Late set seating wait listed on Westerdam?

jhsocal

In November we booked a 7 night Alaska cruise out of Seattle on the Westerdam for July. For the first time in 5 cruises late set seating wait listed.

Our TA thinks this might change before sailing.

Is this likely to happen? If not, what is out best course of action when we board the ship?

Keep having your TA checking to see if you are moving up the list.

If it doesn't change by sailing time, once on the ship go and see the dining room manager. He is usually in the Explorer's Lounge -- Deck 2. Check your daily "On Location" program to make certain of the time and place.

The "On Location" program will be in your cabin when you board. HAL has a policy where they try to have the cabins ready by 11:30 so that you can drop off your carry-ons, etc., and then do whatever you want.

In November we booked a 7 night Alaska cruise out of Seattle on the Westerdam for July. For the first time in 5 cruises late set seating wait listed.

Is this likely to happen? If not, what is out best course of action when we board the ship?

You are right, I think, it's usually early seating that fills up first. Probably people are figuring they will be late getting back on board at the ports.

I have not done this but understand that if you have As You Wish Dining (open seating) you can make reservations for three nights at a time. You will be in the AYWD deck of the MDR, but you will get the time you want and if you like the waiters your first night, you can specify being in their section.

My DH and I have always done AYWD and like it very much. There is nothing like that look of gratitude when you tell the Maitre D, "Seat us wherever makes YOUR life easier"!

Which is your sailing? I'm guessing that it's likely you will have an "Inspirations" group on board with you. Whenever there's a large enough group on a sailing, the later fixed seating is booked exclusively for them. Inspirations cruises are Christian-themed cruises. Every week in July 2016, the Westerdam has an Inspirations group on board, according to their website below.

I am not affiliated with Inspirations, nor am I a passenger on any of these cruises, but I've traveled when another large group was with us on a Holland America cruise, and that's what happened to us. Only early fixed or open seating was available to us on our cruise. So when you mentioned that you were unable to confirm late fixed seating in the dining room, the bells went off in my head, and I did an internet search.

http://www.inspirationcruises.com/alaska

Click on the cruise title, and then click on "ship", and it will indicate the Westerdam. The only exception is the first cruise, the Max Lucado cruise, which involves the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Edited by middle-aged mom