Anthem sailing delayed a day

BUgrad

This whole debacle could be avoided if the ship was home ported in Florida during the winter. It is crazy to me that anyone would book a cruise sailing in the North Atlantic for a winter vacation. If you are crazy enough to book then only expect the crazy to happen.

What would that have done for the 9,000 delayed and canceled flights?

Not a happy camper. I am understanding of the day's delay. I do not want to go to Cape Canaveral. Was looking forward to Caymen Islands and Jamaica. Labardee is always nice and can understand cancelling if there are demonstrators. RCCL has eliminated a day and three ports. They are substituting a port most do not want. This is not the cruise I thought I was going on. Frankly, if they gave me 50 per cent off a future cruise I would not use it. The knowledge in the call center is pathetic. Their answer is there will be a letter in your suite. You cannot tell me they have no readily available answers. They do not even know about Devine Decadence's closing. People have "dynamic" reservations there. We were not given the choice to modify our selection to reflect the change.

Makes a girl love Crystal and Seabourn that much more.

I agree that the lack of communication and concrete info on changes to your upcoming cruise is very frustrating and should be handled better by Royal Caribbean, they have no control over the weather.

The way some posters are acting over this it's like Royal should be blamed for what mother nature does.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

So why Florida as a stop ,this is some Western Caribbean cruise Not a happy sailor ,that's for sure.if this is true

Well it's true. This is what can happen when you book a cruise out of NJ in January.

I'll take your place on the cruise, if you want to stay home.;)

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I would imagine that those who booked air thru RCI are being accommodated and that would be the reason for the possible departure of 10pm. Possible also is the port in Florida to pick up any stragglers from RCI air. We had a similar situation where passengers were flown to San Juan after missing the ship when they had transportation thru RCI. RCI IS DOING A POOR JOB OF COMMUNICATING.

I most certainly understand extenuating circumstances. What I cannot deal with is a corporate mindset that nurtures a clueless customer service department. If you are changing my trip be honest with me. There are calls I can make at home to my credit card company to advise of itinerary change and to private tour guides that have been prearranged. Just saying that there will be a letter in my suite does not cut it. RCCL knows where they are going today the original date of departure. Ports must be informed. You just cannot show up and expect to find a berth. Why am I not entitled to know? Just be honest and not act like it is a big secret.

They did not even share the news that those of us with Devine Decadence reservations should rebook because the restaurant no longer exists. There are logarithms that would take limited effort for them to put in place,so everyone could be more pleased.

Yes, I have had similar problems on Seabourn, a Carnival company and it was handled in a much more attentive, consumer friendly manner.

Seriously? Do you have a dog in this fight? It's one storm. The vast majority of cruises out of Baltimore and Cape Liberty are not impacted by winter storms.

You could say the same thing about people cruising out of FL during hurricane season (6 months out of the year). Cruises out of FL are impacted more often by hurricanes than cruises out of the NE are impacted by blizzards. We cruised out of NJ 5 days after Sandy hit and we weren't sure we could get to NJ by Amtrak until two days before. Stuff happens.

We personally don't choose to cruise in January. We cruised last year in Feb only because good friends asked us to join them. After this last cruise on Vision that got us back in mid-Dec, we won't be booking one for Dec again, but more because it was too close to Christmas than possible weather issues.

No I don't have a dog in this "fight" but I do hope to cruise on one of the Quantum class ships, however I would never consider an itinerary departing from a port that far north. I have several friends that have cruised from Va and Baltimore and they always complain that the first 2 days down and back were not the best of times. But to each their own.

If I had to fly to get my cruise out of Florida, I would have been in worse shape. I love leaving out of Bayonne. This is my 4th winter cruise with Royal Carib. I have also done 4 winter cruises with other lines. It's the first time I've had a weather delay. On Holland America, in the summer, I had a cruise come back early because of a hurricane.

Stuff happens. I may not like it but I've decided that once I'm on the boat, I will have a good time and enjoy myself. If I want to have a great time, I will.

Eileen

wgwdblu

Embarkation is still scheduled for 3 P.M. I have no idea where that poster got the idea that it's 10 P.M.

And if you wanted more information about this specific cruise, you should have joined our Roll Call.

I have posted constant updates there. All of the information is there.

Embarkation is still scheduled for 3 P.M. I have no idea where that poster got the idea that it's 10 P.M.

And if you wanted more information about this specific cruise, you should have joined our Roll Call.

I have posted constant updates there. All of the information is there.

Isn't Anthem's schedule departure time 10PM tonight?

Guess you are still on board. Lucky you.:D

I would imagine that those who booked air thru RCI are being accommodated and that would be the reason for the possible departure of 10pm. Possible also is the port in Florida to pick up any stragglers from RCI air. We had a similar situation where passengers were flown to San Juan after missing the ship when they had transportation thru RCI. RCI IS DOING A POOR JOB OF COMMUNICATING.

That would make those passengers in violation of the Passenger Vessel Service Act as they would no longer be on a closed loop cruise thus transporting passengers between two different US port without calling on a distant foreign port . PR is currently exempt from this act.

This whole debacle could be avoided if the ship was home ported in Florida during the winter. It is crazy to me that anyone would book a cruise sailing in the North Atlantic for a winter vacation. If you are crazy enough to book then only expect the crazy to happen.

Many if not most of the people sailing out of the NY area in the winter are probably getting to the port by driving or some other means of transportation that does not involve flying. This is a huge plus for lots of people (yours truly included). And if those same folks had to fly to Florida to get on a ship in the winter, a winter storm could upset their travel plans plans just as easily.

There are plenty of ships homeported in Florida right now (and San Juan); I think it's great that people in the Mid-Atlantic and NE have the choice to take a winter cruise that does not involve getting on an airplane.

Originally Posted by Jazzgirl View Post

Just spoke to RCL. The new itinerary is:

Jan 26 - NJ- Leaving @ 3pm

Jan 27 - Sea

Jan 28 - Sea

Jan 29 - Sea

Jan 30 - St Kitts - 8am - 5pm

Jan 31 - St Maarten - 8am-5pm

Feb 1 - St Thomas - 7am- 6pm

Feb 2 - St Juan - 6am - 1pm

Feb 3 - Labadee - 8am - 4pm

Feb 4 - Sea

Feb 5 - Sea

Feb 6 - NJ

I asked if they are planning to email it to everybody, and rep said "no".

Received an email from agent with the same info. It is unbelievable that we are not going to any of the western intinerary. Been to all of these before, but it is okay. Just remember your bug spray as These places have the mosquito that has been reported as dangerous.

Jan 27 - Sea

Jan 28 - Sea

Jan 29 - Sea

Feb 4 - Sea

Feb 5 - Sea

Feb 6 - NJ

Much better than the other itinerary that was originally posted.

Received an email from agent with the same info. It is unbelievable that we are not going to any of the western intinerary. Been to all of these before, but it is okay. Just remember your bug spray as These places have the mosquito that has been reported as dangerous.

Some of the countries on the Western itinerary also have the Zika virus.

And I don't think it's unbelievable. The Eastern ports can be reached faster from NJ that the more southerly ports in the west.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

MIAMI, Jan 25, CMC – Royal Caribbean says it has been forced to cancel its call to Haiti because of the ongoing protests in the French-speaking Caribbean country.

The company said that “Vision of the Seas” skipped its scheduled stop at Labadee because of concerns related to protests related to the cancelation of the presidential elections in that country.

“Royal Caribbean has not received any guarantees or assurances that there will not be any protests in the future.

“If a protest takes place while a ship is port, there would be a significant impact on our guests’ ability to enjoy Labadee, or we may have to cancel the visit completely,” Royal Caribbean said in a statement.

It said the Vision of the Seas was supposed to call on Royal Caribbean’s fenced-off private port Sunday but instead the cruise line has chosen to avoid Labadee and take passengers to Puerto Rico.

This is the third cancellation by Royal Caribbean after its ships Liberty of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas earlier this month by passed the Caribbean island.

The indefinite postponement of the elections, apparently due to violence and fear of corruption, will result in Royal Caribbean postponing its decision when it will return its ship to Labadee,” the company said.

I just hope that some of the passengers that are upset about the change of itinerary don't take it out on the officers and the crew. Obviously Royal Caribbean handled the communication part of this and deciding on the itinerary changes terribly but that's not the fault of the crew.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure quite a few will still take it out on the crew

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Edited by Bugsy4271

We are also on the Anthem now leaving Tuesday. Yes, we are a little disappointed, but we have concern for the people who are now on the Anthem. They will not have a smooth ride back. Waves are considered to be 40 ft. Many will be missing their flights back home.

I am on the Anthem now the sail back to NJ was great less rough seas

The cruise director Abe was wonderful in keep all of the passagers up to date with the changes due to the weather

As the captain stated our safety was his first concern

All those on the Anthem was give free wifi for three day to inform those at home and change any travel arrangements. If brought a Wifi package you where give a three day credit back

Those doing back to back where're give also other credits

Royal really cares about Their customers and really made bad situation quite good

sailnjmom49

Jan 27 - Sea

Jan 28 - Sea

Jan 29 - Sea

Feb 4 - Sea

Feb 5 - Sea

Feb 6 - NJ

I am following this thread because I know a few people embarking today. They are not happy about the changes (they booked based on itinerary). I know the have been to the islands on the new itinerary multiple times, and this new itinerary also includes Labadee, which they might also have to cancel. They would have much preferred the original itinerary and miss a port instead of this.

For some people (especially the heavy cruisers on this board), a cruise is a cruise, but for some people, the cruise is only part of the vacation, it is visiting different ports that is the other part. That would be someone like me - if you look at my signature below, all my itineraries have been different - although I love cruising, visiting different ports is as important, or more important than the cruise itself. To put it another way, cruising is my preferred mode of travel between cities while on vacation, but it is the visiting of cities which is why I go on vacation.

Interesting, the ship is leaving in less than an hour, but RCI has not yet told them what their compensation for losing a day & changed itinerary is going to be.

I am on the Anthem now the sail back to NJ was great less rough seas

The cruise director Abe was wonderful in keep all of the passagers up to date with the changes due to the weather

As the captain stated our safety was his first concern

All those on the Anthem was give free wifi for three day to inform those at home and change any travel arrangements. If brought a Wifi package you where give a three day credit back

Those doing back to back where're give also other credits

Royal really cares about Their customers and really made bad situation quite good

sailnjmom49

B2B'ers were given NO "other credits". What are you talking about? :confused:

Many if not most of the people sailing out of the NY area in the winter are probably getting to the port by driving or some other means of transportation that does not involve flying. This is a huge plus for lots of people (yours truly included). And if those same folks had to fly to Florida to get on a ship in the winter, a winter storm could upset their travel plans plans just as easily.

There are plenty of ships homeported in Florida right now (and San Juan); I think it's great that people in the Mid-Atlantic and NE have the choice to take a winter cruise that does not involve getting on an airplane.

Very well said! I am very thankful for our NYC/NJ ships!