For those that like a quiet, relaxing cruise...

Spaniel Lover

...I enjoy the food in the Haven, and the bar is a place where being on UBP doesn't mean a long wait for your next beverage.;)

I have to strongly disagree with this rumour, we just disembarked Getaway on Sunday and with the exception of pool bar when it was almost the only open bar onboard (never spent time on pool deck but at times it was closest bar even to the buffet), we never had any issues getting drinks with UBP - even in the bars we didn't frequent (ie. didn't tip extra).

I didn't think the Haven looked all that peaceful....truthfully. There were a lot of people up there, and lots of chair hoggers, too.

I can see how the main pool area, at that time, looked extremely loud and busy as they were having some sort of contest or something going on....

The comment from the mother about "what is this place", is super confusing to me....how can someone not know what a buffet dining facility is? Isn't there even a small buffet breakfast and snack area in the Haven???

Our last cruise in April 2015 was our first on NCL. I upgraded us to a haven 2 bed-room. I am hoping to upgrade us again when prices drop for our 10 year anniversary in April this year.

I love your videos Jim! Looking forward to your review~

Try?

Ok

But if they can't be had?

Your screwed, its sounds like all the major cruise lines are the same. If you can afford it try Silversea, Windstar, Seabourn. They seemed to be made for an older cruiser.

Really? On a ship with 4000+ passengers, the exclusive up charge area of the Haven is much quieter? Who'd have thought it?

In other news, the pope is Catholic and bears sh1t in the woods.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I think all 3 points are pretty obvious.

The man was simply showing a comparison between the ship within the ship concept. *** is your problem. Jealous are we?

RIP Glenn Frey - Thanks for the voice 🕯[emoji25]

I didn't think the Haven looked all that peaceful....truthfully. There were a lot of people up there, and lots of chair hoggers, too.

I can see how the main pool area, at that time, looked extremely loud and busy as they were having some sort of contest or something going on....

The comment from the mother about "what is this place", is super confusing to me....how can someone not know what a buffet dining facility is? Isn't there even a small buffet breakfast and snack area in the Haven???

I took the buffet remark as it was below her to be there with the lower class people and not in the Haven.

We've been on about 8 ncl cruises and the last two were on the Getaway. We had stayed in suites for 6 straight cruises including an awesome aft haven suite on Getaway that was huge with two bathrooms.

We were under the impression that we could never go to back to non-suite life. We loved the Getaway so much we booked it again on short notice just 3 months after our last cruise- only this time we decided to eschew the haven suite and opted for a midship mini suite.

Guess what? We've done a full boomerang and have figured out how to cruise for half the price and have just as much a great time.

When we were in the Haven pool area there were unruly children. There were overserved folks at the Haven bar, who oozed the "look at me, I'm a VIP" vibe. Uggghhhh!

Anyway, with the UBP both times on the Getaway I never felt a lack of service anywhere. We didn't miss the butler or the concierge, I mean how hard it is to make a reservation? We were on and off the ship about the same both times. The afternoon snacks have become somewhat of a joke- chocolate strawberrys, cheese plate or a club sandwich??

I found quieter spots on the waterfront restaurant area than within the Haven. I thought Vibe H2O was perfect for avoiding the sub-18 year olds and the views and service were great.

So for us anyway, you can do the suite life and return to the non-suite life - easily!

I think it is easier to just say you are a snob..only stay in suites, and hate buffets..then no one would get all irritated. Honestly the Haven was very pleasant. We like suites, quiet places, good hotels, and hate buffets. Does that make people snobs, but go ahead if you consider it so.

We had a neighbor once that said you are so "lucky" to travel so much. My DH said "when your house is paid for and you don't have a car payment, you have a lot of money left over". It is called discretionary income. I see people driving around in $60,000 trucks with every bell and whistle ..it is all about choices.

No one is making comments about those that like inside cabins, and so it should be for those who don't .

I know wonderful people who stay in the Haven. I don't think anyone made a blanket comment about all Haven people being snobs. I think it was directed to that one poster and others like that, not any Haven guest in general. At least that's my take. :-)

Another thing to factor in is "what size of a crowd are people used to/comfortable with?"

In my case, a ship with over 4,500 people on it is no problem because my High School had over 4,500 students when I attended. It's now over 5,000 students. I took the NYC subway to school everyday and never had a problem with the number of people. Of course, there will be undesirable people in a group of thousands of people but that's life.

I would never confine myself to just the Haven. There is too much on a cruise ship (of any size) to explore and experience. The Haven gives a different experience which (I believe) the OP was trying to show.

Try the Yacht Club on MSC.

I'm actually going to try MSC for the first time on the Seaside. I'm looking at which Yacht Club stateroom to get and so far, MSC's price for the 4 of us is less than my total for 4 on the Escape.

I still have time to study the deck-plans since the Seaside isn't even built yet. :D

Thank you for sharing your video. It gave me a clearer picture of the Haven on the larger NCL ships. My DH and I enjoy cruising and also quiet sometimes. We tried the Epic and it was busy. We had a spa cabin and enjoyed the quiet of the thermal spa area. I prefer to sit on our balcony ;) We have been sticking to the Jewel size ships lately. I will keep an eye out for your future reviews.

Thank you for posting! I'm looking forward to my cabin in the Haven this September. :)

Oh, and I drive a 2006 Saturn with over 100,000 miles.

Suite cruiser here. My 2004 Saturn turns over 100k miles in about 5 minutes. No joke!

When we were first introduced to the Haven it was marketed as a serene retreat. Since then we have discovered that sometimes it is and sometimes it is a family pool area and can be, ahem, anything but serene. But they paid their money same as me and are entitled.

For the fact of unpredictability I can understand why some haven guests might book VIBE, which would guarantee an adult atmosphere. With the price paid for a suite comes priority boarding and booking of vibe. That is not unfair. It is a perk that is extended by NCL.

Some believe it is a class system. It's not. On the Titanic you were segregated based on class. On NCL anyone of any lifestyle or class can cruise in the Haven. They just have to pay tge price or snag an upsell. Could not do that on Titanic.

Thank you for sharing your video of the Haven on the Escape. While I haven't read the whole post here, I appreciate getting an inside view of this part of the ship. Maybe someday, someway, we can experience the "Haven life" ourselves.

I also wanted to ask you, if you cruised to Alaska back in June, 2014. I believe it was you who posted a picture of our NCL cruise ship in Glacier Bay (the Pearl), and if it was in fact you, could you direct me to that picture again?

Thanks!

Thanks for the video :)

Makes me rethink Escape. I really dont like loud busy ships. Its why we dont do Carnival even though its cheaper and closer. Too loud. Mayb e I"ll consider Escape in a couple of years. I bet the kids would like it.

And to be honest, Im doing suites/Haven because last years MA cruise on Jewel was exhausting b/c my kids DONT SLEEP. So 2 rooms is a must. And they are WAY too young for their own room.

and, I have a 4 yo that isnt a great swimmer and the insanity at the kids pool on sea dasy was way too nerve wracking for me. not to mention no place to sit anywhere even remotely near the pool to keep an eye on her. Even my 7 yo...He's a good swimmer, but not enough that I will let him swim in a pool where he cant touch bottom completely unsupervised.

I drive a Prius, but only b/c my $10 car from before the prius bit the dust. 8 gallons of gas twice a month is NICE.

Edited by Starflyr3

If I could afford the Haven I would go there, but not for the pool area. The room and extra perks only, I'd probably still use the main pool deck most of the time. I can't imagine going on a cruise and not being in the 'biz'. Does Haven even have music? I actually don't understand people who want a quiet and relaxing cruise choosing any of the NCL mega ships.

Edited by NCLfamily

Those with the ability to pay.

Haven costs more than I would want to pay for what you get.

MSC Yacht Club is pricy too but not as much and it offers a bit more.

That said, NCL'S mega ships have more chaos than MSC'S pool deck and a few more toys, ropes course, water slides, etc.

I like th OP'S review of the BTB on the Breeze, not sure a review of the Haven on Escape will be as entertaining but here's hoping.

Clearly the Haven is not universally impressive.