Eating only dessert in a la carte specialty restaurant?

Now that many of the restaurants have gone a la carte has anyone yet had only dessert (or why not just apps) at a specialty restaurant. I just love Le Bistro's flourless chocolate cake (and used to love the chocolate fondue too but I have heard it would be now milk chocolate and not dark chocolate). I am not so interested in Le Bistro that I would go and eat there more than once for the whole meal. But I could very well go there 3-4 times on a 10 day Cruise and just eat the nice desserts. :D

Previously this would not have made any sense as they had the flat rate. However now that everything is priced individually (with the chocolate cake being around $5) I could really see myself doing that. But is this something that can be done?

Sure why not.

It will take up a table for someone who might order a complete meal, but oh well, a la carte is a la carte.

No way they could stop you.

No idea what you order till you sit down.

If they want to run it like a land based establishment then it will be like a land based restaurant.

Apps and a drink.

Dessert and a drink.

If you are willing to pay a la carte prices there is no reason you can't go in and order just what you want. :D :cool: There is no minimum charge, yet!!!

Mike

:) Yet is the operative word.

If too many people order only apps or dessert, it is possible they will set a 'minimum'. That would control people doing that IF, IF they don't want them coming in for only apps or dessert. They may think it is just fine and have no problem with it.

If they want to run it like a land based establishment then it will be like a land based restaurant.

Do people here go to land-based restaurants comparable to Cagney's, Le Bistro, La Cucina, and only order dessert or an appetizer? If the restaurant is OK with it, it's OK. Many land-based restaurants are not OK with it, and you already explained why ("It will take up a table for someone who might order a complete meal").

I think the decent thing to do is to tell them what your plans are before you are seated. Especially if the place looks busy, with other people waiting for a walk-in table, etc. I doubt they will turn you away (again, like many land-based restaurants would), but it may help them serve you (and the other customers) better.

What land based restaurants will turn you away?

Lots of people only order apps as a meal, drinks and do not order entrées at many land based high end restaurants. Unless its really a fixed menu or multiple course type meal, then they will serve what you order.

Given the cost I know people who order only a steak at ruth chris.

Coffee and desserts at any a la carte is acceptable, even if its free elsewhere.

Do people here go to land-based restaurants comparable to Cagney's, Le Bistro, La Cucina, and only order dessert or an appetizer? If the restaurant is OK with it, it's OK. Many land-based restaurants are not OK with it, and you already explained why ("It will take up a table for someone who might order a complete meal").

I think the decent thing to do is to tell them what your plans are before you are seated. Especially if the place looks busy, with other people waiting for a walk-in table, etc. I doubt they will turn you away (again, like many land-based restaurants would), but it may help them serve you (and the other customers) better.

Trulucks, a nice restaurant in Dallas, is known for their carrot cake. People do go there for dessert and coffee (or a drink). My wife and I have stopped at few nice restaurants for a late snack. We have never done it at prime seating (7-9pm), because that is when we eat dinner.

My BIL was GM at Houstons Restaurant, he actually bragged about how many people would stop only for their spinach and artichoke dip appetizer. It's a compliment to the restaurant, that they have an item you enjoy so much you'll go there just for it.

It's not uncommon for people to do this. I would even suggest it is more common at your higher-end restaurants....because they are more likely to have something worth the visit.

Conversely, if it is prime dining time, waiters won't likely want you taking their table for an inexpensive item. But, who would wait an hour to be seated for only dessert? Realistically, it will take a similar time for anyone to eat dessert, whether it is at the end of their meal or if they only stopped for that item.

What really bugs the restaurants is people that show up at 6:30 and use the table for hours while they just chat. Also, people that don't like the last bite of one item and want the entire table's meal comped....they don't like that either. I bet more restaurant mangers would like you to make stopping those your mission, much more so than the folks eating dessert.

Edited by Kingofwylietx

I would think those going for dinner would make a reservation. Or take their chances.

I would expect those just going for dessert or coffee to not make a reservation but also to take their chances. I expect also if it's late in the evening it would especially be no problem as there should be tables available.

Don't you need a reservation to go to these resturants? When I was on board they were not that easy to get for the nights I wanted them. Can you just walk in any time and get a dessert, now.

With my Escape supper club 3x cancellation, my advance reservation plan went awry. I kept hearing that restaurants were sold out and guest services dining desk was not helpful. We would show up at 6pm and got seated at both La Cucina and Bayamo without issue. Also, Margaritaville, Food Republic and Pinchos were empty every time we went. Keep in mind I was not on a sold out sailing.

Might be worth making reservations if you have your heart set on a specific restaurant on a specific night. even if its for only a partial meal or small plate.

It seems unlikely that a sudden impulse to have coffee and dessert would need a reservation. But if you are sure you want... ABC dessert at X restaurant...then perhaps you should make reservations.

On the other hand it seems the Escape's menu's do not have all of the old favorites that used to grace NCL's menus.

Le Bistro still has many but where is Cagny's Oreo cheescake? Is it gone from all the ships?

Le Bistro would be the choice for coffee and dessert and I would make a reservation if I really wanted it.

When the announcement was made about a la carte pricing didn't Andy Stuart say that they thought it would really appeal to people who wanted to have just an appetizer or two and dessert.

I recall that too. Are you allowed more than one app or dessert just not more than one entreé?

I recall that too. Are you allowed more than one app or dessert just not more than one entreé?

If the restaurants a la carte, you could concievably, like a restaurant on land, stay as long as you want and order whatever, how much, and whenever you want. Milking a drink and dessert as long as they will tolerate it, likely quite a while.

I could be seated at 6, order an app and drink, finish order another app, finish, order dessert, finish, order another dessert. Coffee.

This is a land based restaurant now. So them trying to rush me to turn the table over will be really based on my time.

With a set course meal and price, its pretty obvious when the meal is over.

I went to food Republic for 2 apps, no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Food Republic is set up rather differently. There are no reservations required and the menu isn't really split into apps and entrees as such.

For me it is basically set up for people turning up and having whatever they want, be it just a small snack for $5 or two or three dishes to make up a full meal.

When I was onboard, I went three times, for snacks and a full meal.

Cagneys etc are based around people having a full meal. That's not to say that just having one a dessert isn't possible, just that experience in Food Republic isn't particularly relevant.

It is going to be hard for NCL to control this. Many people, and I am one of them, will make several reservations at the specialty restaurants for a given night. I think what NCL did is fabulous. I will make a 6pm reservation at Le Bistro. I plan on ordering only one appetizer. Then at 6:30 with another reservation at Cagney's for a steak. Maybe later on say 7:30 for a dessert at Ocean Blue. The problem for NCL with this is that they will have to hold the tables open for an hour from the time of the scheduled reservation. That will take a table away from someone that would like to have a full meal. So instead of holding a table open for me for an hour at one restaurant they will have to have three tables open for an hour each.

It is going to be hard for NCL to control this. Many people, and I am one of them, will make several reservations at the specialty restaurants for a given night. I think what NCL did is fabulous. I will make a 6pm reservation at Le Bistro. I plan on ordering only one appetizer. Then at 6:30 with another reservation at Cagney's for a steak. Maybe later on say 7:30 for a dessert at Ocean Blue. The problem for NCL with this is that they will have to hold the tables open for an hour from the time of the scheduled reservation. That will take a table away from someone that would like to have a full meal. So instead of holding a table open for me for an hour at one restaurant they will have to have three tables open for an hour each.

I'm sure if NCL finds that there are issues, they will figure out how to adapt the reservations system/policies; like only being able to make a reservation at one restaurant per night and if someone wants to go to more than one, it would be on a walk in basis. Kind of like when Crystal went almost all-inclusive. The specialty restaurants were included at no cost. Well, some cruisers only ate at those restaurants every night, so what Crystal did was, in order that all passengers could enjoy the specialty restaurants, put in place a $30 reservation fee for those that wanted to eat at these restaurants more than once or twice during their cruise. There is always a solution to every issue, if they become problematic.

Edited by NLH Arizona