Eating only dessert in a la carte specialty restaurant?

I can't see that this would be something which "many people" would want to do.

Certainly, some people may do so, but I would imagine that most people have other things that they would want to do of an evening than roam between restaurants to get individual courses at each.

I may be wrong of course, but I don't think it's something that enough people would be doing to really cause a problem.

Also, is it actually possible to make the reservations? I don't think you could do it online beforehand. Once you have booked Le Bistro at 6 then I'm not sure that 6.30 at Cagneys would even show up to book.

I think you would need to phone in or do it onboard, but would the system allow it even then? Even if possible, that step would be another obstacle to people actually doing it in practice.

But is this something that can be done?

Absolutely. 100%. They made the change to capture more business from people who did not want the full experience and cover charge. Why would you think what you want to do could not be done?

Do people here go to land-based restaurants comparable to Cagney's, Le Bistro, La Cucina, and only order dessert or an appetizer? If the restaurant is OK with it, it's OK. Many land-based restaurants are not OK with it, and you already explained why ("It will take up a table for someone who might order a complete meal").

Sure. here in the US the concept of happy hour is alive and well. many restaurant offer "small plates" in the $3-7 range off a limited menu. Some restaurant people really like desserts and will go just for those. Unless a restaurant has a price fixed menu I've never encountered one that would not serve you only 1 course if that is what you want and are willing to pay for. I'd imagine restuarants that chase off paying customers would get a bad rep quickly.

Sure. here in the US the concept of happy hour is alive and well. many restaurant offer "small plates" in the $3-7 range off a limited menu. Some restaurant people really like desserts and will go just for those. Unless a restaurant has a price fixed menu I've never encountered one that would not serve you only 1 course if that is what you want and are willing to pay for. I'd imagine restuarants that chase off paying customers would get a bad rep quickly.
I know some restaurants like Applebees or Chilis have a happy hour with "small plates" or appetizers at a discounted prices, but I've never seen that at an upscale restaurant (or even The Outback, which I wouldn't consider upscale by any means), where the patrons would take up tables in the dining area..maybe at the bar. Must depend on what part of the country one lives in.

I know some restaurants like Applebees or Chilis have a happy hour with "small plates" or appetizers at a discounted prices, but I've never seen that at an upscale restaurant (or even The Outback, which I wouldn't consider upscale by any means), where the patrons would take up tables in the dining area..maybe at the bar. Must depend on what part of the country one lives in.

Between West Palm Beach and Boca Rston, Florida. This is VERY common down here at upscale restaurants.

I don't know about those chains. I find their food inferior and don't go to them. I have a huge variety of locally owned restaurants with better quality

Many people go to nice places after Broadway shows in New York for coffee and dessert or for a snack and to visit. I doubt they make reservations to do so. In my family we always had a nice dinner and then about an hour or two later we would have coffee and dessert. I always hate having a nice dessert right after a large meal when I'm feeling a little stuffed. I guess it's for that reason my sister always would take her dessert back to the state room after dinner. But usually she just put it in the refrigerator and forget about it.

On past cruises sometimes I would pop into the main dining room and get a nice dessert sit down and have a cup of coffee. It was after the crowd. With the UDP I would consider asking if there was an empty table without reservations when we could come in for a nice dessert and some coffee it would probably be after the rush.

Being in a suite we might just call the butler for a late dessert. Fun options.