Zika Virus - Any changes to itineraries?

travellovers2

Has any ship made any changes to their Caribbean itinerary due to the Zika virus travel alert?

We're cruising next week and we have stops in Cozumel and Roatan which are both part of the affected areas. We did not find any information on the Princess website, but are wondering if anyone has heard of any changes or has been on a cruise that has canceled stops in these places?

This is a link to USA Today and the map where the affected areas are so far: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/01/15/cdc-issues-travel-alert-zika-virus-which-linked-birth-defects/78849556/

I was just in a couple of those countries, and did not hear a thing about it. However, I am past the "baby stage" in my life. We did bring bug spray with us, but never felt the need to use it. I did not see (or feel or hear) a mosquito the entire time.

Probably not. We were just in these countries with Princess and heard nothing about it until we got home. I did get bit by a few bugs but we did the mainland excursions, traveling an hour inland... I also killed a mosquito in our cabin while in Roatan. From my understanding, the CDC has issued this warning out of an abundance of caution- and the virus was found in Texas as well. Have fun on your cruise!

Since they didn't make any changes for Dengue or Chikungunya, I seriously doubt they'll do anything for Zika. It's up to the traveller to decide where they feel safe to go - after all, cruises also go to areas that have malaria and yellow fever, among many other diseases.

It's a good idea to avoid being bitten if poss. if only because the bites itch and are irritating! Generally there aren't many mozzies around where the ship is docked (don't leave your balcony door open) but if you are going on excursions inland, use bug spray and consider wearing long pants and long sleeved shirts.

Edited by jollyjones

Has any ship made any changes to their Caribbean itinerary due to the Zika virus travel alert?

We're cruising next week and we have stops in Cozumel and Roatan which are both part of the affected areas. We did not find any information on the Princess website, but are wondering if anyone has heard of any changes or has been on a cruise that has canceled stops in these places?

This is a link to USA Today and the map where the affected areas are so far: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/01/15/cdc-issues-travel-alert-zika-virus-which-linked-birth-defects/78849556/

No.

Unless you are pregnant the virus causes no real harm. Why would they change itineraries for that?

It's a matter of personal responsibility.... a concept becoming quite scarce.

If a woman knows she is trying to get pregnant and books a trip to the Caribbean, she has not used her head. We actually have to take care of ourselves rather than depend upon the corporations and business to do so for us.

No reason, YET, for cruise lines to cancel ports. IMO

Use common sense and personal responsibility.