pre-cruise concierge question

Starflyr3

I got our pre cruise letter and luggage tags for our spring break cruise yesterday.

I have been searching through both NCL.com and here.

I have a few questions left over, though.

1. Does anyone know how tea works in the Lavazza? Is it pods or do you just use the machine for hot water and get tea bags? Also, I know that green, black, lemon and chamomile are available, does anyone know about chai as a possibility? Or would I have to go to the coffee bar for that?

2. Is it possible to get honey for sweetening tea, or is it just sugar/equal/splenda?

3. I know there is a behind the scenes tour available for $$. Is it worth it to prerequest this or is there another opportunity to see "behind the scenes" without it? (we are silver, so no platinum tour...but my DH was in the Navy and wants to go. It was cancelled last year on Jewel, so he spent a good chunk of time in the bridge observation area, which was right down the hall from our cabin)

4. Has anyone asked the pre cruise concierge to help arrange a "spa day" during the voyage, or would that be better asked when we get onboard?

-Also, (not concierge related) do spa specials (10/20/30, port day discounts, latitudes discounts stack or is it a "choose 1 option" type thing?)

5. I prereserved specialty restaurants, but dont know what days/times various cocktail parties will be (and would like to go to these). Should I include asking for rescheduling reservations that conflict in pre cruise concierge requests or wait until we are on board?

6. Has anyone had success getting orange juice and/or chocolate milk in the mini fridge and if so, was it extra (I like mimosas, and will have the bottle of sparkling wine, so... and the kids like their milk.)

7. Would it be unreasonable to ask for a variety of the single serve box cereals that they have in the buffet to be in our room for our kids to eat when they get up early? Or would that be a day to day request from the butler?

Looking back on this, I think Im sounding really picky and demanding. Yikes. I dont mean to be, I am excited though and want to know what is reasonable/expected and what would be unreasonable.

The pre-concierge can help with things on the list that comes in your letter. The rest I would do once on board. The Butler is the one to arrange the in suite items (juice, mile, cereal, honey) you would like and you can talk with them first day on board. Happy Cruising!

The tea was in pods but you could use the hot water feature & a tea bag. I've never seen chai tea in the room but probably available. I've also never used the pre concierge for anything. In our suite we get 3 bottles of liquor which I ask my PCC to switch out for wine. Once on board I ask the butler when he is able to bring me an iron to use for an hour. I've never asked for anything else but I must say at least 3 times a day the butler comes to the room check & offer any assistance he or she can.

The pre-concierge can help with things on the list that comes in your letter. The rest I would do once on board. The Butler is the one to arrange the in suite items (juice' date=' mile, cereal, honey) you would like and you can talk with them first day on board. Happy Cruising![/size']

Here is the letter. It doesnt include any lists, which is why I was asking :

002_zpsvzlvavml.jpg

The one with the lists that Ive seen previously on here isnt the same. Maybe it's H4 vs an H1/H2?

The one with the lists that Ive seen previously on here isnt the same. Maybe it's H4 vs an H1/H2?

Nope, the list has been sent to all suites before (I've only been in S1 once, all others have been lowest of suites available, ie. H9, SJ, SE, etc).

Also, in the welcome aboard booklet online (which is horribly out of date, so I dont know how accurate it is),

it says

"Arrange your onboard activities, services and amenities

Prior to your cruise, a shoreside concierge desk is available exclusively for guests of The Haven. This desk provides support in arranging dining and entertainment, booking Shore Excursions, making spa and salon appointments, as well as taking special requests such as pillow preference and any other arrangements. You may reach the desk at, or have your travel agent call, 1.855.625.4283, Mondah through Friday from 9am to 9pm EST."

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ncl/welcomeaboard_haven/#/4

I just dont want to request things they cant do or fail to request things that they CAN do, kwim?

Edited by Starflyr3

Also, in the welcome aboard booklet online (which is horribly out of date, so I dont know how accurate it is),

it says

"Arrange your onboard activities, services and amenities

Prior to your cruise, a shoreside concierge desk is available exclusively for guests of The Haven. This desk provides support in arranging dining and entertainment, booking Shore Excursions, making spa and salon appointments, as well as taking special requests such as pillow preference and any other arrangements. You may reach the desk at, or have your travel agent call, 1.855.625.4283, Mondah through Friday from 9am to 9pm EST."

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ncl/welcomeaboard_haven/#/4

I just dont want to request things they cant do or fail to request things that they CAN do, kwim?

The Butler will try to help you in any way that she/he can, including most of the things you are mentioning.

What we did, based upon a great hint here on CruiseCritic, starting with our first Butler (on NCL and other lines) is to have a letter in hand:

"To Our Butler"...

We include a brief (brief!) intro to who we are, and then any special needs or preferences (such as we prefer cheese and crackers and sliced fruits, but not "candy", etc.).

We also state if we want early coffee/tea or full breakfast "just brought right in" in the mornings or wait until we request it, etc.

Keep in mind that the first day is VERY busy, with the turnover, and then meeting all new passengers (unless there are some B2B).

We want to make it *easy* for them to help us.

We've always had the Butler return later, letter in hand, to go over a few things, or ask a few questions based upon what we wrote.

We typically tell our Butler that she/he can ignore any "do not disturb" sign, and just knock and come in. If we don't want company, we'll just bolt the door.

IF you happen to request something they can't do, they'll tell you, politely.

I'm sure that happens frequently, especially with those who haven't used suites much before.

They are professionals, and a pleasure to deal with.

Great suggestion, worth re- posting as a reminder.

We will now do this for,our future cruise. So simple, yet we never thought to do this.

Thanks, happy cruising.

It's worked beautifully. Wish I could say "we thought of it" ;)

Also - if we are going to be out, and want something like a certain snack when we return, we leave a written note, preferably next to the breakfast items that will be cleared.

And then if we see our Butler, we'll mention that we left a note about snacks later, when we are back from excursions or whatever.

I can't imagine how they keep track of requests that people are just "mentioning in passing", but then, they seem to have remarkable memories.

(There's a reason I do NOT have a job like that! :()

Here's the old letter from 2013. I'm sure the ones I received in 2014 and '15 were similar.

precrcon2.jpg

002_zpsvzlvavml.jpg

That is the standard letter that comes with the peel luggage tags and a link to the NCL web page that has a bunch of info. From you saying it is out of date I'm guessing it is the same one we had in December still signed by O'Sheehan and saying the DSC was $12.00.

After contacting the pre-concierge as you did a couple days ago, they should send another letter explaining things like pillow options. Best to make a list and take it with you as the requests getting done doesn't always work so well.

Edited by dexddd

During the week before our cruise, I arranged with the pre-concierge a change in time of two dinner reservations, to have our fridge emptied and stocked with cranberry juice/milk and pillow requests. The fridge was as requested when we boarded, our reservations for dinner were all correct, but the pillows were not (I think the pillow menu is a farce-- don't think the other pillows exist at this point, although the standard Haven pillows were actually very nice)

I asked about signing up for dinner with an officer, and the drink waiver for our 19 yo DD. Those requests were not handled, and it was suggested I take care of them once aboard.

We were on the Gem Jan 2 and the pre concierge contacted us as well.

However none of our requests were honored--which were all reasonable--we had to ask butler after we boarded who took care of them

We are on the March 12th cruise. We are not in the Haven but do have a suite. Last week I received a letter similar to the one you posted and also the list of choices for pillows, tea, coffee, etc. which I replied to. Did your letter come via email? If so, email back with your questions.

Thank you for the suggestion of asking about honey instead of sugar. My husband prefers that but I never thought of asking for it.

We also like the ice bucket to be kept full and the fridge to be emptied. I didn't think of those either. I don't think these would be unreasonable requests.

I had already made my reservations for the specialty restaurants for the same time each night. But once on board if there is a conflict I will just ask for a change of time. I was trying to work around show time which always seems to be 7 and 9.

We don't want 'candy' left for us either. Now chocolates are a maybe! What types of snacks are typical so we know what we could ask for.

Thank you for this post.

Edited by Paddy41
added on

but the pillows were not (I think the pillow menu is a farce-- don't think the other pillows exist at this point, although the standard Haven pillows were actually very .

We got the pillows in the haven back in may. But I kinda pester them until they bring it ;)

Edited by amarvel

I got our pre cruise letter and luggage tags for our spring break cruise yesterday.

I have been searching through both NCL.com and here.

I have a few questions left over, though.

1. Does anyone know how tea works in the Lavazza? Is it pods or do you just use the machine for hot water and get tea bags? Also, I know that green, black, lemon and chamomile are available, does anyone know about chai as a possibility? Or would I have to go to the coffee bar for that?

2. Is it possible to get honey for sweetening tea, or is it just sugar/equal/splenda?

3. I know there is a behind the scenes tour available for $$. Is it worth it to prerequest this or is there another opportunity to see "behind the scenes" without it? (we are silver, so no platinum tour...but my DH was in the Navy and wants to go. It was cancelled last year on Jewel, so he spent a good chunk of time in the bridge observation area, which was right down the hall from our cabin)

4. Has anyone asked the pre cruise concierge to help arrange a "spa day" during the voyage, or would that be better asked when we get onboard?

-Also, (not concierge related) do spa specials (10/20/30, port day discounts, latitudes discounts stack or is it a "choose 1 option" type thing?)

5. I prereserved specialty restaurants, but dont know what days/times various cocktail parties will be (and would like to go to these). Should I include asking for rescheduling reservations that conflict in pre cruise concierge requests or wait until we are on board?

6. Has anyone had success getting orange juice and/or chocolate milk in the mini fridge and if so, was it extra (I like mimosas, and will have the bottle of sparkling wine, so... and the kids like their milk.)

7. Would it be unreasonable to ask for a variety of the single serve box cereals that they have in the buffet to be in our room for our kids to eat when they get up early? Or would that be a day to day request from the butler?

Looking back on this, I think Im sounding really picky and demanding. Yikes. I dont mean to be, I am excited though and want to know what is reasonable/expected and what would be unreasonable.

Many have answered, but I thought I would add in my personal experience to see if it helps you a little.

1&2) As reported, the tea is in the pods too. We always bring a little bottle of the Torani Chai Tea spice (and Vanilla syrup) with us to make our own Chai tea lattes with the black tea pods and steamed milk. Not quite Starbucks, but definitely a treat without paying for the coffee bar Chai. I always ask the pre-concierge for the "extras" for the tea for my DD and me. The honey, milk and sweetener have been waiting for us when we arrived.

3) My Dad requested a behind the scenes tour with the pre-concierge and was told that they could request it, but couldn't confirm. Once on board, the concierge confirmed for him that he was on the tour. He still talks about the tour!

4) The pre-concierge has taken care of booking a spa appointment for us, but we like to wait to see what the specials are on port days. We have never had a problem having the on-board concierge book us in when we wanted. Sea days book up quickly so I would definitely get the booking ahead of time.

5) With the UDP, I am concerned with the availability to reschedule around events. I am in the same boat as you (no pun intended! :D) I have booked all of my dining and am going to hope for the best when trying to schedule around the Platinum, Captain's and Haven cocktail parties.

6) I would ask the pre-concierge to have the oj and milk. You are not being picky at all. You should see my list of requests!! We have the full bar for the OS so I have oj, pineapple juice, cranberry juice, Bloody Mary mix, and pina colada mixer. They will either be in pitchers covered with cling film, or in boxes. Makes it so nice for those mimosas and early morning milk needs by the kids.

7) I would ask for an assortment of cereal with the pre-concierge. They will either confirm it for you or request it. You may have to follow up once on board, but that would be a quick request.

I always call and talk the pre-concierge and then follow up with an email to them. I then have in writing their confirmation of my requests.

Good luck and have a fantastic time on your cruise! :)

I asked the pre-concierge about the Murder Mystery lunch and they confirmed that there would be one for my sailing. So then I asked if they can reserve a spot for us or put our name on a list, whatever and they replied back that they could put our name down for it.

I also asked about the honey and emptying the mini-fridge so that will be done. Thanks to whoever mentioned it.

Our experience with the pre-concierge was outstanding! Every request was fulfilled including a pitcher of lemonade in the fridge, a cooler filled with ice in the suite, special pillows, etc. Very satisfied with pre-concierge!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Is there a difference between the coffee that is brought in by the butler and the coffee from the machine that is in the room ?

I've always ordered coffee for the morning in regular rooms but if I have a nice coffee machine ... I'd probably just make my own.

I finally emailed the pre cruise concierge. It appears that they can sort of preschedule some things and I guess there's a preferences section somewhere in the passenger reservation, which is fantastic.

Has anyone had Omar as their concierge?

Here is what I sent:

Reservation #: XXXXXXXX

Hello!

I recieved the pre cruise letter for our March Jade cruise, it was a little vague, so I thought I would go ahead and email. I am not entirely clear on which things I should ask pre cruise vs after boarding. If any of these requests are better made on board, please let me know!

1. No feather pillows, please. Climarelle and ultrafoam would be fantastic. (firm for the children (2))

2. We would appreciate assistance in getting on the list for the Chef's Table (I know it cannot be official until onboard) (for 2)

3. I know there is usually 1 "behind the scenes" tour per sailing, again, we would appreciate being put on the list.

4. Several requests for the room:

- We would appreciate it if the mini fridge were emptied of the for-charge items

- We would like some orange juice and chocolate milk in the fridge (for children)

- No coffee pods, please only tea, any flavor is fine

- is it possible to get honey instead of sugar for the tea?

5. I was hoping to arrange a "spa day" for the day we are in Belize (3/15), including facial, massage, mani/pedi and hair services. Is this something that is better to arrange onboard?

6. Is it possible to find out who the concierge and/or butler for our suite will be for our sailing?

7. Lastly, I do not seem to be able to reserve dining for 3/14 and 3/15. Does this have to do with the port schedule?

Thank you!

Starflyr3 (and family)

Here is what I got back today:

Good Afternoon Starflyr3,

I have updated your reservation with your preferences. I have also added your requests for the Chef’s Table, Behind the Scenes tour and your spa day for 3/15 , these will all be confirmed onboard.

Your concierge will be Omar. I am showing we do have dining reservations available on 3/14 and 3/15. I would be more than happy to make them for you, please let me know the reservations you would like to make.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with.

Kind Regards,

Krystal Bolden