Just boarded the Reflection!

jenniebnyc

With the change to Evening Chic, we have been advised there will no longer be a Captain's Table. Where the table used to be is now two 4 tops. The waiter said the Captain may host a small group in one of the Specialty restaurants. Another cutback. Funny to hear a Greek captain trying to market the new "Sheeeeeek" night. Looks like Captain Peppas could be leaving after this cruise as we saw him walking around with Captain Skylionous (sp), who was in regular clothes. Was on last week also and no complaints.

I am also just off the Reflection and as the other poster said we had a wonderful cruise too despite the weather. We had the ultimate dining pkg and had wonderful meals except embarkment day lunch at the Porch. Service was horrible (2 hour lunch), but what was worse by the time we received our entrée my friend's burger was raw in the middle so she had to wait for another.

We did the Chef Market Discovery excursion in Jamaica and were joined by the Reflection's executive chef and also Celebrity's Traveling Chef, so we had a great time talking to them. New menus are coming soon and the Bistro on Five, on Reflection, will soon be a sushi/ramen noodle restaurant and the gelato stand will be changed to a NY deli.

Thanks for your very candid cruise review and all your photos., especially the photos of your CS suite.

Are they going to totally eliminate the Gelato stand from the ship and why ?

Edited by cruise47

I know it may seem an odd method with the poached eggs but it appears that many restaurants prepare their poached eggs in this manner. I have a book by a Michelin starred chef, Marcus Wareing, and in it he teaches this method of pre cooking and then reheating as something he was taught at the Savoy hotel.:)

Very standard practice in many upscale venues for many years. I worked for Royal Viking Line which was a very elegant, top of the line cruiseline from about 1971 to the early 90s doing world cruises etc. Remember how surprised passengers always were to learn on galley tours that the eggs were cooked well ahead and reheated.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Thanks for posting more pictures! You help us others get excited about future cruises!

Sorry your not getting the service you requested. If by example you get iceberg instead of mixed greens I'd suggest you ask the head waiter or supv to come over to your table and softly but firmly explain your request. Sometimes a polite nudge is all they need.

Regarding afternoon snacks.....ask your butler for different options. Many other posters have shared their success in getting what they want delivered (shrimp cocktail, nachos and gaucomole, etc.).

If one asks for a generic "salad", not on the menu in Luminae, the waiters will usually get one from the MDR, hence the iceberg lettuce. We have ordered salads in Luminae before, but we always specified mixed greens, tomatoes, and other veggies and have always been accommodated. I agree that if you ask, and are specific in your request, the staff in Luminae will do everything they can to ensure that you have a great dining experience.

Agree about appreciating candid reviews. For those who can't tolerate anything but upbeat and rah rah, just don't read.

We will be on the Reflection soon and I appreciate candor- doesn't make me any less excited about our trip. I already know from past experience the food on Celebrity isn't going to be great- but I love hearing details and specifics.

It's great to get "live" reviews and photos. Thank you for taking the time to post!

Agree about appreciating candid reviews. For those who can't tolerate anything but upbeat and rah rah, just don't read.

We will be on the Reflection soon and I appreciate candor- doesn't make me any less excited about our trip. I already know from past experience the food on Celebrity isn't going to be great- but I love hearing details and specifics.

It's great to get "live" reviews and photos. Thank you for taking the time to post!

I agree! Keep it coming!

Very standard practice in many upscale venues for many years. I worked for Royal Viking Line which was a very elegant, top of the line cruiseline from about 1971 to the early 90s doing world cruises etc. Remember how surprised passengers always were to learn on galley tours that the eggs were cooked well ahead and reheated.

Hi, My mother and I travelled on both the royal viking sun and sea and remember the trips very fondly.

I guess I'm not that sensitive and easily affected.

Like many, I have a few things in life that might set me off so I avoid those areas/topics.

I love cruisecritic and the ability to gather so much info and opinions. But criticism of other's critiques has always bothered me. It's easier to just post a "member review" and not generate any comments so I appreciate very much the OP's generosity in sharing and opening herself up to the inevitable criticism.

ddcf2574a42e3ba35a36c5c1d85f591e.jpg

Having a GREAT day in St Maarten at le gallion beach.

I am sure this will somehow be taken as a negative too. Go ahead. Flame away!

I am having a lovely cruise. I have said many things are good and fine. If it's coming off 100% negative that is not my goal.

Twinkling lights are not ruining my cruise. I am just pointing out they are to me, ugly and thought you might want to see them too. This is a tough crowd. Give me a break already! Jesus.

I am having a lovely cruise. I have said many things are good and fine. If it's coming off 100% negative that is not my goal.

Twinkling lights are not ruining my cruise. I am just pointing out they are to me, ugly and thought you might want to see them too. This is a tough crowd. Give me a break already! Jesus.

I didn't mean to offend. I've just found it difficult to tell if you're having a good time. I'm glad you are!

As someone new to Celebrity I'm eager to learn about it - all sides.

Thanks! :)

I'm enjoying your review and appreciate the honest evaluation of what you're getting vs. what you were promised.

One question - is the beach really that empty or did you just go in front of all the people to photograph the water?

(We'll be in St Maarten in a few weeks with 5 ships (including the Allure :eek: ) in port with us and I was afraid that le Gallion would be too crowded to even bother to go to.)

pssst...I think they're ugly, too. Reminds me of some DIY decorating gone bad. :eek:

The beach looks lovely!