First X Cruise:SILHOUETTE JAN 17 2016

Bimmer09

Hi Michelle, thanks for the compliments on the review!

I am impressed that you are going to give X a try in 2017 and hope that the X website makes it easy for you. The Princess site has spoiled me- I expected them all to be like that.

We are avid Princess cruisers but are happy now that we can add X to our choices. I hope you can too.

Best wishes,

Norris

Thank you. I'm checking out the Celebrity site this evening. I love Princess. I am excited to try a new cruise line. I've cruised RCCL, Carnival, and HAL but it's been a long time. Looking forward to experiencing Celebrity.

My dear sir, please take a bow (standing ovation). I have not been reading/posting for quite some time, and when I finally get back to the CC boards I have to catch up on not only one but two amazing cruise reviews by you. I will catch up on the Emerald one soon enough, but I really wanted to read your X review first. I have really wanted to sail this line, but was unsure of what it was really like. Your Princess reviews swayed me to do a Princess last June (first time), as our few prior cruises were all RC (which we really like). Your writing style and pictures are top notch, and all of your hard work is so appreciated. I now have a huge desire to sail 2017 with X. This year is another land vacation, as we love our road trips and National Parks as well. Too much to see and do and so little time. Like you always say, maybe when we retire. Thank you so very much for all of your time and wit and making me smile and laugh, a lot.

I am also a lurker, but I have read all of your reviews, except the Sept, Emerald, but I did read about your ordeal in November. Hope you are doing well and everything is getting back to a more normal.

Take care and thank you a million times over.

My dear sir, please take a bow (standing ovation). I have not been reading/posting for quite some time, and when I finally get back to the CC boards I have to catch up on not only one but two amazing cruise reviews by you. I will catch up on the Emerald one soon enough, but I really wanted to read your X review first. I have really wanted to sail this line, but was unsure of what it was really like. Your Princess reviews swayed me to do a Princess last June (first time), as our few prior cruises were all RC (which we really like). Your writing style and pictures are top notch, and all of your hard work is so appreciated. I now have a huge desire to sail 2017 with X. This year is another land vacation, as we love our road trips and National Parks as well. Too much to see and do and so little time. Like you always say, maybe when we retire. Thank you so very much for all of your time and wit and making me smile and laugh, a lot.

I am also a lurker, but I have read all of your reviews, except the Sept, Emerald, but I did read about your ordeal in November. Hope you are doing well and everything is getting back to a more normal.

Take care and thank you a million times over.

Thanks so much for the barrage of compliments! Much appreciated.

I'm glad that the reviews swayed you to sail Princess and now Celebrity. I am just reporting what I see/experience on two worthy lines that can offer a great getaway on beautiful ships. It's very exciting to see someone else take the plunge.

It's very nice of you to come out of the shadows and let me know you have been reading my reviews.

I hope you'll enjoy the Emerald review-some amazing ports in that one!

Thanks again,

Norris

Hi Norris,

Well, I made it through this entire review with great interest. I actually started on the Princess board with the comparison when it was still in the early stages, but you caught my interest and off I went to this complete and informative IN DEPTH review. Entertaining as well, as always.

Again, thanks for taking the time to do this, you definitely set the standard for cruise reviews. (and each one seems to get better) I have some comments regarding the comparison, which I will post on that thread.

I have been considering Celebrity cruise for some time and this certainly helps me make my decision. It will depend on the itinerary and cost but certainly will be one I research in the future. (as long as I have patience with their website)

Well, time to go back to the comparison. See you there.

Dixon:cool:

I can't say. I know there's a charge of $4.50 without a package. I didn't shop there. I got my smoothie fix in Blu. They only asked to see my beverage package sticker for cappuccino.

Maybe someone else has the answer for you?

I'm glad you are still following along!

Norris

Yes some are as is some food but not all

I'm looking forward to boarding the Silhouette on Sunday. Thank you for all the great pictures! Your review is a real resource to see for those who have never been on a ship - I'm referring your site to those who haven't!

Thanks Tina, I appreciate the referrals!

I'm glad you enjoyed the review.

Norris

Hi Norris,

Well, I made it through this entire review with great interest. I actually started on the Princess board with the comparison when it was still in the early stages, but you caught my interest and off I went to this complete and informative IN DEPTH review. Entertaining as well, as always.

Again, thanks for taking the time to do this, you definitely set the standard for cruise reviews. (and each one seems to get better) I have some comments regarding the comparison, which I will post on that thread.

I have been considering Celebrity cruise for some time and this certainly helps me make my decision. It will depend on the itinerary and cost but certainly will be one I research in the future. (as long as I have patience with their website)

Well, time to go back to the comparison. See you there.

Dixon:cool:

Dixon, thanks for the kind compliments on the review!

I'm glad you are finding the comparison useful.

Norris

I have been following along on your comparison review as well; just wanted you to know I was thinking of you today and the trial; please let us know how all turns out; hoping justice will be greatly served; was there more than 1 perp who committed the invasions? If so, I hope they are all found and tried. Hope you are doing well.

Hello Norris,

I've come to the end of your great review. As you know I've followed you and Carol along on your adventures and enjoy your reviews and pictures very much. We did not cruise this winter because we are in the middle of making two weddings as both of our kids decided to get married within a year of each other (those crazy kids!) taking our cruise money. The nerve of them!

The ship looked beautiful from the pictures, but as you know we are long time Princess cruisers and it seemed very different to us. I saw you booked your next cruise on X, has PCL lost you? I hope not!

Glad you are well and home safe.

Ron

Hello Norris,

The ship looked beautiful from the pictures, but as you know we are long time Princess cruisers and it seemed very different to us. I saw you booked your next cruise on X, has PCL lost you? I hope not!

Ron

Ron thanks for the compliments on the review.

In red...No, we intend to sail both lines. X was different from Princess and that's what we were looking for-variety but worthwhile variety. We may try a third too.

Cheers,

Norris

I have been following along on your comparison review as well; just wanted you to know I was thinking of you today and the trial; please let us know how all turns out; hoping justice will be greatly served; was there more than 1 perp who committed the invasions? If so, I hope they are all found and tried. Hope you are doing well.

Walt fan, thanks for the kind thoughts.

The trial was postponed due to bad weather in Michigan. A 2nd perp (the getaway driver) is still at large.

Norris

Norris,

I'm really enjoying your review and comparison. My wife has been reading over my shoulder from time to time. She wants to know whether you have any pictures of the Sky Suite bathroom that you can post. I don't recall seeing any in your review.

Thanks!

Norris,

I'm really enjoying your review and comparison. My wife has been reading over my shoulder from time to time. She wants to know whether you have any pictures of the Sky Suite bathroom that you can post. I don't recall seeing any in your review.

Thanks!

Jim the bathroom pics are on page 9, post 165.

Norris

Took me 3 days but I've finally finished your review. :) Very enjoyable. I'm looking even more forward to my Med cruise on the Silhouette (in about 580 days I think, lol).

Natalie thanks for reading all the way through.

I'm glad you found it enjoyable.

Cheers,

Norris

Norris,

I have thoroughly enjoyed your review--and I'm loving your comparison over on the Princess board. You've made me determined to sail the Silhouette on a relaxing Caribbean itinerary so I can focus on enjoying the ship. I sailed her this past September in Europe--I absolutely loved the cruise and the ship is stunning! Unfortunately, it was so port intensive that I was too exhausted at the end of the day to focus on all the ship has to offer. I did, however, get into an enjoyable after-dinner routine of settling into one of the comfy chairs in Cafe al Bacio that overlook the grand foyer. What a wonderful way to end a long day in Europe--sipping a fancy coffee (or a coffee/liquor :D) and people watch. Then I would drag myself up to my balcony and enjoy the sights from there. It's most definitely time to cruise the Silhouette just for the ship!

Norris,

I have thoroughly enjoyed your review--and I'm loving your comparison over on the Princess board. You've made me determined to sail the Silhouette on a relaxing Caribbean itinerary so I can focus on enjoying the ship. I sailed her this past September in Europe--I absolutely loved the cruise and the ship is stunning! Unfortunately, it was so port intensive that I was too exhausted at the end of the day to focus on all the ship has to offer. I did, however, get into an enjoyable after-dinner routine of settling into one of the comfy chairs in Cafe al Bacio that overlook the grand foyer. What a wonderful way to end a long day in Europe--sipping a fancy coffee (or a coffee/liquor :D) and people watch. Then I would drag myself up to my balcony and enjoy the sights from there. It's most definitely time to cruise the Silhouette just for the ship!

Hi and thanks for the response!

I think of the Silhouette as a destination in itself and agree that you wouldn't be able to enjoy all she has to offer on a Med cruise where you are likely to have just one sea day and some 10 hour excursions in the many ports. Our itinerary with 3 sea days in the Caribbean would be ideal to really relax on board and explore the ship.

Norris

I'm busy this morning- before we reach pier 25 I will have recorded 3 videos which you'll see soon.

To accomplish such feats a man such as I needs coffee which means a trip to the Oceanview Cafe on deck 14. Something interesting happened there....

It's about 5.30 a.m by now, prior to docking.

I walk in and am maybe the only passenger there. Two young ladies are prepping Il Secondo Baccio coffee bar for business. I walk past them slowly. Hmm-no chirpy "Good Morning , Sir!" which I usually hear. Onward to the coffee and during my trip I meet maybe 5 buffet workers prepping. Again, no greeting when there is usually a chorus,even from staff 20 feet away.

I get my coffee to go and walk back the way I came, slowing down at Il Secondo Baccio. I walked a few feet past and stopped to walk back to the two girls.

"We don't open until 6" one said.

"That I know," said I " I was just noticing that when I walked through here just now none of the crew, including you, said hello and yet they usually all do. That's interesting.."

Nothing from the other side of the counter, so I walked on.

Three hours later, walking through Ensemble Lounge I came upon my new friends Jeff and Lisa, from Florida and stopped to chat. I told them it seemed like a switch was flicked off at midnight by some of the crew I had met this morning.

They both nodded in agreement and Jeff said he noticed it in Blu where the servers turned off the morning cheery charm and were all business.

None of us have that e mail survey yet and our cruises are not over until our feet hit pier 25. The last impression therefore isn't a 10 for service but rather "we don't have to try so hard anymore and we can drop the act". Interesting...

Great review and thanks for sharing, we have sailed Reflection twice and will be on Silly in May in the Batics. We sailed Allure January 31st which your picture of her was great.

For what you say above, all week while on a ship crew can't do enough for you. The messages left on the TV each day is over whelming. The last day on our last cruise I turned on the messages in the morning and it said

TIME FOR YOU TO GET OFF! DON'T LET THE CABIN DOOR HIT YOU IN THE ***! :D

Norris, Even though it took parts of four days to read, I don't think I've ever enjoyed a review more. You brought back many fond memories of our first X cruise, aboard the Solstice last year. 18 wonderful days. First Solstice cruise for Luminae.

I am very thankful for all I learned from you and your responders. Our first stop WILL BE the Michael's Club concierge. I've always wanted to do a bridge tour. And have dinner with the captain without becoming employed as a waiter.:D

The cruise we booked before disembarking (normally wonderful perks for booking on board as you stated) has us aboard Millennium for a transpac with 10 sea days to try out those half-price specialty restaurants.:) After cruising in a Sky Suite (the other corner of deck seven BTW and yes, the walk to the elevator is long, but does work off some of those meals) we were offered a Celebrity Suite at a VERY good price ... so we will have even more "room in our room" as well as a dining "room" for meals and "tea".

It will be interesting to see the differences between Solstice Class and Millennium Class.

Thanks again and smooth sailing, Norris.

Cheers!

Edited by AZNative2000