DOS vs 2 br family dawn

Starflyr3

Is the DOS on the Dawn normally cheaper than then 2 br family suite?

I just put in our reservation for spring break 2017 and it was about $1500 cheaper for the 4 of us. Less than our Jade this year. Is it just the lack of balcony? Because balcony isnt all that important to us.

Anyway, Im excited! still has 2 bedrooms (12502), but more space and included minibar/soda stuff.

And NOLA is still within driving distance, so no needing plane tickets. Darn you, port of Houston for kicking out NCL! (or darn you NCL for leaving Houston, not sure which, Ive heard both)

Edited by Starflyr3

I just put in our reservation for spring break 2017 and it was about $1500 cheaper for the 4 of us. Less than our Jade this year. Is it just the lack of balcony? Because balcony isnt all that important to us.

Anyway, Im excited! still has 2 bedrooms (12502), but more space and included minibar/soda stuff.

And NOLA is still within driving distance, so no needing plane tickets. Darn you, port of Houston for kicking out NCL! (or darn you NCL for leaving Houston, not sure which, Ive heard both)

We had one of the end DOS, with one BR and 1BA, but with the huge LR with the wrap around wall of windows.

It was amazing.

However, we did take a look at the 2BR/2BA DOS next door, and for 4 people, it would be much better.

Even though the forward windows aren't as expansive, and the windows in the LR are rather narrow (the LR has the short side along the diagonal windows, not the long side), you'll still have that absolutely wonderful view.

And that same view is a bit wider (if I remember correctly) in the main BR.

Note that the 2nd BR and BA are very small.

For functionality with 4 adults, it would work very well (keeping in mind that the second BR becomes almost wall-to-wall bed).

But the LR/DR area has plenty of space for relaxing and dining.

All 4 of the DOS are above the Bridge, and that's the view that you'll have :)

Enjoy!

luckily, the 2 in the 2nd bedroom will be 5 and 8, so they should for OK :).

Ah - then you'll be just fine!

(It would be okay with another 2 adults, too, as long as everyone understood how the bedrooms would be.)

It will be a perfect setup, with the children able to have a closed door if you want to stay up in the LR, where the sofa is, or to have a snack.

(You can have dinner served in your suite, which might be really convenient if the children want/need to get to sleep early.)

Or you might want to take a drink into the main BR for the view.

When we saw this suite (about 1.5 years ago), there were 2 easy chairs at the foot of the bed, and they were set facing forward. GREAT VIEW.

The view is slightly better from the 2 side suites, but it's still amazing from the middle two.

We just loved seeing exactly where we were heading, even when there was only water, and moonlight. Nice.

And heading to islands/ports? Even better.

Tio answer the question about price, typically I've seen them very close in price but yes, I've also seen the DOS cheaper than the 2 br.

Are you sure about the room #? 12002 and 12502 are the outer ones and only have one bedroom and sleep up to 4 and 12000 and 12500 are the inner ones and do have 2 br and sleep up to 6

I just got off the Dawn yesterday and had a great trip! We had one of the DOS with 2 bedrooms and it was great. There were 4 adults and a 13 yo in our group. We also had a mobility scooter in our room to boot and we did not feel the least bit cramped.

However I might suggest you double check your reservation. If you are indeed in suite 12502 that is actually the one bedroom and one bath version on the outer wing on the port side. The two bedroom suites 12500 and 12000 while the cabins 12502 and 12002 are not.

I hope this helps.

Tio answer the question about price, typically I've seen them very close in price but yes, I've also seen the DOS cheaper than the 2 br.

Are you sure about the room #? 12002 and 12502 are the outer ones and only have one bedroom and sleep up to 4 and 12000 and 12500 are the inner ones and do have 2 br and sleep up to 6

Oh geez, I mistyped. On the confirmation it's 12500.

Whew! What a way to wake up.

It just blows me away that the 2 br family is more expensive. Less space, no booze, I don't get it. BUT I will take advantage of it!

We stayed in 12500 with my husband and I and our three kids. The youngest was in a pack n play which we put behind the curtain in the master bedroom as she was just a couple weeks over 3 at the time, 13 year old slept in the 2nd bedroom and the 11 year old had the pull out couch.

We loved this room and didn't miss the balcony with a 3 year old it scared me to have a balcony. Your on the same deck as the pool so we would just walk there when we wanted fresh air.

These questions are to all who recently stayed in a DOS on the Dawn. My wife and I will be in 12502 in April. I was wondering, how was your butler and concierge? Does the same butler care for all 4 DOS's? We are suite novices, only sailing once in a suite on NCL POA and did not have the best butler. Were there any special requests provided to you by your butler or concierge? One other question, there is a sun deck with Jacuzzi above these suites on deck 13. Do these area get crowded? Thanks in advance.

It just blows me away that the 2 br family is more expensive. Less space, no booze, I don't get it. BUT I will take advantage of it!

RE: NO BOOZE

My understanding:

You don't get the booze with any suite but when the suite is an OS (Owners Suite) it is customary to have three bottles of liquor your choice provided with the self replenishing bar set up - this except on the POA (Hawaii).

My understanding:

You don't get the booze with any suite but when the suite is an OS (Owners Suite) it is customary to have three bottles of liquor your choice provided with the self replenishing bar set up - this except on the POA (Hawaii).

Except for the convenience of having the booze ready to pour in your own cabin it is not an otherwise big deal - the suite having the UBP !

My understanding:

That's what StarFlyr3 is stating.

They'll be in a 2B/2BA DOS, which has extra perks including "booze" - but they are pointing out that a somewhat *more* expensive "2 BR family suite" has less space, and "no booze" included.

:)

They've done well, is the point.

Those DOS on the Dawn (and one other NCL ship, I think) are pretty special, if one doesn't require a balcony.

My understanding:

Except for the convenience of having the booze ready to pour in your own cabin it is not an otherwise big deal - the suite having the UBP !

Right, on all counts. I don't need the booze, but it still confuses my why the DOS, which is almost double the space of a 2 br family suite AND comes with included minibar and 3 bottles alcohol, is less expensive.

As geezer couple pointed out :).

Might have something to do with the BALCONY and Location The Family suite with Balcony

(SD class) is about $500 or more than the Family suite w/o balcony (SJ class).

For the 9/23 sailing of the DAWN Boston to Quebec example:

3-Bedroom Garden Villa FROM $8249 Deck 14 Class S1

Deluxe Owner's Suite FROM $3599 Deck 12 Class SA

Owner's Suite with Two Balconies FROM $4299 Decks 9 & 10 Class SB

2-Bedroom Family Suite with Balcony Sold Out Estimated $3699 Deck 11 Class SC

Family Suite with Balcony FROM $3299 Deck 12 Class SD

Penthouse with Large Balcony FROM $3499 Decks 9 & 10Class SE

Aft-Facing Penthouse with Large Balcony FROM $3299 Decks 8-9 & 10 Class SF

Family Suite FROM $2799 Deck 12 Class SJ

Wished that the floor plan for each suite was shown in more detail instead of one look/size fits all !

I can understand mirror reverse images and all that but suites should have

a better detailed image - to see what you actually are booking !

Right, on all counts. I don't need the booze, but it still confuses my why the DOS, which is almost double the space of a 2 br family suite AND comes with included minibar and 3 bottles alcohol, is less expensive.

As geezer couple pointed out :).

We found this to be the case when we sailed in 12500. We considered it our hidden gem, more room, better perks. We didn't drink the alcohol...it made great Christmas gifts!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These questions are to all who recently stayed in a DOS on the Dawn. My wife and I will be in 12502 in April. I was wondering, how was your butler and concierge? Does the same butler care for all 4 DOS's? We are suite novices, only sailing once in a suite on NCL POA and did not have the best butler. Were there any special requests provided to you by your butler or concierge? One other question, there is a sun deck with Jacuzzi above these suites on deck 13. Do these area get crowded? Thanks in advance.

Typically the butlers split between the two sides - so one will have 12500 and 12000 and another will have the other two. Plus they will have other suites possibly including aft on 8, 9, 10. Only one concierge. Yes, butlers on NCL are not always the best but sometimes someone will report of butlers with ESP.

Typically the butlers split between the two sides - so one will have 12500 and 12000 and another will have the other two. Plus they will have other suites possibly including aft on 8, 9, 10. Only one concierge. Yes, butlers on NCL are not always the best but sometimes someone will report of butlers with ESP.

The two suites you mention are the two middle ones.

Are you saying that one Butler services the two middle suites and another Butler services the two corner suites?

That's not splitting "between the two sides".

As with the other cabins, the suites with a "5xx" in their number are on one side, and those with "0xx" are on the other.

Or at least, this is how it was when we were on, and the current Deck Plans show the same.

Wished that the floor plan for each suite was shown in more detail instead of one look/size fits all !

I can understand mirror reverse images and all that but suites should have

a better detailed image - to see what you actually are booking !

I always youtube a video of the ones Im looking at before I book. There are a LOT of "cabin tour" videos there.

The two suites you mention are the two middle ones.

Are you saying that one Butler services the two middle suites and another Butler services the two corner suites?

That's not splitting "between the two sides".

As with the other cabins, the suites with a "5xx" in their number are on one side, and those with "0xx" are on the other.

Or at least, this is how it was when we were on, and the current Deck Plans show the same.

No, I wasn't saying that one butler had two inner and a different butler had the two corner suites. I was saying that when I asked at the time one butler had one inner DOS plus the outer DOS on the same side and then some suites on that same "side" plus some aft suites. So they were splitting the DOS between the "0.." cabins and the "5.." cabins or in this case, one had 12500 and 12502 and the other guy had 12000 and 12002.

I didn't ask often they rotated or switched around the butlers on Star or Dawn but I did ask on the BA and there they moved around every two weeks.

For the OP - one thing I'm not sure if you have seen and I don't know if it is still a problem (someone asked about it a week or two ago) was there has been history of the windows in various rooms on 12 to fog up on the Star and Dawn. Also, there was a problem of the DOS not cooling adequately but I see you are going in March so if the problem still exists, it may not be a problem for you.

For the OP - one thing I'm not sure if you have seen and I don't know if it is still a problem (someone asked about it a week or two ago) was there has been history of the windows in various rooms on 12 to fog up on the Star and Dawn. Also, there was a problem of the DOS not cooling adequately but I see you are going in March so if the problem still exists, it may not be a problem for you.

Thank you. I did see that. Im not sure about New Orleans, but I know that sailing in March from Galveston and Houston can be downright cold. I expect it will be similar from New Orleans. Not sure I would have chosen this suite if we were going in, say, mid-July or August.

No, I wasn't saying that one butler had two inner and a different butler had the two corner suites. I was saying that when I asked at the time one butler had one inner DOS plus the outer DOS on the same side and then some suites on that same "side" plus some aft suites. So they were splitting the DOS between the "0.." cabins and the "5.." cabins or in this case, one had 12500 and 12502 and the other guy had 12000 and 12002.

I didn't ask often they rotated or switched around the butlers on Star or Dawn but I did ask on the BA and there they moved around every two weeks.

Okay, but that wasn't what you wrote, and I was responding to what you wrote:

12500 and 12000 are indeed the "middle two" of the 4 DOS suites.

(The outer [corner] two DOS suites both have numbers that end in "xxxx2" on the Dawn.)

I hope that when Dawn is in Dry Dock, they do something to fix the fogging on those wonderful front floor-to-ceiling windows in the DOS.

It shouldn't be difficult; cleaning them out, and then sealing them properly should do it. Presumably the windows just below them don't fog like that: those are windows of the Bridge!

And on the other Jewel class ships, do those same front windows of the Spinnaker lounge fog up? If not, they already know "how to keep them clear".

And if they haven't yet fixed the blinds/curtains (at the very least in 12002), they should do that, too.

By the way, as much as we loved those forward DOS suites and that amazing view on our first NCL cruise, it wasn't until we were next on the Pearl that we really understood what the ship "lost" when the original Spinnaker lounge was converted to suites.

That front observation lounge (as we saw it on the Pearl) is a really wonderful space, and the re-located Spinnaker (as we saw it on the Dawn) is nothing similar.

We found this to be the case when we sailed in 12500. We considered it our hidden gem, more room, better perks. We didn't drink the alcohol...it made great Christmas gifts!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like you can remove the unconsumed alcohol from the ship that comes as a benny with the DOS.

We were in 12500 Dos with 2 BR and 2 bathrooms. We had 6 people in it ages 50,49,23,20,17 and 12. We had plenty of room. Be aware in the master bedroom by the desk there is a leak if it rains hard. Let the steward know if it gets really wet and it will get cleaned up. Ramul was our butler and he was awful. Our friends were in 12028 and 12030 balcony suites. They had Gary and loved him. Patrick the concierge was great. In fact he got more of a tip than our butler. You will have a great cruise.

Yes, 12502 is a one bedroom, because I stayed in it.

The view from the huge front windows is absolutely amazing. I did not miss a balcony since we were so close to the pool deck.