Is the bag limit on NCL enforced?

I am going on a cruise in March on the Gem which is going to be for 10 days. I also have a few days beforehand that I am hanging out in NYC and Connecticut. So, it's two weeks worth of stuff that I am lugging with me. The NCL website says we are allowed 2 bags each for the cruise. Is this really enforced? I have a lot of crap that needs to come with me for me to be comfortable for 10 days on a cruise and I am afraid that when I start packing, I am going to need more than 2 bags each. I don't have to worry about planes because we are driving to Manhattan so I only have to worry about NCL's rules. Will they give me a hard time if I have an extra suitcase for them to take to my room?

Edited by wecanlivelikejackandsally

I am going on a cruise in March on the Gem which is going to be for 10 days. I also have a few days beforehand that I am hanging out in NYC and Connecticut. So, it's two weeks worth of stuff that I am lugging with me. The NCL website says we are allowed 2 bags each for the cruise. Is this really enforced? I have a lot of crap that needs to come with me for me to be comfortable for 10 days on a cruise and I am afraid that when I start packing, I am going to need more than 2 bags each. I don't have to worry about planes because we are driving to Manhattan so I only have to worry about NCL's rules. Will they give me a hard time if I have an extra suitcase for them to take to my room?

Not at all. However, keep in mind that the room stewards have to deliver these bags so don't make them excessively heavy.

And here I am taking a regulation carry on and backpack for 17 days in South America. After years of travel all over the world we now pack lighter. Why don't you try 4 bags between you? You can always wash on the ship. And no, they won't say anything about your bags.

Remember to tip the baggage check people accordingly - these are the dock

hands that you first meet with your luggage before check-in and getting your

documentation (key card). Cabin stewards share the DSC tip pool but give

some thought to your own cabin steward to sweeten the effort of his labor.

2 bags per person reasonable

3 bags think about where you are going to put that stuff in your cabin

4 or more me thinks that you should have a private life boat to store your stuff.

(What did you bring the kitchen sink with you? - LOL )

And don't forget your carry-ons.

Any more baggage contract with a container ship for bulk rates.

Wow, I had no idea that many people took TWO bags each on a cruise.

We tend to take trips that go at least three weeks, up to five weeks in duration and take ONE bag each, with DW taking a carry on. I take a small briefcase which carries travel docs, earphone for air travel, camera, a couple of small books and extra set of glasses.

We always have to send about two bags of laundry, but manage quite well. I cannot imagine why anyone would need two, three or four bags each.

We always have to fly to our cruise location and paying for extra luggage that we don't need is foolish.

Can I ask some of you multiple bag persons what it is that requires so much luggage?

I took three bags on my Breakaway cruise. One large suitcase, one carry on size suitcase and one smaller bag that could sit on top of the carry on. In addition I had a sizable handbag. I wasn't flying so I had the luxury and I exercised my right to overpack. Nobody said anything. Do not worry. I think if you had like 7 steamer trunks it might bring some attention. 3 regular bags you should be just fine.

Can I ask some of you multiple bag persons what it is that requires so much luggage?

I am not sure if I will need more than two bags each but I might. My boyfriend is a light packer but I am not when it comes to cruises. I want to take a lot of my photography equipment to get some interesting shots from my balcony. A lot of that stuff is light but bulky. I am a bit of a makeup hoarder. It's a hobby of mine (I enjoy doing beauty and special effects makeup in my spare time). So, I want to bring along my beauty products that I am used to having. Several people have told me "You are on vacation, forget the makeup." but the physical act of doing my makeup is relaxing to me and helps me express my artisticness. Plus, with the changes of weather between Manhattan and the Caribbean, I want to be prepared to be warm if we have a cold snap in New York and on the sailing days in March. I just like to be super prepared so I need options of jeans, pants, skirts, shorts, long sleeved, short sleeved. I don't think I am going over the two bags but I just want to make sure I am okay in case I do. When we fly or our going on our road trips across the country, I tend to pack much lighter since I would be a lot more "on the go". Since we aren't flying, I have more flexibility to bring what I want.

stewards have to deliver these bags so don't make them excessively heavy.

My bags will be more bulky but not heavy so I will be all set there. :)

Remember to tip the baggage check people accordingly

Most certainly! I always tip them well as is because they have a tough job and it helps ensure that bags are taken care of.

You obviously have no clue how to pack for travel. Plenty of YouTube videos out there to show you how to pack correctly.

Once you learn, you will pack smarter, with less baggage.

I say to each his own. Whatever makes someone happy is what they should do (and bring on vacation).

You obviously have no clue how to pack for travel. Plenty of YouTube videos out there to show you how to pack correctly.

Fewer bags does not equal smarter packing. Who needs to watch a You Tube video to figure out how to pack? Jeez. Some people like to have lots of options and no repetition in their vacation wardrobe. Others will wear dirty underwear and the same pants for 10 days in a row. Everyone is different.

Fewer bags does not equal smarter packing. Who needs to watch a You Tube video to figure out how to pack? Jeez. Some people like to have lots of options and no repetition in their vacation wardrobe. Others will wear dirty underwear and the same pants for 10 days in a row. Everyone is different.

You read my mind exactly! :) I am a person who needs options and I am not fond of re-wearing dirty clothes. I think it's trauma from having to re-wear the same two things for like 5 days when I first moved to New York (My clothes were in the back of the U-Haul that wasn't unpacked yet). ;)

And here I am taking a regulation carry on and backpack for 17 days in South America. After years of travel all over the world we now pack lighter. Why don't you try 4 bags between you? You can always wash on the ship. And no, they won't say anything about your bags.

21 days in Europe that included a 12 night cruise on princess

Family of 6.....6 ....21 inch roll ons....6 back packs

1 25 inch bag we checked....put shampoo etc and extra shoes Just extra stuff to lug around

Overpacking is an illness IMHO. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Dirty underwear? I think not

Underware roll up nicely and can be washed too

I pack light but always have extra underware. Sheesh and it's insulting you think light packers are re using underware.

Two years ago DD and I spent five weeks traveling through 13 countries in Europe, including a 12-night cruise. We each had a backpack and a carry-on suitcase, and that was it. I didn't know if I could do it, but I wasn't going to spend five weeks fighting more luggage than that where I was changing location every three days or so for most of it. So, now I know I can do it. :p But, my new very large suitcase just arrived today for my upcoming solo vacation--it's bigger than the combined luggage we both took for five weeks. Different vacations call for different packing and different people do things differently. It doesn't matter if one person can travel for however long with only their toothbrush and another person needs five bags for the weekend. The person has to deal with the way he or she packs. So, pack away! Take as many bags as you want. I may be entertained watching you schlep them, but I won't judge you for it. LOL.

How much luggage someone takes has nothing to do with their IQ. Your priority may be to have less luggage. That's your priority. Doesn't mean it's anyone else's. And it doesn't equate to being smart, just to being a light packer.

So is thinking that a person can be superior to others by only taking a 6" by 6" carry on bag filled with only a toothbrush, a pair of underwear, and hand sanitizer on a month long vacation.

That's not at all what I pack