The floods have receded . . in our minds

DocDave69

Our first River cruise was on the Danube in late May of 2013. We were on the river during the worst flooding in centuries. Well, we were 'on' the river only 36 hours, the rest was a pretty mediocre bus tour. We swore that we would never risk another river cruise but that 36 hours gave us a taste of what it could be like. We just booked a late May cruise from Basel to Amsterdam! Hope springs eternal.

Here is a picture from our 2013 'cruise'.

3bb387a76df0d557985cf7866d8fd759.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Wow! Great picture.

I think that we stood in the same spot probably 10 days later (I am almost certain from your picture that this is Regensburg, but correct me if I'm wrong). At that time the waters had receded considerably but the river was still raging. Your picture boggles my mind because we thought that the water we saw was high...but nothing compared to what you saw!

Our early June 2013 cruise was canceled but we visited anyway and had a great time. This picture is dated June 10, 2013. Thanks for posting!

DSC_4993.JPG

Edited by jpalbny

H2Otstr, where is this? And is that a *traffic signal* unterwasser? Wow!

This was taken from our hotel room at the foot of the Chain Bridge. We had to step over sand bags to get to the hotel.

That yellow building is the one on the main walkway by the river on the Pest side.

Wow. I will keep this picture in mind to compare mentally with the view this April, when we are there.

It would also be fun to compare these pictures with the scene this summer, when you could practically walk all the way across the river! Now if only we could keep at the happy medium water level. :)

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

What cruise line were you on?

I think the cruise lines should have cancelled instead of gone with bus tours.

We were on AMA for both trips. We were never bused for the 2015 trip, our boat made it the whole way.

We missed all of the stops in Hungary during the floods, but we were near the end of the trip anyhow, traveling from Bucharest to Budapest. AMA handled it very well.