What to pack

prmrolltide

We'll be on our cruise the first week of July on the Legend. What is it like on the ship? Should I take warm clothes or would capris be ok? I'm from the south and having a really hard time figuring out what to take:) any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated .

Hi prmrolltide. I'm southern too (Atlanta, GA). My Mom and I cruised in Alaska last August. Everyone will tell you to pack layers. That is good advice. What we packed worked out pretty well. It was a tank top or tee for each day, coordinating cotton cardigans to wear a couple of times each, and three or four pants to rotate. For coats we had a lightweight fleece zip jacket and a hooded raincoat, also hats, scarves, and gloves. We threw in a couple of nice blouses to wear to dinner (some went unworn). For fancy night we wore black slacks with embellished black jackets.

The weather is very changeable. Most of the time we were there felt like spring at home. I think most days capris or long pants would do. If you are going to Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay, you'll probably want long pants that day.

Many will look at my list and say we packed way too much. I liked having some variety in my clothing and a choice of coats between the raincoat or fleece. Being able to really bundle up let us stay out on our balcony while cruising Glacier Bay and really drink in the scenery.

Have a great trip. Alaska is magnificent.

Vicki

Thank you Vicki ! I have all the outerwear but was having a hard time with what to wear on the ship. So used to packing for the Caribbean. Lol. So pants of some kind and dressier things for dinner is what I think I will go with. I'm sure I'll have too much. I always over pack :)

Edited by prmrolltide

We'll be on our cruise the first week of July on the Legend. What is it like on the ship? Should I take warm clothes or would capris be ok? I'm from the south and having a really hard time figuring out what to take:) any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated .

While the ship itself has its own climate if it is very cold outside you will feel it a bit in the ship so take some indoor clothing with the cold in mind.

For outside the key is to layer. It could be warm, cool, cold, sunny, cloudy, rainy and each day could be different and even within the same day could be different.

We take hats, gloves and scarves for some excursions and glacier viewings, and walking shoes but sports shoes are fine and water proof jacket with hood and waterproof pants and can layer underneath it as required.

Keith

A poster up-thread mentioned cotton sweaters. My preference is a cashmere or fleece top, much warmer, and much lighter/less bulky to pack. If the word "cashmere" scares you, hit your local thrift stores. I can often find a nice cashmere sweater for $6 to $10 at a thrift shop.

I read a lot of posts about what to wear and ended up going with mostly active wear, a pair of jeans, and a couple of skirts/dresses I could layer for dressy casual and it worked really well for my cruise in August 2015.

Check out the blog post I wrote I what worked best, and there are a bunch of my live trip reports on there as well if you want to look at photos of what the 20 years old wore, versus the 60 somethings.

http://72hourstogo.blogspot.com/2016/01/best-gear-alaska.html

First time cruiser - How is the weather during the night when at sea. Is it super chilly?

We will be sailing to Cozumel by way of Tampa Feb. 4th-8th

In general the Gulf of Mexico is not described as chilly at all. But there will be wind associated with the ship moving (faster is behind schedule).

We went to Alaska the same week last year. You need to be prepared for any type of weather. It was actually hot in a couple of ports, high seventies. We had dry weather and I wore sandals capris and a t-shirt a lot of the time with a light jacket or hoodie at night.

Another clueless southern American chiming in here: are there any particular brands/fabrics that the experienced Alaska cruisers can recommend, especially for jackets and pants?

I know to stay away from plain cotton or denim, but I'd like to get a little educated before I shop for clothes. (My sailing is Memorial Day weekend through the following week.)

Another clueless southern American chiming in here: are there any particular brands/fabrics that the experienced Alaska cruisers can recommend, especially for jackets and pants?

I know to stay away from plain cotton or denim, but I'd like to get a little educated before I shop for clothes. (My sailing is Memorial Day weekend through the following week.)

You will probably find that Denim is too heavy & takes too long to dry out.

Cotton is a good base layer.

I would recommend a "better" fleece. (Some are thinner than others.)

Polartec comes in different weights -- type 300 is the thickest and the windproof versions are going to be warmest in windy conditions. I would also look for a high collar, so that wind will not blow down...

Don't buy anything that you'll never wear again. Without knowing your activities, it's hard to know if you need rainpants. I live in the rainy Pacific NW and don't own them.

I wear the same clothes in Alaska as I wear at home in Seattle ..... jeans, khakis and a waterproof jacket, and I bring a pair of capris hoping for a warm day. Plus cotton tshirts, wool shirt/fleece pullover. The only different items I take are gloves and a hat/scarf for being near glaciers or on a small boat trip. I take a small daypack to store items if the day warms up and I don't need them, or if the day turns ugly I can pull out my jacket if I need it.

Look thru some trip reports in STICKYs above. Their photos will show you what people on warm days, ugly days, excursions, dinner, and formal.

Such as this one: http://mysouvenirmemories.blogspot.com/2014/11/a-day-at-sea-june-1.html

And use the SEARCH THIS FORUM tool with the word 'clothes' or 'clothing' or 'packing' and you'll find many threads that address the WHAT TO PACK QUESTION.

3 Fluffies, I'm a southerner who went to Alaska last August. I'm returning this May. Mom and I took fleece zip up jackets from Lands End that I bought for the trip. Mom also took a hooded, fleece-lined rain coat from http://www.womanwithin.com, a plus size shop. My second coat was a spring weight rain coat, Dennis Basso brand from QVC. I wore cotton blend pants. Mom wore mainly Alfred Dunner slacks. She took thermal undies but didn't wear them. We'll pack them again for May, which may be cooler.

I want to encourage my southern sisters that you can pack for this trip with what you already own, maybe excepting the coat that works best for you and a hat and gloves if you don't own those. If we can dress for early November or late February at home, we can master May in Alaska.

Have fun everyone!

Vicki

My apologies...the not generally chilly comment threw me for a loop.

No problem. Some people go to their handle & read based on their posts (where you may not notice that you are in the wrong region) - so I just answer when I can.

(It isn't helpful to that person to say, "This is the AK thread, try the Mexico one", when you can easily say, "It isn't chilly there.")

On the ship will be just like being n any climate controlled situation. Your real concern is when you are outside. If you are in a wind while the ship is moving it is going to be rather chilly , and near any glaciers down right cold. Ashore temperatures could range from the 50s and rainy to the 80s and sunny.

The thing to do is come prepared by bringing layers.

It's not like packing for the Caribbean IMO you can't travel light and go to AK, unless you do laundry often or wear things multiple times.

Why avoid denim? Most cruisers, well a lot of people on AK cruises wear jeans daily. You can expect it to be colder than it will be in July when the OP asked about, btu the advice is the same. Layers!

Why avoid denim? Most cruisers, well a lot of people on AK cruises wear jeans daily. You can expect it to be colder than it will be in July when the OP asked about, btu the advice is the same. Layers!

Denim takes a loooong time to dry, and is very uncomfortable when wet. (That's one lesson I've learned the hard way.)

So the issue isn't dress code but practicality - I'll certainly have a pair of jeans (probably wear them on the plane) but looking for pants that will look decent in good weather but be sensible in case of not-so-good weather.

I have not yet been to Alaska (but am just starting to plan for a 25 day cruise there in 2017) but as an avid hiker and someone who has been on many adventure trips all over the world in all sorts of weather with my husband or small group operators such as Wilderness Travel, Lindblad and A&K let me add a very strong word of caution about jeans and cotton clothing for a destination such as this known for fickle weather.As others have noted denim is heavy and takes a long time to dry. In a cool, wet environment such as Alaska the last thing you want is wet fabric next to your skin. Even if you decide to go with cotton as an outer layer you will be far more comfortable if your base layer is a synthetic wicking fabric. This is important even if you are not planning on undertaking physically exhausting activities. Let me quote from my pretrip packing letter from WT, the company we are using for a trip in a few weeks to New Zealand , "synthetic fabrics insulate and keep you warm even when they are damp.. Polypropylene, Capilene, fleece and other synthetic fabrics are excellent insulators and dry quickly. Avoid cotton clothing. Cotton is not a good insulator, especially as a first layer next to the skin. Once it gets wet from perspiration it stays wet and keeps you cold.." Even when I wear wool socks I wear synthetic sock liners. You are spending all of this money on a special cruise and whether you are hiking on a glacier and it starts to rain/snow or on a boat watching whales and get splashed you want to be focused on that activity and not how uncomfortable you are. Isn't it worth the small investment in a few pieces of the proper clothing? My two cents FWIIW!