Carnival vs. NCL

Beeslilmama

We gravitate to Carnival over NCL. I will say we've cruised NCL twice, on the Epic and on the Pride of America. I don't dislike NCL. I actually think they ARE nicer ships, and the new ones they've rolled out I'm very intrigued with. We sailed the Epic when she first came out, and loved our balcony room. We took our two teenagers (at the time) and one of their friends, and had two connecting balcony rooms. My DH and I were in one, the three teens in the other. We had a great time no doubt. And of course, Pride of America is an anomaly. We loved our time on the POA last April (I wrote an extensive review under that forum).

Since Galveston is our home port, we prefer Carnival over NCL (out of Houston) and Royal. We've been on the Magic twice, and Triumph twice. I'm looking forward to the Breeze coming there this year. We are booked on the Breeze out of Miami this March. The primary reason is the 8 night Southern Caribbean itinerary. We've been everywhere else but those 4 islands. I really really wanted to book NCL for this spring break cruise. Maybe the Getaway or Escape. But when we take our 7 year old, it just doesn't make sense to pay more for NCL. I think they're worth the (more often than not) higher cost, most of the time..

We'd like to do an Alaskan cruise this summer. I would definitely consider NCL and not Carnival. Not only because of the destination, but because it will be just me and DH. When just the two of us cruise, we prefer better amenities or itineraries. We want to try Celebrity one day and maybe Alaska will be it. When we cruise with our young child, or our now 20 year olds, we generally choose Carnival because why pay more? And, we've not yet been let down by Carnival in any way.

Edited by mel-b

We booked NCL last spring for a cruise we took last October. I felt that the main entertainment was better than most shows I've seen on Carnival, and we really enjoyed the Bistro, another plus was the MDR being open for lunch on embarkation day. I felt that the cabin lacked storage and that the MDR food was not as good as Carnival. I'd definitely book again, but I think that Carnival will still be our first choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btw, don't know when you're going, but Epic has some seriously good prices for Nov/December right now. I just booked it at $200 LESS than I paid in 2013 and I get free drinks with that. Super awesome! Now, who wants to come watch my kids for me?

We just booked for November. I agree, some awesome prices going on right now...just not as awesome as we got when the ship first came out (we had 2 studios, double the space, double the facilities and all for $1600). :)

We just booked for November. I agree, some awesome prices going on right now...just not as awesome as we got when the ship first came out (we had 2 studios, double the space, double the facilities and all for $1600). :)

What sailing did you book?

I have loved all the cruises I have been on, but when pressured to say which cruise line I prefer... it's NCL. They get the edge for entertainment by far and just slightly better in the food department. The NCL Epic has been my favorite ship so far. I didn't have problems with the bathroom design. I think Epic has the best pools on any ship I've been on.

We are excited to try NCL this fall. We are booked on the Escape and looking forward to seeing the differences and also the similarities. We did book under the free beverage program, even with paying the gratuities we thought it was still a pretty good deal. As long as we are on vacation and sailing, I can't imagine having a bad cruise anytime;)

I'm kind of Hijacking this thread. I've tried to ask you a few questions on other threads but I dont think you have seen them, so I kind of feel like a stalker :p

your daughter is about the same age as ours so I've read through your reviews post by post. Like you, I'm a huge planner and want to know exactly what to expect. My first question is, anytime you had transportation was there ever an issue with a carseat or lack of one? we have 2 girls (4 & 5) and obvously will not be carrying around carseats.

Also I'm having a hard time deciding on Cozumel, I love all the different beaches and cant decide which one we should go to. So of all the places you have been there, which one would you choose if you were to go again? I dont snorkel (although my husband might) I love laying on a beach or pool in a chair watching my kids play in the sand and water (half moon Cay was the most ideal place for me) I drink but my husband does not. So, with that which one would you choose?

thank you for all the detailed reviews and pictures, it really has helped my decision making :)

IMO, Carnival's customer services is leaps and bounds better than NCL. Whenever I needed something on NCL they made me feel like I was an inconvenience.

The Getaway was a beautiful ship and we had fun, but we liked the Breeze and the Breeze staff so much better.

I'm eagerly reading this thread, as I'm looking into cruises with extended family for fall/winter. I fell in love with Oasis last month, but I don't think that a Royal Caribbean ship is in the cards for this year. NCL and CCL seem to be better deals. I've been on CCL but only on Freedom-class ships, and I've never been on NCL.

Gem is the other ship itinerary I was looking at. What can you tell me about her?

The gem was probably my most memorable cruise, but not for anything to do with the cruise.

It was an enjoyable cruise. We really enjoyed the entertainment and the dancers and singers were pretty visible around the ship and interacted with the guests. They also had a lot of fun activities, I got chosen for "Dancing with the Gem Stars", and got to dance with one of the show dancers, but didn't win the whole shebang. Also had a great cruise director but I hear he's leaving the gem. We generally don't notice or remember the CD, with the exception of Butch when we were on Liberty, and DanDan on the gem. We ate in the Brazilian place once, weren't really impressed. I thought the meat in the MDR was better. We never waited long for a table for dinner, but we also don't eat at the popular times. Didn't try the spa or rock wall.

We recently returned from our 4th NCL cruise, and loved it! Have been on the Breakaway, Gem, Epic, and (this past NYE) the Getaway. With Carnival cruise #20 coming up in a few weeks, NCL is a nice change, with different entertainment, food, etc. We never thought we would like free-style cruising, but we really enjoy the restaurants on NCL. (I once-upon-a-time swore I would never pay for a meal on a cruise!!) Love O'Sheehans for a quick bite, and the buffets offer more choices. Balconies seem a bit smaller, and the bathroom set-up (which bothers many) doesn't bother us at all. And with the perks NCL is offering now, it is hard to pass up if you find a sailing/price point that matches your calender/wallet! We are seriously looking into booking the NCL Escape, with the CCL Vista also on the horizon for us!

NCL is having some really good booking perks right now and it actually lured me to check out the site. Can some experienced cruisers give me the difference between the two lines? I am 38 if that helps and cruise usually with my 36 y/o sister. We aren't typically party people, but we love exploring ports and having a few drinks. We like comedians and entertainment. So any help would be great! Thanks!

The only real difference is the dining on NCL. It is all Freestyle, with no assigned seating for anyone, and a lot more specialty restaurants. IMO NCL has better entertainment, except on the Carnival Live! cruises.

Other than that it is six of one half a dozen of the other.

[quote name='Trumpster']Well the Escape has plenty of negative reviews, it had reached 50% but then dropped back down to 49%

NCL used to comparable in price with Carnival, but not so much these days. Costs seem more in line with Royal, Princess, Celebrity. CCL's fares have gone up too just haven't noticed it being as dramatic.

All of the freebies will come with some cost, as was already mentioned.

The drinks promo has reports of long waits at bars, sometimes 20 minutes of more to get a drink, other reports are not as bad.

The dining promo has people saying book ahead because the dining facilities are full and in some cases booked solid for the week of the cruise. Others report they were able to get in just fine.

The internet is considered stupid slow on Escape.

We are doing NCL but not one of the mega ships.

Just to many changes and packages and lack of cummunication for us to give them a try now.

Maybe later, although are considering a Pearl cruise.[/QUOTE]

Any idea why the Escape has such bad reviews?