (this via bbc.com)

They said it probably will spread to southern gulf states but they expect it to be less of an issue due to our improved sanitation in the states.

I AM trying to scare any pregnant woman from cruising the Caribbean or South America at this time; the risks are NOT worth it. If you aren't pregnant, use good birth control!

For the rest of us it is a non-issue.

Edited by KKB

My credit card insurance denied me because they say the government has only issued a "level 2" warning ( they will never up it to level 3, they will wait for a vaccine to make more $!) even though I told them I had a doctor's note advising me not to go! I contemplated staying on the boat at ports but as some of you have pointed out, bugs can find a way in no matter what! I have also read that they not only prevalent at night/dusk they are just as much out and and about during the day.

Does your CC have cancellation insurance penalty clause ??

I would ask for claim form for medical reasons you do not have to explain to them what it is

Say you have a doctors note advising against travel at this time

Fill in the forms & submit them

You can always disputed it after they deny the claim

But do file anyway

My wife and I are booked on a cruise leaving 3/5 with visits to PR and St. Maarten. She will be 22+ weeks pregnant. At this point, with only only two confirmed cases out of a total population of ~3.6 million, the risk of contracting Zika, even for a resident, is very, very slim. For cruise passengers who visit these ports for a few hours during the day while mosquitoes are largely inactive, the odds are slimmer. And for those who exercise precautions like wearing bug spray and long sleeves/pants, the odds are slimmer still.

Obviously things can change drastically between now and March. We will have tough decisions to make if additional infections are reported. However, at this point I would be more worried about getting hit by a car in port than contracting Zika.

Edited by EmperorCorey

She will be getting close to the cut off date that cruise lines will not permit her to sail. Be sure you have proper letter from her doctor verifying how many weeks she will be on the last day of your cruise.

All best wishes....

Although St Maarten has just been added to the list, many women will not experience any symptoms if infected. As u know babies take 9+ months to be born so it's only a matter of time before there are many more cases of babies being born with microcephaly. It is ultimately up to you and your wife if you are willing to risk your child's life! I am certainly not and will gladly lose 3000$ (50% of what I paid) on Monday when I cancel ,my baby's health is priceless.

I too have been following the spread of Zika virus...

I am pregnant, and have a cruise booked for March. I'm considering cancelling and just staying in Florida and doing other things with my kids ie: Disney World etc...

Is Florida safe? I've been many times and have seen Mosquitos on occasion, but are they bad in March in Orlando?

Thanks!

Of the pregnant women reading here, have any of your doctors advised it was safe for you to cruise the Caribbean and refused to write a letter for your insurance in order for you to cancel and file a claim?

Of the pregnant women reading here, have any of your doctors advised it was safe for you to cruise the Caribbean and refused to write a letter for your insurance in order for you to cancel and file a claim?

It doesn't matter what your doctor says. At the present time, I don't know of any travel insurance that would allow you to cancel a cruise and reimburse your costs because of some illness you don't have. See Post #27.

Edited by 6rugrats

It doesn't matter what your doctor says. At the present time, I don't know of any travel insurance that would allow you to cancel a cruise and reimburse your costs because of some illness you don't have. See Post #27.

In writing a letter for a patient to submit to travel insurance for a claim, is (s)he obliged to give reason for his advice she not travel?

In writing a letter for a patient to submit to travel insurance for a claim, is (s)he obliged to give reason for his advice she not travel?

It's not a letter. It's a specific form that must be completed, and the insurance company can ask to see your medical records. Of course, the medical provider must give the specific medical reason for cancellation. And, "patient may get a disease" is not reason enough for your insurance company to reimburse you in full because you want to cancel.

It's like asking if an overweight man can get his doctor to write a letter stating he needs to cancel his cruise because he "may" suffer a heart attack.

Not covered.

Edited by 6rugrats

Thanks. Clear, easy to understand post. :)

Actually, my question was pretty stupid. :o

No, it wasn't. If you haven't filed a claim, how would you know?

Some cruise lines are now allowing some changes. Detailed in article here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2139

Edited by 6rugrats

Thank you, again.... :)

I think it's great cruise line are starting to allow changes. The PR would be awful if it hits the news some pregnant women tried to cancel and were not assisted in any way by the cruise lines.

This is a serious threat and while the chances are small of being infected, the possible outcome is horrific.

Edited by sail7seas

At the very least the cruise line should give you a voucher for the amount of your deposit that would be good for a year. Much like if you canceled a flight on Southwest. If this virus continues to spread like many health officials expect it to, tourism to the Caribbean and South America is going to take a big hit.

At the very least the cruise line should give you a voucher for the amount of your deposit that would be good for a year. Much like if you canceled a flight on Southwest. If this virus continues to spread like many health officials expect it to, tourism to the Caribbean and South America is going to take a big hit.

Only problem with a voucher valid for a year is cruise lines don't let babies under 6 months sail. If Mom is only 2-3 months pregnant at the time she has to cancel the cruise, baby will be too young to sail when the voucher expires. I suppose they could use the voucher for a year (or more) out from booking date.

That link was provided above by 6rugrats, (post #42) It's a good article on the subject and helpful in knowing what the cruise lines are doing for those unwilling to sail.

Edited by sail7seas

But, as mentioned, above a voucher only good for a year or so is not of any use to someone with a young baby. For that matter I would not want to cruise with children under five or so. To be fair I think they should be giving refunds instead of trying to save their profits/sales by giving credits.

I was looking at travel advisories in the Caribbean and came across a warning for chikungunya virus which is spread by mosquitoes.

I've cruised a couple dozen times and HAVE been bitten by mosquitoes but cannot remember the islands where this occurred.

Many on this thread are recommending DEET. I personally would never put a drop of that on my body and would advise against it if pregnant. Please research it. If pregnant, I'd also research what is embedded in the fabric of bug repellent clothing.

I buy bug repellents that have ingredients of naturally derived oils. I might strengthen it a little by adding a little tea tree oil, lemon oil, etc., depending on the ingredient list. You just have to be careful not to get it close to the eyes.