"How many rolls of confetti should I bring?" And other questions from a newbie.

BrushedNickel

I know confetti is no longer used when a ship leaves the port (maybe just when she is Christened), but I do have a few silly questions: :D

Do you ever see the captain? Does he/she show up at dinner?

Does anyone ever get way over-dressed for dinner, or are there all levels of "formal" attire?

Are you typically seated with other travelers at dinner if you are a small group?

TIA

Yes, you will see the captain wandering around especially on sea days. He will be at the welcome party. Most no longer eat dinner in the MDR.

I wear my tuxedo on formal nights.

If you have anytime dining, you are asked if you would like to share with others. tables sizes are 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10.

Confetti is packed in bags, not rolls.

Facial quality tissue is sold in rolls.........

Semantics. ...where I am from the rolls you would call "streamers" are considered "confetti", but thank you for the correction.

Thanks for your response, Paul. I was curious about diningroom seating.

Are you typically seated with other travelers at dinner if you are a small group?

TIA

On our first cruise, on Celebrity Constellation, we always asked for a table for 2, and never had a problem getting it. A year later, on the Caribbean Princess, we always sat with others except at the buffet, and although I am a very shy person, we met some really interesting folks and had a great time, plus it saved wait times for a table, if you do anytime dining or whatever your cruise line calls it.

Yes, you will see the captain wandering around the ship, and there will probably be opportunities announced where you can ask questions and have your picture taken with him.

I never do the formal nights. I pull on a skirt and clean shirt and eat at another venue or in the buffet. My cruises are always part of a longer land vacation, and there's a limit on how much luggage I'm willing to haul up stairs, on and off of trains, and on buses. You will see a variety of people, some dressed to the nines, others not dressed up at all, and all sorts of folks in between.

You can sit with others if you want to, or you can sit at a private table on the larger ships. It's all according to your own preference. On the small, more boutique, ships everybody sort of rotates between 10 or 11 large tables. But, on a ship with only 140 passengers, you get to know each other quickly and it's a different experience.

I know confetti is no longer used when a ship leaves the port (maybe just when she is Christened), but I do have a few silly questions: :D

Do you ever see the captain? Does he/she show up at dinner?

Does anyone ever get way over-dressed for dinner, or are there all levels of "formal" attire?

TIA

Most captains are visible. However, I've never seen one at dinner. Nonetheless, they do walk around the ship (usually asking the people around them if they recognize the island the ship is currently passing) and they show up at certain events.

A number of people will dress to the nines (some even 9.1 or 9.2). However, there are usually enough of them that none seem out of place.

If you are doing the traditional dining, yes. If you are doing flexible dining (Anytime, Freestyle, Mytime ...) then it is up to you.

Edited by Cuizer2

Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate the input/suggestions. Looking forward to getting dressed up, meeting new people and maybe the captain too. :)

Many times the Captain is not to be seen except the Captains cocktail party. At that time, they all seem to be the same.

Long line of cruisers attending. Captain greets everyone. Most have given up shaking hands. When they do, their hands are sweaty and they all wear the traditional Plastic Smile (photo op to upsell pics).

When they can be seen, they are real people. At the M&G or around the ship. We cruised on the Ruby on one of her beginning cruises and I got to see the Captain often. Chatted many times. He was on board for a few trips to assess how the ship was functioning. Talked to cruisers every day. Observed all things regarding ships personal, how clean everything was, etc.

After a few trips, he returned to corporate to write his reports. Wish I knew where he is now. I would follow him. Very friendly and open to everyone. Always wondered tho, who was in charge of the Bridge?'.:confused:

We have ran into Captain all over the ship and once in a elevator, we were lucky enough to have dinner with captain on a recent cruise, also agree with earlier post some captains are very visible and others are rarely seen. . I do not think you can be over dressed, some lines dress up more than others .