Princess 3 for free....is it really a bargain??

Hi All - just thought I'd share some intel with you...

With regards to Promos - specifically to the current Promo - 3-for-free, be mindful that the cost to Princess is more than built into the fair being advertised. If you are booking through a TA (a good one!!) they will have some more options available than you would have If you are booking directly online yourself, or through Princess directly. ie - my TA has an option to quote the fares without the Promotion (not for full suite passengers however).

For example, if you are in an internal, ocean view or balcony for example, the price of the cruise works out to be $600 less ($300pp) without the promo than with it (in this case a 14day NZ cruise), while still being able to offer similar or same OBC. So this really means you are paying an extra $600 more for a specialy dinner and some excursion credit.

As a disclaimer, I'll say first that Princess is one of my favourite cruise lines. But always be mindful, Princess are always in it for what is best for Princess (and any cruise line for that matter). If you are dealing directly with Princess (or other cruise lines) the advice you receive, or deals you see will be in their best interest, with lots of clever marketing to make it feel like a good deal and freebies.

Just trying to stay ahead of the game...:D

As thery say 'there is no such thing as a free lunch'. I have no doubt that the 'free' offers are not worth hundreds of dollars and in fact in the overall cost of a cruise they really do mean nothing to me. I would however need some real evidence to show me that there is a significant cost difference between a cruise with the 'free' frills and one without them. I would not have thought you could make a booking on the same cruise with or without the offer.:)

Its a promotional push. Nothing in life is free, as said above there are no free lunches. Its a bit like a new car salesman offering free servicing for 3 years ....wow , yippee , but all he does is offer less for your trade in , so it pays for the servicing .:D

I haven't checked this round, but last time I made a booking through this promo, it was an extra benefit over the previous pricing. Price was the same but the benefits were free bonuses.

I would have suspected it's like other times, prices go up and down regularly and the bonuses are additional.

They are not giving much away, i.e. $100 per cabin OBC, two dinners @$25 and a $100 shorex credit per cabin. Costs them almost zilch.

Especially considering the profit on what you spend the OBC on, (probably at most $30-$50 cost and that's if you use it on something that costs $100 rather than treating it as $100 discount on something you wouldn't otherwise buy) and the Shorex profit (which pretty much guarantees you'll book at least one Shorex and few if them wont take more than the $100 for two.

I had a friend tell me the other day that they booked a cruise with Carnival from an unsolicited phone call. They then checked later and found the cruise cheaper direct on the site. They called and were told that the cabins they had were a larger size than what they were looking at on the site.

I don't know if they got a good price or not, and I truly hope they did, but I know I am already talking to the converted here. Most of us would be checking on-line while we were talking on the phone, if we even wanted to hear their offer.

I also had another friend that had talked to me several times about a cruise for Feb/Mar this year. We were going to get together so that I could show her on the computer what was available and recommend something. They are a retired couple, and I thought Princess or Celebrity would really be a good fit. Then I found out her husband had surprised her by booking already. I know what he booked is not what she wanted, but I have smiled and said how fantastic. I think planning the cruise and doing research is part of the fun. But then again I check prices most days, so.... maybe others feel differently :)

I've just had my TA do a quote for me for some mates wanting to join us on the 14 day NZ cruise. I've compared the online price with the promo, and the TA's price without the promo (can't do online), and has come up as follows

IB Cabin - online price - with 3 for free deal = $2899pp. Includes $100obc per cabin + speciality restaurant.

Same IB Cabin - TA price with no 3 for free deal - $2559. Inc $85obc for cabin.

That's a $680 cabin difference in price to get $15obc + speciality dining for 2.

Just to avoid confusion, I wasn't referring to online pricing before v's during v's after a promotion. I was highlighting a promotional online price you can do yourself online v's a promotion excluded price that your TA can obtain during the promotion. There's a big difference here....:eek:

same thing with p&o they are having a sale with half price deposits plus a soft drink package and a mystery tour plus obc from $100 to $200 depending who you book with but an OZ online agent has the same cruise but not sure if you get the soft drink package but they are offering $300 obc and $300 deposit