First X Cruise:SILHOUETTE JAN 17 2016

Bimmer09

I have done 3 of the Princess USTs and I do believe X offers them as I read about it in one of Oliver's reviews (Miaminice). He said you ask about it at Guest Relations and sign up there. I didn't on this trip but will try it on the Reflection.

Oliver took pics on the X bridge.

There was a notice in the Monday (first sea day) newsletter which said

See how it's done-behind the scenes tour. Fee applies. Sign up before Thursday at Guest Relations.

That was it I guess. very low-key.

Norris

Norris, we have been invited by the captain to the bridge/engine room a few times and we were staying in Concierge or Aqua Class, not a Suite. We always strike up a conversation with the officers/captain at the coffee shop. Somehow, this has led to us getting a tour. :) Mission for your next X cruise!

Kim :)

Norris, between the photography, the travelogue, the humour, and the classic rock, this may be my favourite cc review…er Gentleman's Seafaring Journal... of all.

ITA and Adair anyone to do a better job. :D

(You can tell I'm a southern girl when "Adair" sounds like "I dare" LOL)

Since you appreciate the ship's art, if you are ever on the Reflection (;)) be sure and closely check out the picture hanging on the wall outside of Blu.

While not exactly "art", it's still worth a look!

You might already know all about it, but it's something that most don't pay much attention to. I would have never noticed it either, but a UK poster "lenbest" posted about it and I made a note to find it when we were on the Reflection.

We watched it after leaving breakfast at Blu one morning, and had quite a crowd join in wondering what we were so focused on. Then the "ohhhhh wows" started.

I found a youtube video that shows part of it - but I won't spoil the rest of what happens!

You can see how close you have to get to really see what is going on - it's too bad the video taker wasn't able to cut the glare off the glass. ;)

Claudia, thank you. I will now make it a point to introduce ourselves to the Concierge on the first day and enjoy Michael's Club daily. I didn't know the concierge could make things happen like this. It's a great icing on the Suite cake!

The $150 UST on Princess has hors d'ouvres in the galley with the Head Chef and some bubbly. Tour is 3 hours long and limited to 12 people (first come....)

Norris

We also received a picture frame, an 8x10 group photo taken with the captain on the bridge, 4 5x7 group photos taken various places with the people we met there, a notepad printed with our name, a Princess apron, and a Princess robe (the heavy kind that are provided for use in the suites). It was a wonderful tour.

What a wonderful review, I have lurked and followed along for the whole ride!!! Great pictures and great comments.

I have never sailed that ship but have done 2 Hal's and 1 Eclipse, we are joining the Equinox on the 22nd for our 4th cruise. This has certainly been a big inspiration.

Thank you for a non-biased commentary, as we have fallen in love with Celebrity!!

Thanks! They are all reserved for our upcoming cruise :(

When you get to the ship go to guest relations (or the concierge if you're in a suite) and ask to be put on the waiting list!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good morning Norris---continuing to enjoy everything you have to say and show. She's a beautiful girl, no doubt about it. And thank you for your insight re Alaska. I'm really hoping to get there one week in the middle of our heated summer this year or next. But the lure/allure of The Med is really hard to resist. Cheers!

ITA and Adair anyone to do a better job. :D

(You can tell I'm a southern girl when "Adair" sounds like "I dare" LOL)

Since you appreciate the ship's art, if you are ever on the Reflection (;)) be sure and closely check out the picture hanging on the wall outside of Blu.

While not exactly "art", it's still worth a look!

You might already know all about it, but it's something that most don't pay much attention to. I would have never noticed it either, but a UK poster "lenbest" posted about it and I made a note to find it when we were on the Reflection.

We watched it after leaving breakfast at Blu one morning, and had quite a crowd join in wondering what we were so focused on. Then the "ohhhhh wows" started.

I found a youtube video that shows part of it - but I won't spoil the rest of what happens!

You can see how close you have to get to really see what is going on - it's too bad the video taker wasn't able to cut the glare off the glass. ;)

Hi and welcome aboard! Thanks for your enthusiasm for the review-very nice of you to say such positive things.

Thanks for the video link- We will not miss that! Very ingenious and I'm glad that the art varies from ship to ship.

Cheers,

Norris

We also received a picture frame, an 8x10 group photo taken with the captain on the bridge, 4 5x7 group photos taken various places with the people we met there, a notepad printed with our name, a Princess apron, and a Princess robe (the heavy kind that are provided for use in the suites). It was a wonderful tour.

Yes they certainly load you up with goodies on the Princess UST. It's a good value tour. I left my last robe in the cabin as it was too bulky to pack.

Norris

The story continues...last day on board....about 7 a.m or so. Sun not yet risen so I make my way through the pool area, noticing this artwork I hadn't seen before..

Art like this (and the smell of Napalm of course) makes me smile first thing in the morning.

24919821766_71c5f9bfda_b.jpg

More....

Robert Duval Apocalypse Now

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=i+love+the+smell+of+napalm+in+the+morning&view=detail&mid=9273748BF14B4539D2609273748BF14B4539D260&FORM=VIRE7

Sad tomsee this Seafaring Gentleman's Journal about to come to an end. :(

I feel like I'm the one who is facing disembarkation! :eek:

While it is the last day Nancy I, of course, can't write it in one day. I took so many photos that day in an "It's now or never" frame of mind.

I've been writing this since January 25th the day I got back from the cruise...17 days so far. I've written about 400 posts-over 20 a day average. The Emerald review took 42 days and I stopped that one early as you know.

There have been people who may have looked at the length of this and ran for the hills. But I'm not writing it for those who like a short read -"We had a good cruise but my DH didn't like the food and I found the service lacking. We enjoyed all the ports" That's a review but it doesn't tell me much or explain what was wrong with the food or service. I would never buy a book that had only one page.

I digress. Here comes more stuff...

Norris

What a wonderful review, I have lurked and followed along for the whole ride!!! Great pictures and great comments.

I have never sailed that ship but have done 2 Hal's and 1 Eclipse, we are joining the Equinox on the 22nd for our 4th cruise. This has certainly been a big inspiration.

Thank you for a non-biased commentary, as we have fallen in love with Celebrity!!

Thanks for stepping out of the shadows to say hello!

I'm glad you've read the whole thing-something I don't do until the end when it's too late to fix anything!

Thanks for the compliments and enjoy the Eclipse!

Bon Voyage in 10 days!

Norris

Good morning Norris---continuing to enjoy everything you have to say and show. She's a beautiful girl, no doubt about it. And thank you for your insight re Alaska. I'm really hoping to get there one week in the middle of our heated summer this year or next. But the lure/allure of The Med is really hard to resist. Cheers!

Yes the allure of the Med is irresistible. Even though I love Alaska it's hard to beat seeing new cities in Europe with so much history and art on display. And the food. The weather. The foreign accents and way of doing things.

Our plans are currently on hold.

Norris

I've appreciated your review full of photos, humor and information. Thanks for sharing your cruise with us.

Thanks for taking the time to stop in and let me know you are reading and enjoying!

It's my pleasure to share with you.

Norris

We will be on the Silly's March 27th sailing. My only sailing on Celebrity was 10 years ago on the Century. My last large ship experience was on the Grand about 8 years ago. I have kept to the smaller ships since the Grand sailing. Reading your outstanding posts and seeing those wonderful photos has truly made me excited to try one of the big ladies again. Thank you!

Near every elevator bank is a representation of the ship so you know which way is forward or aft and the model has a deck map to guide you. It's a big ship!

24919909666_7563d2d6db_b.jpg

Another art auction is being set up down on deck 3

24319363533_87e9cc4ef1_b.jpg

I'm headed for a bar that I just peeked into after the Meet n Greet on Monday

24919915666_1248300960_b.jpg

Some nice art to enjoy even before I go in

24315618834_2afb0c1fbf_b.jpg

24319379343_450dd90a1d_b.jpg

The word "bar" is really too basic for a room that is this well furnished and rich looking. If you come in with me you'll see what I mean..

Thanks Norris, for helping me get through the past 2 weeks, waiting to board the Silhouette! Loved your review & always was anxiously awaiting the next post. You gave a great refresher course from my previous sailing on its ship. We board in two days & will offer up a toast to you, for your excellent writings!

24578598569_8a13428b06_b.jpg

Art

24319376973_bdcd7c2202_b.jpg

And it's time to move on

24828281632_e0ca7ed798_b.jpg

I had never been in a two deck dining room at sea before and I knew from photos this would be a beauty. Nice art as I walked in.

24315656454_e1b3e126a8_b.jpg

I enter on deck 4 the upper level

24828258122_c5ab7d636b_b.jpg

The decor is dramatic

24946217715_6fc57daea6_b.jpg

I like the chandelier in the Grand Cuvee. It would look nice in our cabin. I make a note to "ask Butler".

24315642474_d93ab46e9a_b.jpg

24650740890_61638ee76a_b.jpg

24828268362_5f9ccc607b_b.jpg

The mighty wine tower

24828269852_2d0bbb83aa_b.jpg

I go back upstairs as this is where Select Dining patrons go. Fixed or Traditional dining eat downstairs

24315649804_9f58a5a613_b.jpg

Some little alcoves with low ceilings-might be quieter there when there are 1200 people dining at dinner...

24650751390_5f6a540293_b.jpg

More...

I have loved the review. We are on the same ship same itinerary March 13th. Your pictures, video's and humor have just made me more excited for our trip. Sorry to see the review ending. I have been along for the ride since you started the review and it has been a daily joy to read the updates.:)

I have loved the review. We are on the same ship same itinerary March 13th. Your pictures, video's and humor have just made me more excited for our trip. Sorry to see the review ending. I have been along for the ride since you started the review and it has been a daily joy to read the updates.:)

Hi and welcome!

Thanks for reading along and being so complimentary. I'm glad you have been enjoying this.

March 13 will soon be here!

Have a great cruise on the Silhouette.

Norris