First time on X wow....

bluejays15

Let me start by saying that i have cruised mostly with Princess 11 times but after the week on the Silhouette X has become my personal fav cruise line..

The ship is Gorgeous in fact you would think it was brand new.. Loved the main lobby so eligant and modern the layout is just fantastic never feel lost on this ship...

The entertainment lead by cruise director Ritch Clessen was amazing..Loved the group eh440 from my hometown of Toronto..

Food was by fare the best that i have had on a cruise ship..Don't understand the negative reviews on the food that i read about before the cruise..Everything was hot and the portion size was good..the best french onion soup that i have had just amazing...

If there is one small complaint it would be the understaffing at the ocean view cafe, it took along time to get plates cleared the whole cruise...Princess dose do a better job with the service of the Buffett.. e.g. coffee and juice service.

I know it was my first time on X but i loved every second of it and i will now make them my number 1 when looking for a cruise vacation.

ps The Regal Princess is not even close to the silhouette when it comes to deign of a ship Princess really needs to take notes.

Edited by bluejays15

You should try the Reflection, Eclipse and Equinox, the yare Sister ships Identical.

Yeah reasons people here don't like it, it's because they don't know what they like.

The ship is not understaffed if at ports they will get help like they did at one stop they switch people around add people on etc.

It's all how you make it.. glad to hear a positive thought. Did you get some free treats on Deck five at the coffee place????

Let me start by saying that i have cruised mostly with Princess 11 times but after the week on the Silhouette X has become my personal fav cruise line..

The ship is Gorgeous in fact you would think it was brand new.. Loved the main lobby so eligant and modern the layout is just fantastic never feel lost on this ship...

The entertainment lead by cruise director Ritch Clessen was amazing..Loved the group eh440 from my hometown of Toronto..

Food was by fare the best that i have had on a cruise ship..Don't understand the negative reviews on the food that i read about before the cruise..Everything was hot and the portion size was good..the best french onion soup that i have had just amazing...

If there is one small complaint it would be the understaffing at the ocean view cafe, it took along time to get plates cleared the whole cruise...Princess dose do a better job with the service of the Buffett.. e.g. coffee and juice service.

I know it was my first time on X but i loved every second of it and i will now make them my number 1 when looking for a cruise vacation.

ps The Regal Princess is not even close to the silhouette when it comes to deign of a ship Princess really needs to take notes.

Glad you loved it.

I would agree with you and rate X well ahead of Princess.

Although we will still cruise with either X, Princess or RCI depending on timing itinerary and price.

Couldn't agree more! We love all Celebrity class ships. We love the staff who are always friendly and ready with a cheery hello. We just came off a four night Disney cruise with 1000 children on board. Disney has a great product for families but definitely not us. Looking forward to our Pacific Coastal cruise in September.

How did this positive review slip thru:) Seriously, this really hit home with me. So many of the "Gosh Celebrity is not like it used to be" crowd has been camped on this board for so long it is nice to read a perspective from a first-time X cruiser who has cruised another line almost exclusively. Thanks for re-enforcing my opinion. I was beginning to wonder why I enjoyed my X cruises so much when so many can only complain.

Agree. It is so nice to hear positive comments. Celebrity is great. Perfect, no, but who is?? We sailed on Princess this past summer in Alaska. We were on one of their very small ships and it was very nice. We will be back on Celebrity in April and we can't wait! Counting the days. We look forward to seeing the changes and finding some of our old favorites. So lucky to be cruising:)

Thanks for that breath of fresh air. I've been tempted to try Princess because of some of their itineraries in the South Pacific, but why take a chance that we'll spend a week comparing Princess unfavorably to Celebrity when we're quite happy where we are? I'm glad you found X and enjoyed it so much - we Ontarians need something to look forward to on cold days like this.

Glad you liked the Silhouette. That is our favorite Celebrity ship. I think Reflection is pretty well identical but we have not been on it. Eclipse, Equinox and Solstice are sister ships but not identical. Those three do not have the Lawn Club Grill and the Porch. Instead, they have the hot Glass Show which many love.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Thank you for your positive remarks. I just took my second X cruise last month and I am a convert!!!

While I was not a huge fan of the food in the dining room, I always found something to eat.

I already have my 3rd X cruise booked and I am hoping to be able to make this a long term relationship.:p:):D

Mango Mike - I just got off Equinox one week ago and I am already envious of you getting on! A food tip: if you like fish or duck, Equinox did them particularly well. If you want duck breast medium rare, you will have to sweet-talk your server, but it can be done.

We are elite on both lines and sail Princess often as it goes out of San Francisco but whenever I can catch a west coast sailing on Celebrity ... I am there!! While I still enjoy our Princess cruises, X is definitely my all time favorite.

A couple of things that are better on Princess is the room service (not the menu but the service itself), their website functionality, pricing in the specialty restaurants and the closets in the staterooms are more to my liking. Everything else is just better on Celebrity IMHO. We absolutely love the Infinity but have a second favorite in the S-class ships.

We had been on six Princess cruises in a row, followed by five Celebrity. We were toying with the idea of returning to Princess as we liked the Caribbean itinerary more. I priced both out and Celebrity is much cheaper than Princess as the current deal includes beverage package and gratuities (I know I am paying for those, too, on Celebrity, but the bottom line pricing is much more attractive on Celebrity.) Thanks for confirming our decision to stick with Celebrity! Why fix what ain't broke. :)

Mango Mike - I just got off Equinox one week ago and I am already envious of you getting on! A food tip: if you like fish or duck, Equinox did them particularly well. If you want duck breast medium rare, you will have to sweet-talk your server, but it can be done.

Being a true Bohunk (Bohemian - on my dads side) duck, dumplings and sauerkraut was a tradition. Although when we had duck, it was roasted, farm raised and cleaned and grandma would always save the duck lard for my grandpa and me to pour over our dumplings (might be the reason I'm on cholesterol medicine right now). And of course REAL apple strudel for dessert (hence my weight problem).

Being a true Bohunk (Bohemian - on my dads side) duck, dumplings and sauerkraut was a tradition. Although when we had duck, it was roasted, farm raised and cleaned and grandma would always save the duck lard for my grandpa and me to pour over our dumplings (might be the reason I'm on cholesterol medicine right now). And of course REAL apple strudel for dessert (hence my weight problem).

Wow...that makes two of us...I am a Bohunk from my dad's side as well. Yes...we had dumplings and sauerkraut but never duck. We did have strudel ... just not a fan. Guess it is confirmed, I am just not a true Bohunk.....LOL!

Wow...that makes two of us...I am a Bohunk from my dad's side as well. Yes...we had dumplings and sauerkraut but never duck. We did have strudel ... just not a fan. Guess it is confirmed, I am just not a true Bohunk.....LOL!

We even have a restaurant here (in Omaha) called the Bohemian Cafe that serves all the good stuff - Svickova, Polish Sausage, Duck, Kolackys and very large ceramin mugs of ice cold beer. They even play polka music while your're eating.

We are elite on both lines and sail Princess often as it goes out of San Francisco but whenever I can catch a west coast sailing on Celebrity ... I am there!! While I still enjoy our Princess cruises, X is definitely my all time favorite.

A couple of things that are better on Princess is the room service (not the menu but the service itself), their website functionality, pricing in the specialty restaurants and the closets in the staterooms are more to my liking. Everything else is just better on Celebrity IMHO. We absolutely love the Infinity but have a second favorite in the S-class ships.

You forgot their Pizza.:D

We had been on six Princess cruises in a row, followed by five Celebrity. We were toying with the idea of returning to Princess as we liked the Caribbean itinerary more. I priced both out and Celebrity is much cheaper than Princess as the current deal includes beverage package and gratuities (I know I am paying for those, too, on Celebrity, but the bottom line pricing is much more attractive on Celebrity.) Thanks for confirming our decision to stick with Celebrity! Why fix what ain't broke. :)

Is there much difference with the itineraries between lines?

I ask this as I would prefer to see as many of the places as possible on our first visit to the Caribbean.

We cruise on many lines-not really loyal to any of them. But, Celebrity and Princess are both at the top of our list.

We think that Celebrity's Solstice class ships are by far the nicest cruise ships on the market. I think a big difference is that the were designed as new builds from the ground up. Carnival Corp tends to use a cookie cutter approach across all of their subsidiary cruise lines.

So when it comes down to making a decision and all things are equal, we will always select the Solstice class ship.

We even have a restaurant here (in Omaha) called the Bohemian Cafe that serves all the good stuff - Svickova, Polish Sausage, Duck, Kolackys and very large ceramin mugs of ice cold beer. They even play polka music while your're eating.

I love Omaha, our son and his wife moved there almost 3 years ago. We visit a couple times a year. Omaha has a lot of fun, interesting places to eat.

We cruise on many lines-not really loyal to any of them. But, Celebrity and Princess are both at the top of our list.

We think that Celebrity's Solstice class ships are by far the nicest cruise ships on the market. I think a big difference is that the were designed as new builds from the ground up. Carnival Corp tends to use a cookie cutter approach across all of their subsidiary cruise lines.

So when it comes down to making a decision and all things are equal, we will always select the Solstice class ship.

I agree, one design flaw with Princes ships is getting to the rear dining rooms, always a bit of a mystery.

Glad you liked the Silhouette. That is our favorite Celebrity ship. I think Reflection is pretty well identical but we have not been on it. Eclipse, Equinox and Solstice are sister ships but not identical. Those three do not have the Lawn Club Grill and the Porch. Instead, they have the hot Glass Show which many love.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Actually they all 5 are identical ships, some just have different amenities...