First X Cruise:SILHOUETTE JAN 17 2016

Bimmer09

Norris,

This review was the cat's meow! 🐱

It has taken me a few days to get through it, but I cannot tell you enough how helpful it has been to me.

I have been wanting to take my mom on a vacation and rather randomly picked and booked the Silhouette a couple of weeks ago for a cruise next month because the dates worked. Neither of us have ever been on a cruise.

I came upon your thread when I was doing a little "after the fact" research and I feel now that we will enjoy the whole experience. We are in Aqua Class and I am happy that you didn't have anything bad to say about Blu. I also got a good idea about ship layout and the basics of how it all worked thanks to you.

I am going to start the Reflection review now since they are similar ships,

Thanks again!

Lynn

Norris,

This review was the cat's meow! 🐱

It has taken me a few days to get through it, but I cannot tell you enough how helpful it has been to me.

I have been wanting to take my mom on a vacation and rather randomly picked and booked the Silhouette a couple of weeks ago for a cruise next month because the dates worked. Neither of us have ever been on a cruise.

I came upon your thread when I was doing a little "after the fact" research and I feel now that we will enjoy the whole experience. We are in Aqua Class and I am happy that you didn't have anything bad to say about Blu. I also got a good idea about ship layout and the basics of how it all worked thanks to you.

I am going to start the Reflection review now since they are similar ships,

Thanks again!

Lynn

Lynn, well I have to say you made a fantastic choice for your first cruise! You will be blown away even more than I was as the whole living on the sea thing is new to you. You'll enjoy Blu as much as I did, I have no doubt.

Thanks for reading it and I'm glad you feel it has helped you prepare for this Amazing ship.

Poke your head into the Reflection review and say hi!

Your comments on the review are much appreciated.

Thank you.

Norris

Hi Norris,

I loved reading your reviews on the Reflection. We haven't sailed her yet, but one day.

I couldn't help to be taken way back to the day when I cruised on the Nordic Prince in 1976, especially when you mentioned your "way back then cruise". I'm sure that's way farther back then anyone remembers, but it was fabulous. Since then my husband and I have only cruised Celebrity. Boy, things sure have changed, but still remain great. Cruising is the best. No complaints with Celebrity, but it is nice to pick up some tips from folks, for which I say thank you for taking us along on your cruise. We leave in a couple of weeks on the Eclipse and you got me even more excited than I already am.

Thanks for all the time you took to share your adventure.

Sorry Norris, this should have been posted on your Reflection review.

Hi Norris,

I loved reading your reviews on the Reflection. We haven't sailed her yet, but one day.

I couldn't help to be taken way back to the day when I cruised on the Nordic Prince in 1976, especially when you mentioned your "way back then cruise". I'm sure that's way farther back then anyone remembers, but it was fabulous. Since then my husband and I have only cruised Celebrity. Boy, things sure have changed, but still remain great. Cruising is the best. No complaints with Celebrity, but it is nice to pick up some tips from folks, for which I say thank you for taking us along on your cruise. We leave in a couple of weeks on the Eclipse and you got me even more excited than I already am.

Thanks for all the time you took to share your adventure.

Sorry Norris, this should have been posted on your Reflection review.

It doesn't matter where it's ended up it's the thought that counts!

I'm happy to see you cruised Royal in the early years. If I can get my scans of the 1986 brochure up ( I am leaving that for later) you'll get some reminders of ship life back then when the ships were very basic.

I'm glad you still feel enthused about Celebrity after all these years. We are newbies to X so have no history to notice changes yet.

Thanks for reading my reviews and commenting!

Enjoy the Eclipse!

Norris

Hi Norris. I don't know which RCCL ship, but it is a Vision Class and they are quite old. Vision of the Seas, Splendor of the Seas, Grandeur of the Seas.The Enchantment is also a Vision Class, but has been stretched for the Bahamas run, so it's larger.

Norris Thanks for the wonderful review.Can't believe I am going to read it all in one day.Side note I was on the RCL Majesty of the Sea for her 25th cruise. We will be on the Silhuoette next January

• 4 months later...

Norris, It's all your fault!

I could NOT get the Silhouette out of my mind after I read this post! I'm sure you realize how long this has been sitting in my brain just thinking about this ship. WHEN will an opportune time come up to cruise this ship and follow in Norris and Carol's foot steps? Well.... I am now booked for Christmas. :)

NOW I have to read through this post once again to get ideas for December!

Gabrielle

I could NOT get the Silhouette out of my mind after I read this post! I'm sure you realize how long this has been sitting in my brain just thinking about this ship. WHEN will an opportune time come up to cruise this ship and follow in Norris and Carol's foot steps? Well.... I am now booked for Christmas. :)

Gabrielle

gr - You will enjoy it, for sure... Congrats!

Cannot wait to read your review upon returning...

enjoy and bon voyage

Norris Thanks for the wonderful review.Can't believe I am going to read it all in one day.Side note I was on the RCL Majesty of the Sea for her 25th cruise. We will be on the Silhuoette next January

Hi there! I just found this reply which came in on my Birthday (in February) which was a whirlwind of cake and Clowns blowing up balloons in animal shapes. Months ago, but as always I like to greet newly announced readers.

I'm glad you liked the review and took a huge amount of time to read it all in one day. I did that and it took 3 sessions of 3 hours. I might have done it faster but I was sipping Guinness and that has to be savored.

Silhouette is still the finest floating hotel I have sailed on and we'll be taking her for a spin to Norway late next year.

Next up for us is October 14th to Canada and New England on the Regal Princess so I hope you'll pop over to the Princess board and get an eyeful of that!

Cheers and thanks!

Norris

Next month first cruise on X and Silhouette, I have enjoyed the details tips and thoughts on this!

I think you missed your calling Norris!

Hi and thanks for reading my "thing" on the Silhouette.

The X board is such a busy, fast moving one that once I laid down my pen (keyboard) the review was left to slowly sink into the depths like Leonardo di Caprio leaving Rose to meet his fate in the frigid waters of the North Atlantic on that fateful night. Page One for a month and then .....

Although it was now 18 months ago the memory is still fresh which is the main reason I write the reviews. If new readers see it later or now then I am happy that they found it and can maybe enjoy it as much as you have done.

I may have missed my calling but then again I have missed many things-and found many new things to keep me happy- like when people respond to my contributions here. CC is the place to be, to learn and to enthuse about cruising. Complain too, if you have reason to.

Cheers and thank you for your kind response!

Norris

Gabrielle

Gabrielle, Merry Christmas in advance!

I'm happy that you you found the review useful and hopefully you had a few laughs along the way. I live to laugh and in the current world that helps me a lot.

Until something more amazing and satisfying comes along the Silhouette is my favorite ship at sea.

I do have some more cruises booked and hope you will read about those too as they appear.

Next is Regal Princess in October and a new camera (not even in the shops yet) will be my sidekick. Review starts October 22, 2017 but tickets are selling fast! Then in January 2018, Crown Princess to the ABC islands. Then September 2018 Silhouette to Norway and (drumroll) January 2019 we are on Azamara Journey for 9 nights to Cuba (Canceling Equinox to do so).

So much for me to look forward to and I will share my excitement to anyone who will listen (read).

Norris, singing "A life on the Ocean Wave" da dee dumptitty, dumptitty, dummmmm

The lack of central staircase(huge log jams at dinner)Surprisingly small main theater & No forward lounge really are a big downside for us on the Regal. No "wow" factor in any dining room. Crappy bath towels. Other than that, its a gorgeous ship inside.

Keith was talking about the Regal Princess and Keith if you are reading then know I am sailing her this October.

Norris

Thank you Norris!!!

My husband and I did Regal two years ago. What a wonderful ship! We enjoyed her- VERY Pretty. On the promenade the back side had a wonderful sitting area that we enjoyed sitting there- very quiet.

Looking forward to your posts! I live vicariously through you!

Gabrielle

...Merry Christmas in advance!

...Then September 2018 Silhouette to Norway and (drumroll) January 2019 we are on Azamara Journey for 9 nights to Cuba (Canceling Equinox to do so).

Norris! Early Christmas indeed. Not only are you cruising a new line, but to an exciting destination few of us can have been to!

Something to look forward to next year. Cheers!

Ed

Norris! Early Christmas indeed. Not only are you cruising a new line, but to an exciting destination few of us can have been to!

Something to look forward to next year. Cheers!

Ed

Ed by the time I get to Cuba there will be a lot of reviews on the boards and possibly improvements in the infrastructure to deal with incoming ships of Americans although I would be fine if they couldn't handle the big ships over 100K tonnes and the gigantic ships at any time. I would hope for it not to mushroom into St Maarten in other words.

I looked at RCI, NCL but they weren't doing more than an overnight in Havana and I doubt if NCL is my cup of tea. I looked at HAL, Oceania and Azamara and read about each on CC where I have always surfed around anyway. Azamara had us staying in Havana for 35 hours and visits to Cienfuegos and Santiago de Cuba and those other two stops have enticing youtube videos (where I live). Az was pricy and the further aft we went in choosing a balcony cabin I heard cash registers going "ca-ching!" but Carol loves her wake view. We were back there on the Ocean Princess in the Med but in a huge suite for our most expensive cruise yet (small ship economics). Azamara suites there were more than we wanted to spend for a leap in the dark on a new (to us) cruise line. So we booked a Deluxe (it comes with an extra roll of toilet paper) Balcony cabin on Azamara Journey for January 15 2019 out of Miami, which we loved sailing from on the recent X Reflection cruise.

It's a long time ( 545 days ) away and in the meantime we have other cruises and land vacations such as a week of Wagner opera in San Francisco June 2018. We could fly to Cuba tomorrow and stay in a hotel but we can wait and have the excitement of a new line and a new destination all at once.

My head at the minute is filled with (apart from the many voices) the prep for our Regal Princess cruise in October.

Thanks for the comment! Come visit me on the Regal review.

I'll leave the light on for you.

Norris

Cannot wait for the upcoming pictures . Expecting some great fall foliage and city ones. Especially with the new camera. Then Cuba. Pam

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Pam we have more (4) cruises booked than is normal but they are well spaced out due to my two weeks vacation allotment. It is a bit dizzying to think of them all so I don't do that often but have to focus on one at a time. Who knows if all of them will come to fruit? They usually do and I can only see health issues or Wagner festivals getting in the way of any of them. Things unforeseen.

I can promise some pics of New York pre and post-cruise. We have both spent a lot of time there over the years, going to the opera or sightseeing. It's one thing to sail out of Port Everglades where we barely leave our Marriott hotel but a whole different kettle of fish (usually sea bass) to spend the day before and two days after in New York City where two of our favorite restaurants live and where Central Park is on our doorstep. Much anticipation there.

I don't anticipate a lot of fall color but hope I am wrong. Over the past 10 years or so we have either driven up to Ontario or Northern Michigan in October to see the color but it has been happening later each year and last year we were there around Halloween to see it at it's best. Canada's Eastern Provinces may be on a higher latitude so maybe we'll strike lucky but that would just be very rich icing on the cruise cake. We need to be back on a ship and some new ports make it exciting as does a new ship that was previously off my radar as I am not a lover of the exterior designs. I'll tell it like it is (to me) but know I can rely on good food and entertainment for a week and will get my share of lobster along the way.

I have the camera on pre-order from Amazon as it doesn't ship until the 27th of July. I started off my cruising with a pocket Canon which I still have then a year later treated myself to one of their cheapest (but well-regarded DSLRs) to try and get crisper pictures. I rented a Full Frame Canon for our Reflection cruise to try it out and was hooked so now I am waiting for the new model which is considerably upgraded and costs more.

In the 6 years since I started cruising as a passenger I have got interested in taking better photos and am working through an online course (for a price) from my favorite teacher called Mike Browne so I am hoping for better photos than you have seen thus far. Time and practice will tell. I gave up using the camera's Auto mode on our last cruise as a way to exercise my brain more. I have a gym membership to exercise my body so learning photography (and Rosetta Stone languages) is my way to exercise my brain now that I am in my sixties and make me challenge myself to do better. So expect better photos and videos and some new "jokes". I won't be able to blame the camera.

We have final payment on the Regal Princess on July 31 and once that is done we will be in focused cruise mode and on a countdown clock of 75 days (Azamara wants 120 days).

It's such a lot of anticipation for me (moreso than Carol whose job doesn't allow her much time to think ). It will have been 9 whole months between cruises and I am certainly ready for it!

Read all about it on October 22!

Thanks for sharing in my anticipation and enthusiasm.

Norris

Norris, I thought I remembered in past reviews you mentioning that you had no interest in the royal class princess ships. What made you change your mind or am I remembering that wrong?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

No, your memory serves you well.

I thought there were some bonehead design choices-which I will get to in my review and either see the reasoning or flip my lid and foam at the mouth (and I ain't talking Guinness Mustache which I wear proudly on each cruise). Interior-wise I expect to like much of it as it is different from the Grand Class and I love the designer's work, although the idea of the Crown Grill being open to the Wheelhouse bar is a baffler and Princess Live sounds like a daft idea.

Don't get me started...

We needed a cruise and I think we liked the idea of not flying to Europe and sailing from New York harbor has a tremendous appeal as we love that city. New ports on rocky coastlines also float our boat. We both love lobster... Also as Princess are committed to the Royal Class until they design something better we may as well sail on one. Carol has no prejudices against the Royal Class so I didn't try to dissuade her as the itinerary was her idea. I'll tell it like it is (to me, the only person I can speak for). I'll be on a big ship, eating well and being entertained so I know it won't be the cruise from Hell.

We have already branched out to the Celebrity S Class (Home Run!) and have an Azamara booking so we don't intend just to sail Princess over and over if there is a good alternative. We currently have 2 Princess, 1 Celebrity and 1 Azamara booked and I feel good about that.

I love both Princess and X as my reviews will attest, your Honor.

Thanks for the question!

Norris

We sailed on the royal in Feb, not our first choice but it too had the itinerary we wanted.we really missed the promenade Deck, walking the walking track up top was not the same, and the substitution of the fountain for another pool makes no sense. We had fun in the princess live theatre though, the food court is the best of the ships we have been in, and its a cruise so we had a great time as I am sure you will too.

Kimcht, thanks for the response re your experience on the Royal Princess. I know this is a Celebrity thread but there are people on it who sail Princess or are curious-as I was at one time about X.

My curiosity was well founded and I have had two fine cruise experiences on X. If the buffet on the Regal Princess is on par (or even better than?) the Oceanview Cafe then I will be a happy camper. The Grand Class Princess ships' buffet is wanting in comparison in terms of flow-if there's a line I'll come back later rather than deal with it.

We make final payment tomorrow and are gung-ho to see for ourselves. Promenade deck criticism to follow October 22 and that daffy fountain show had better be as Amazing as the fountains of Bellagio to justify it's taking up deck space. Video camera at the ready.

We'll be on a cruise ship and as far as interior decor goes a beautiful one so we are looking forward to another great experience at sea.

Cheers!

Norris

We will be on the Silly next year. It will be our 4th different S class ship and it will be great to get a preview of her. Thank you for writing it!

And thanks for reading it!

It's now 18 months since I wrote it and we have had a couple of cruises since then but it's still memorable to me mainly because of the ship, which is my favorite of those I've sailed over the past 6 years of cruising. The ship and the crew made a good first impression of Celebrity.

It's a long time- just over a year- before we sail X again as we have 2 Princess sailings in the meantime but the next will be Norway on the Silhouette.

Best wishes,

Norris

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, I have just started a review of my sailing last week to New England/Canada on the Regal Princess.

If interested click on the link and come and say hi while seeing a ship and ports you may not be familiar with.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2556992

Cheers!

Norris