Money Matters

Joyful Joyful

We are booked on the Fascination for 2/13, my husband and two of my sons (adults). I got our online check in done, been after my boys to get their accounts set up. Because they are both on limited incomes (first jobs, after college, not making much dough), they are hesitant to set up the accounts because of the $100 hold that goes on their debit cards (they may need that money before we leave). So, the question is, what is the latest that they can set up their accounts before we sail? One of my sons was just here, and said that he could not find the answer anywhere on Carnival's website. I told him I know just where to go to get the answer - my cruise buddies on Cruise Critic!

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge on this!!

Nineteen days and counting!!

But he will need to set it up one way or another in order to make his online check in complete allowing him to print his boarding pass. Usually the cruise disappears from your cruise manager approx. 2 days before sailing.

I always do a cash account. Not because of the holds (but I would NEVER use a debit card) but because I buy the discounted Carnival Gift Cards and use them as payment. Maybe he could look into purchasing some of those at Kroger to get bonus fuel points or if he has Verizon points, at the 10% discount if they are available.

If not, then I suggest that he stick with a cash account and add funds at the pier, Guest Services, or via self service kiosk via cold, hard cash. If he is that low in his bank account then there's no way I would give them his debit card. They will charge an initial hold and then additional holds as the days go by. It could be days or a week before the holds are released blocking access to his funds.

But he will need to set it up one way or another in order to make his online check in complete allowing him to print his boarding pass. Usually the cruise disappears from your cruise manager approx. 2 days before sailing.

I always do a cash account. Not because of the holds (but I would NEVER use a debit card) but because I buy the discounted Carnival Gift Cards and use them as payment. Maybe he could look into purchasing some of those at Kroger to get bonus fuel points or if he has Verizon points, at the 10% discount if they are available.

Besides Kroger - is there a way to get discounted cards? No Kroger here in South Texas - and I'm new to Carnival but I would love to buy discounted gift cards! Thanks for the help

Besides Kroger - is there a way to get discounted cards? No Kroger here in South Texas - and I'm new to Carnival but I would love to buy discounted gift cards! Thanks for the help

Verizon points if you have a Verizon account and Citi Easy Deals if you have an eligible credit card through Citi.

If you are an AARP member they have discounted cards from time to time. I purchased one recently. The one I purchased for 85.00 had a value of 100.00. There is also a 500.00 one (not sure of the cost).

They don't always have them just keep checking.

Kroger's gift cards are not discounted. You do not have to be an AARP member to get the discounted gift cards through them. If you search this forum, you will find a long discussion of the AARP gift cards. Those are discounted at 10%.

Tom Thumb/Randall's/Safeway has them. I don't know if you have those.

Also, according to the Carnival website: Bi Lo, Giant Eagle, Hy-Vee, Lowes Hardware, and Simon Property Group

And, as has been pointed out, they are not discounted at local grocery stores. But, you get gas points (sometimes double points on gift cards). Can be loaded with $25-$500 at the stores. If he can find them, an extra $25 every once and a while while getting groceries can get him the onboard cash he needs in a less painful way.

With their concern for holds, I'd recommend they use cash to secure the accounts rather than debit cards. Honestly because of the hold situation (and a brief period of an approximately double hold after your cruise) I would never recommend a debit card for this particular use. Use cash or a credit card.

Edited by gtalum

Verizon points if you have a Verizon account and Citi Easy Deals if you have an eligible credit card through Citi.

Citi Easy Deals is offering a $100 gc for $90 and you have to use your Citibank cc to purchase. Not much of a discount, but I guess every little bit helps. :cool:

Citi Easy Deals is offering a $100 gc for $90 and you have to use your Citibank cc to purchase. Not much of a discount, but I guess every little bit helps. :cool:

It's a pretty decent discount to me! I have used them for my last 3 cruises. Anyone who knows me knows that I don't buy anything or go anywhere if I have to pay full price :D

Kroger's gift cards are not discounted. You do not have to be an AARP member to get the discounted gift cards through them. If you search this forum, you will find a long discussion of the AARP gift cards. Those are discounted at 10%.

How can that be right? If you are not an AARP member, then you don't have the points needed to get the discounted gift card.

With all of these discounts, you are using reward points to get the discount. I am pretty sure you have to be a member of AARP to get the points to give you the discount.

As for the Debit card - definitely do not let them use their Debit cards. They can always get a pre-paid Visa to use also. They can put as much money on the Visa they want to and then if there is left over after the cruise they can use the Visa. If you use all Carnival gift cards, remember that any excess not used on your S&S account will be put back onto a gift card unless you cash out.

It's a pretty decent discount to me! I have used them for my last 3 cruises. Anyone who knows me knows that I don't buy anything or go anywhere if I have to pay full price :D

Oh I definitely understand that...maybe I'm just always looking for "the deal of a lifetime"..:D

Edited by sjbrown01
add quote

Oh I definitely understand that...maybe I'm just always looking for "the deal of a lifetime"..:D

Well the best deal I got recently on gift cards was one through AMEX and New Egg. Spend $200 (on the gift card) and get a $25 statement credit. So I netted an additional $5.

I don't suspect gift cards will get any cheaper especially since Carnival didn't run their specials this year. But the good news is you can pay for your cruise, tips, and onboard spending with the gift cards. So find a good deal AND use the gift cards! :)

We are booked on the Fascination for 2/13, my husband and two of my sons (adults). I got our online check in done, been after my boys to get their accounts set up. Because they are both on limited incomes (first jobs, after college, not making much dough), they are hesitant to set up the accounts because of the $100 hold that goes on their debit cards (they may need that money before we leave). So, the question is, what is the latest that they can set up their accounts before we sail? One of my sons was just here, and said that he could not find the answer anywhere on Carnival's website. I told him I know just where to go to get the answer - my cruise buddies on Cruise Critic!

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge on this!!

Nineteen days and counting!!

No hold goes on the card until they board the ship, but it is never wise to use a debit card for account creation.

How can that be right? If you are not an AARP member, then you don't have the points needed to get the discounted gift card.

With all of these discounts, you are using reward points to get the discount. I am pretty sure you have to be a member of AARP to get the points to give you the discount.

Ok just to clear this up ... you don't have to be "old" or "retired" to join AARP's rewards program. I'm no where near retirement age and I did it. Plus, they award you enough points just for joining that you can buy several carnival gift cards immediately ... then take some quizzes and stuff and easily earn more points if you run out.

I book cruises way in advance and just buy a couple $100 gift cards every 6 weeks when they are avail ... and use them for the whole cruise, tips, obc and everything ... it's a GREAT deal cause I save 10% off the ENTIRE cruise (including TIPS!) and don't have the sting of paying all at once. Just gotta make sure I've purchased enough cards by final payment ... then buy a couple more before leaving for on board purchases

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude :)