Is a prom dress okay to wear on formal night?

alaskanheart

It might be spam, but the dress is still gorgeous!

I agree. Any female who can look so great in that dress would be cheating all of us to not wear it. :) I don't care if man, woman or whatever one's preference but it's hard to not admire a beautiful body in a gorgeous dress.

I've been on twelve cruises and have seen it all with regard to dressing up and dressing down. In my opinion this dress is beautiful and any woman with confidence should feel free to wear it on a cruise.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Having had over 80 cruises on HAL, you can imagine how many Captain's Tables we've enjoyed. I cannot say I was ever bored. I find the Senior Officers, for the most part, to be wonderful hosts and extremely interesting people. The places they've been, the people they have met, the things they have seen...... Very interesting conversationalists (with some exception ;)).

We also were invited to dine at Captain's Table every time we sailed Celebrity and we also went on Princess.

I made my comment as an observation that many enjoy having a beautiful woman, dressed stunningly joining their party on a formal occasion? :D

Edited by sail7seas

I stand corrected and am pleased things have changed since the few times I sat with the senior officers. Your information is appreciated. I'm curious abut Celebrity as I've never cruised with them and their itineraries seem very special. What is the atmosphere like, how flexible are dining options (I'm a vegetarian) and what entertainment and other options are available?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I'm curious abut Celebrity as I've never cruised with them and their itineraries seem very special. What is the atmosphere like, how flexible are dining options (I'm a vegetarian) and what entertainment and other options are available?

Hi Nisky18; you would be better to ask your questions and do some reading and research on the Celebrity boards instead of placing your comments here in an unrelated thread. :)

Here is the link for you:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28 <--click here

This June I will be going on a 12 night Northern European cruise on the Disney Wonder. It's going to be my 7th cruise but it's the first time that I'm considering wearing anything considerably more formal. I know since it's a Disney cruise that there's more of a relaxed, family vibe than a formal one, which leads me to my question: is a prom dress too formal to wear on formal night? I love this dress and I think that this might be a great opportunity to be able to wear it again but I don't want to be overly formal or even overdressed. Here's a picture of the dress for anybody who might be able to give me some insight :) b3a6eb9ec75a51404d49f7c30ea07ccd.jpg

You shouldn't ask other people what to wear. Some will like it, others won't. [emoji1] certain people would want you to wear a burka. If you want to wear it..... then wear it but wear it with confidence and enjoy it. It is no one else's business what you want to wear.

It's not simply a web address, it's an email address. If you go to the advertised webpage and click on this webpage's photos, you don't get a picture with the email address across the bottom. Color me skeptical.

I'm skeptical as well, but it's not an email address. It says Prom@the mint collection. No .com after it, as in it's part of their Prom collection. The Mint Collection is a high end boutique on Melrose in LA. Many socialites and celebs buy red carpet dresses there (if they are not fortunate or a big enough name to have them loaned to them). And there are many well off families in that area that would buy a dress for their daughter there for her prom. If anyone watches Modern Family, the girl who plays the smart daughter had pics of her in her real life prom dress and it was very mature/sexy for a 17 year old and not too far off from the "feel" of this dress. Girls in and around the LA area ARE wearing this type of dress to proms.

That being said, if the OP was real, someone who would want to wear a dress like that would likely wear it no matter what anyone said, and would unlikely be a first post and reason to join a cruise forum. My vote goes for it was posted by someone affiliated with the company.

I see that the original post has been edited. Was a web address removed from the post perhaps? I'm afraid I do lean towards the opinion that this is probably an advertisement rather than a genuine question though.

Well, the edit was done pretty quickly after the original post. The first reply wasn't until 10 minutes later. With the first comment about it being a possible advertisement some 5 hours later. I don't think they'd be editing to remove a web address. But the website address is still on the original picture.

I too think its an ad but hey.

I completely agree with the weight thing, I used to own a beaded formal dress and would not dream of packing it/carrying it for a holiday. I sold it on ebay for what I paid for it. :D

For those saying its too sexy/something someone would wear in a club may be haven't been to a formal event in a while. A lot of younger women are wearing sheer/beaded/lace dresses or elegant floaty silk/organza style gowns...big and poofy aint great for anywhere these days.

Yeah big and poufy is not in, but I love those! But I'm usually the odd one out. I like Victorian styles, and I'm usually covered from neck to knee (at least), and I'm a size 2, so it's not that I'm not thin, I just don't like to show or suggest to show everything.

A lot of the sheer or "naked" dresses are in right now thanks to the celebs on the red carpet. Many of the dresses offered in diffusion lines to us regular folk have nude lining to make it look like it's see through but it's usually not.