First time balcony booking

Dan1113

Hi there,

We are about to book our first ever balcony on a cruise ship - on the Vista on a Western Caribbean itinerary (Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Cozumel). First time with Carnival, as well.

We are wanting a balcony mostly for the advantage of sunbathing privately if it is very crowded on the pool deck!

I guess that since it is a 'loop' type of itinerary, the side doesn't really matter as it's likely to be sun-facing on one sea day and not on the other. But maybe then one at the back of the ship, if it is the same price, would be the best bet?

My concern though is that when I look at the ship, the balconies don't really seem to stick out, meaning that you'll only get sun in them when the sun is really low (/weak!) in the horizon. Am I correct in thinking this, or do they actually end up getting quite a bit of sun anyway?

Any tips are appreciated!

Hi there,

We are about to book our first ever balcony on a cruise ship - on the Vista on a Western Caribbean itinerary (Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Cozumel). First time with Carnival, as well.

We are wanting a balcony mostly for the advantage of sunbathing privately if it is very crowded on the pool deck!

I guess that since it is a 'loop' type of itinerary, the side doesn't really matter as it's likely to be sun-facing on one sea day and not on the other. But maybe then one at the back of the ship, if it is the same price, would be the best bet?

My concern though is that when I look at the ship, the balconies don't really seem to stick out, meaning that you'll only get sun in them when the sun is really low (/weak!) in the horizon. Am I correct in thinking this, or do they actually end up getting quite a bit of sun anyway?

Any tips are appreciated!

Your assessment is pretty right.

But even an aft balcony won't always get a lot of sun.

My experience is that you really can't stay that long in the Caribbean sun before burning anyway. I would also say that once you try a balcony you will probably never won't to go back to an inside cabin.

Unless you have a aft balcony there really is not enough room to sunbathe. The side balconies only come with two chairs and a table, no lounge. Some of the afts will have one lounge but it does get really hot back there since you don't get the breeze blowing in. I'm not sure about the Vista, hope to be someday.

Unless you have a aft balcony there really is not enough room to sunbathe. The side balconies only come with two chairs and a table, no lounge. Some of the afts will have one lounge but it does get really hot back there since you don't get the breeze blowing in.
Exactly . We get a balcony so we can enjoy the quiet while enjoying a morning coffee or best of all a late afternoon snack and a beer with my loved one. As close to perfect as it gets . :)

You're correct that the sun's rays are quite weak at whatever time you're getting sun on the balcony. That's why I never understood the desire to suntan on a balcony. It just doesn't work, unless you have an uncovered balcony, such as the top deck balconies on most of the ships. Even on those, it is hard to lay out flat, as there's not a ton of room. If the Vista follows how the Dream class ships are, there will be plenty of deck chairs out on the deck 5 lanai. You're sure to find a quiet spot with a deck chair in the sun out there. Those usually don't get overcrowded. If they do, then that means there are plenty of unused deck chairs up top.

I have done a balcony before a few times, but I always return to insides afterwards. A balcony is nice, but I have no problem at all going back to insides.

Edited by k2excursion

The "l-shaped" balconies (certain ships - last cabin on the sides before the aft cabins) will have one lounger. But again, I would not book it for sunning - though at times you may be getting full sun. Remember that the railing is plexiglass and so that blocks some of the sun. A deep aft partially covered is going to be your best option, IMHO.

But if you are really truly wanting to sun, I would plan on going up on deck. As others have said, the higher you go, and farther from the lido deck, the easier it will be to find some loungers.

my last several cruises have all been in extended aft balconies for the reason you talk about....sunbathing. I get up early in the morning, have coffee and continental breakfast out on the balcony, clean up my dishes, get my robe and 2 pillows and eye mask (old fashion satin eye shades with the elastic that goes around the head...ya, not sure if they make this antiquated item anymore :p), and iphone and ear buds. I then lay the lounger down flat, lay my robe down on the lounger, 'fix' my pillows, put on my little eye shades, plug in my ear buds with my current audio book and bask in the sun til noon. I go get lunch and sometimes bring it back to my balcony, sometimes not, depends on my mood. Then back to lounger, audio book, and sun. There is sun on your ext aft balcony til late afternoon. I love it, my reason for cruising...peace, quiet, sun, privacy on my own little sundeck. I don't know others experience, but I can't imagine that my ext aft balcony is the only one on the ship that gets sun all day... Now, with all that said, you cannot do this on a regular balcony, as others have stated, they are all, with a few exceptions covered. But, they are still wonderful for that quiet time for yourself and your loved one. watching that water go by, intimate talks that we don't take advantage of at home - nothing better. Any balcony wonderful, but for sun, have to go with ext aft or one of the top balconies that do not have cover. Happy sails!