Salty Dog Pub

Host CJSKIDS

Aloha Kakou,

I just thought I'd put in my $0.02 here on the Salty Dog. Many of you know that Leialoha and I have been on the Ruby for the last few Hawaiian cruises, and one of the highlights for us has been the addition of the Salty Dog. We tried it on the first post-dry dock cruise and just last cruise went twice.

I think that you actually get a good value for $19...as the portions look small, but are actually quite generous. The Ernesto Burger is crazy tasty...with some really unusual flavoring. The dips that come with the various dishes are really great, and found the variety of dishes pretty good. My personal favorites are the short rib poutine and the lobster mac and cheese.

The atmosphere in the Wheelhouse is quite nice, as the current duo that plays for the dining is a wonderful mix of latin and ballroom styles, performed on nylon string guitar with a very smooth groove to it. Points to the programming...it makes for a relaxing and enjoyable experience.

We have been with Princess now for almost 11 years, and I have to say, to me, this has been my favorite addition as far as specialty restaurants go. The service was top notch, and they have some unusual beverages to pair things with.

I know this might be for everyone, but personally speaking, I think this is well worth checking out.

Aloha No,

Tiki Dave

(of Elua)

http://www.facebook.com/eluamusic

http://www.facebook.com/tikidavemusic

Love the positive/raving review!! I do want to try this place, especially now. There will be 3 of us on our next cruise, so I think we might be able to try almost everything, if not everything. I am willing to give anything a try, at least once. Plus, I've never had a "bad cruise" so I think it's worth a shot.

Thank you,

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I've tried to read up on the salty dog, but I'm still confused. It appears to be simply a specialty menu served in the wheelhouse bar. Is that correct? Can we hang out in the wheelhouse and drink their special whiskeys without eating there? Thx~

Hey guys, I've tried to read up on the salty dog, but I'm still confused. It appears to be simply a specialty menu served in the wheelhouse bar. Is that correct? Can we hang out in the wheelhouse and drink their special whiskeys without eating there? Thx~

We just tried the Salty Dog on the Ruby Princess. It is a specialty menu. It takes place in the Wheelhouse bar starting at 6:00 p.m. When we went there, the place was packed with diners. I would not want to be trying to enjoy a drink at that time.

Glad to hear it is becoming popular. Anxious to try it on the emerald next week. I believe that they promote the wheelhouse as being open to both diners and loungers, you should be welcome to try a sip of a higher end whisk(e)y.

We ate at The Salty Dog on the Ruby a few weeks back, and the DW and I both decidely enjoyed our experience. The Lobster Mac, Crab Cakes and Burger were all good as quality comfort food. I also liked imbibing one of the Princess' signature micro-brews with my meal.

We arrived as walk-ins (w/ no reservation) as a spontaneous alternative to what looked to be a 30-min. wait for the MDR one particular evening.

Afterwards, we both agreed that we found ourselves preferring the Salty Dog experience to our meal at 'Share'(@ 2x the cover charge pp).

There was a modern folksy singer/guitar-player playing mellow tunes at a reasonable volume while we dined. Our waiter was very pleasant and the service was timely.

As another stated ITT, yes for $6 pp more, one could have a fabulous meal at the CG (which we did another night), it was still nice to try something different and experience a new alternative dining option on a Princess ship.

We were on the Crown in February and ate at the Salty Dog. No reservation and walked right in at 6:30 PM. The staff were all friendly and energetic, and gave us great recommendations on the food. It was actually too much for us to finish, but we did our best. I personally think it would be a good idea to skip the french fry appetizer and would do so if we eat there again.

I would have to say besides the Burger, the lemon dessert was the most outstanding dish. My wife told me the Lobster Mac and Cheese was not very good and I could see the cheese appeared to be much more runny than one would expect. There were two very small pieces of lobster in the dish. The Grilled Cheese was very comforting and was full of melty goodness. The Short Rib was delicious and melted in my mouth. If that dish was offered in the Crown Grill I expect it would sell out quickly every night. The pork belly and polenta was OK but nothing special. I did not like the beets, but I have never really been a fan of them anyway, but they were highly recommended.

The music from the stage area of the Wheelhouse was not so loud that my wife and I could not talk and it actually was enjoyable. There were still plenty of the seats and tables from the Wheelhouse and probably more people in the bar then were eating in the Salty Dog. I also saw some of the Wheelhouse patrons eating the very delicious bread stick and fondue appetizer at their tables and will definitely go back to the Wheelhouse and try to score that and enjoy it with some of the Bourbon choices in the bar.

Overview of Restaurant

1967043062_Tables.jpg.d75c4f2561068359304b2b26914bf9cb.jpg

French Fries Appetizer and Salad

1347269067_FriesandSalad.jpg.7a76a6fb7e5b87099dfd895dd0dc8452.jpg

Grilled Cheese and Short Rib

1633566944_GrilledCheeseTomatoSoupandShortRibs.jpg.d9d48783c061933bda6dd34492b4c83b.jpg

Best Burger Ever

Burger.jpg.926c70f41f59ef72b7ccff4b9db4a680.jpg

Donut Dessert

1974304702_Donutdessert.jpg.ffa0880d27f661b4d64536dda0931330.jpg

This is my first time inserting pictures, and they were taken with a smart phone, but you get the idea.

My wife would probably not go back because she is not much of an adventurist when it comes to food, but I plan on returning the next time I am on the Crown.

We just walked up to the Salty Dog at the Wheelhouse (no reservations) on our cruise on the Crown a couple of weeks ago. Neither of us were too hungry and just didn't want to deal with the MDR that evening so decided to check out the Salty Dog menu. It looked good so we asked the waiter if we could order just one dinner and share it - no problem.

We were seated in the alcove to the right of the door into the Wheelhouse from the main passageway. There are about a dozen tables in this area and that evening only two other couples. This was about 7 pm. A soft rock duet was playing and the music level was just right - easy conversation and good music.

We started out with the included "dipping sticks" which were thin tasty breadsticks with a beer/cheddar dipping sauce - very good. They threw in a salad (not on the menu) followed by some excellent truffle/garlic fries with a choice of (more) dipping sauces. For our three plate selections we went with the "Ernesto" burger - a very tall and very good burger - lots of flavor and filling. Also got the grilled cheese sandwich and white tomato soup. There were only a couple of 1" strips of grilled cheese sandwich but it was also very good. The soup tasted like a good tomato soup but was white. Very different. Our third plate was the salt roasted heirloom beets with a goat cheese fondue (yet another dipping sauce?). We decided on our shared dessert but can't remember what it was called but bourban was in the name. Excellent!

All in all, we really enjoyed the fare. That evening, it was just the right amount of food for us even with splitting of only one dinner. We had dinner at the Crown Grill earlier in the cruise and really enjoyed that as well. Is the Salty Dog worth the $19 cover charge? It's only $6 less than the CG. I think it was for us that night but if we were either very hungry or celebrating a special occasion, I would go with the CG or Sabatinni's. We will also go back to the SD on future cruises if its offered and try some of the other choices but will definitely get the "Ernesto" burger again.

To an earlier poster who was concerned about the lack of vegetarian options. There were at least 5 or 6 vegetarian choices on the menu.

My problem is that I like the Wheelhouse Bar for dancing and drinking. Making it a

restaurant is not for me. Also, they took out some great furniture and replaced it with

some Walmart furniture on the Crown.

I am sorry,l just loved the Wheelhouse, with all its P & O history. I hope it moves somewhere else or just expires.

Greg

We're on the Caribbean Princess in like 2 weeks, I'll report back our findings/t thoughts.

Reading all the reviews and knowing our tastes, I am confident we'll enjoy it.

BTW if the music is too loud... well you know what comes next! ;):D

We just got off the Ruby. Loved the Salty Dog! It was a nice change. Only a portion of the Wheelhouse was used as the 'restaurant'. All the comfy high back chairs, couches and coffee tables were still being used as a sitting area for those who weren't doing the restaurant portion. The entertainment was excellent and not loud. It was a really nice atmosphere that was enjoyed by everyone whether they were eating or not. There were 4 of us so we tried a variety of items on the menu. Most were excellent and would definitely eat again. The chocolate bourbon pot for dessert was incredible!! Highly recommend that one! Looking forward to going again on the next cruise!

• 1 month later...
Is that a dig on their Anytime Dining program...a fiasco?

I estimate that 'dealing with the MDR' can mean a few different things.

Dining in the MDR can be a longer affair -- a minimum of at least 1 hour, often well into 1 1/2-2 hours. It also requires dressing up a little(beyond casual wear).

When sailing a tropical itinerary, sometimes the DW doesn't feel like dealing with her hair - which can get a little frazzled after a day under the sun, on the beach and in the water. Sometimes, I simply don't feel like throwing on some pants, socks and shoes on a warm tropical evening. It's these evenings that we often find ourselves in the HC for a casual meal.

When attending the MDR(anytime), we choose to dine alone -- if immediately available. However, arriving at peak dining times, often being able to be seated with very little(or no) waiting times, we usually opt to dine at shared tables(as opposed to tables for two - which are about the same as shared table dining anyhow-- As the banks of (couples)tables are placed so close to eachother:rolleyes:, and they're usually served on similar timelines).

We also usually enjoy sharing tables with fellow passengers, as most often the table conversations may be pleasant and engaging. Being port-active cruisers, sometimes we are wiped out after intensive port days. On those days, we may not be in the mood for table-conversations with strangers, and may not want to appear rude as the silent/tired-looking ones at a talkative table.

Even on days when we aren't wiped out, after a long day in port, it's nice to be able to relax a little bit before heading off to dinner, but this can often lead to conflicts w/ scheduling to attend certain entertainment venues. Many times we've found ourselves skipping dessert, so that we could make a show/lounge act in time to grab a decent seat. Feeling rushed puts a damper on what ought to otherwise be a somewhat relaxing dining experience.

I estimate that 'dealing with the MDR' can mean a few different things.

Dining in the MDR can be a longer affair -- a minimum of at least 1 hour, often well into 1 1/2-2 hours. It also requires dressing up a little(beyond casual wear).

When sailing a tropical itinerary, sometimes the DW doesn't feel like dealing with her hair - which can get a little frazzled after a day under the sun, on the beach and in the water. Sometimes, I simply don't feel like throwing on some pants, socks and shoes on a warm tropical evening. It's these evenings that we often find ourselves in the HC for a casual meal.

When attending the MDR(anytime), we choose to dine alone -- if immediately available. However, arriving at peak dining times, often being able to be seated with very little(or no) waiting times, we usually opt to dine at shared tables(as opposed to tables for two - which are about the same as shared table dining anyhow-- As the banks of (couples)tables are placed so close to eachother:rolleyes:, and they're usually served on similar timelines).

We also usually enjoy sharing tables with fellow passengers, as most often the table conversations may be pleasant and engaging. Being port-active cruisers, sometimes we are wiped out after intensive port days. On those days, we may not be in the mood for table-conversations with strangers, and may not want to appear rude as the silent/tired-looking ones at a talkative table.

Even on days when we aren't wiped out, after a long day in port, it's nice to be able to relax a little bit before heading off to dinner, but this can often lead to conflicts w/ scheduling to attend certain entertainment venues. Many times we've found ourselves skipping dessert, so that we could make a show/lounge act in time to grab a decent seat. Feeling rushed puts a damper on what ought to otherwise be a somewhat relaxing dining experience.

Wow, my exact thoughts on MDR dining. Skai put forth very good reasons for skipping ("not dealing with") the MDR. I think that night it was reason number four - too tired and not in the mood for a lengthy dinner and conversation. We usually eat at Anytime Dining 4-5 nights on a 7 day cruise with 1-2 nights at Crown Grill, Sabatini's, and now the Salty Dog.