Salty Dog Pub

Host CJSKIDS

I've seen mention of the new Salty Dog Pub and really looking forward to trying it in March on the Emerald.

Is it like the Crown Grill in the fact that you have to make reservations? Or like the Pub lunch where you just show up even though you are paying to be there?

It's like the Pub lunch where you just show up. On the Ruby Princess, it was held in the Wheelhouse Bar. I looked at the menu and nothing appealed to me or DH to warrant us to try it. The seating was at a small round tables and the chairs were bar stools. Didn't look that comfortable to me.

No reports that reservations were needed or even taken. But one thread reported that they were getting so few diners that the servers at Salty Dog were grabbing passersby and inviting them in for free.

We made reservations (Emerald December 20155) but I would not recommend eating there. There was no taste to the food. I was so disappointed.

The food subpar the dining room and for $6 you would have a much better meal at Crown Grill.

I was just in the Salty Dog two nights ago on Crown Princess. Pretentious food that was not satisfying at all. I should rather have gone to the Horizon Court buffet.

In fact, I went up and got pizza afterwards. The pizza was great.

We ate at the Salty Dog on the Crown in December and really enjoyed it. It was just my DH and I and I will say the service was a little slow but the waiter was terrific and kept apologizing. Also because it is in the Wheelhouse Bar the music was too loud to carry on a conversation at times, but the food was good. Very different but more food than either of us could eat. We were so full we couldn't even try the dessert. Not something that I would have on every cruise but glad we tried it and will have it again if they keep it.

We tried in on the Crown in December, and were NOT impressed.

No reservations needed. Just show up and look at the menu, see if it appeals to you. If you like the menu, give it a shot and let us know if you like the experience.

Thanks for the responses. I've read great reports and not great reports.

I don't mind the high chairs or tables, I enjoy bar tables so that's all good.

I personally thought that the menu looked very interesting and enjoy gastro pubs so will check it out while on board and decide what we will do.

We love Crown Grill and usually eat there twice during a sailing. I was just going to add something different.

Thanks again for the info.

I personally thought that the menu looked very interesting and enjoy gastro pubs so will check it out while on board and decide what we will do.

Well, I was of the same opinion but reading this thread I wasn't at all happy to hear about the loud music. I wonder if it would be quieter if you ate earlier?

I want to try it on our next cruise. I just wish it was a pub lunch type thing. I will be really disappointed if I don't like the food and I wasted a night I could go to the Crown Grill or MDR.

That's what I felt; that we wasted a whole evening on a poor dinner.

The Salty Dog opened at 6:15 the night we went. We arrived for our 6:30 reservation and the loud music was already playing. Later it switched to a guitarist/singer which was more pleasant.

Is it on all ships?

Also, I looked at the menu on Princess' website, and it said to select three plates. Is that three per person, or does everyone at the table share them?

Yes, each person selects any 3 items on their menu, plus a shared appetizer and fries with your meal and a dessert. My DH and I each ordered 3 different items and then we shared all 6. Some were better than others but still very good and way too much food for us. We knew the Food & Beverage Manager on board at the time and he asked our opinion of the meal. I suggested to him and also on our Princess post cruise survey that they may also try a choice of 3 items for $19 and 2 for perhaps $14/15 for those who can't eat that much food. I think this meal is worth trying once. I do wish they had another venue to serve it in. The Wheelhouse Bar is a great place for drinks/dancing/listening to music or just quiet conversation. Or perhaps if they only did this once or twice on a cruise similar to the Crab Shack and then not schedule other activities in the Wheelhouse Bar.

Or perhaps if they only did this once or twice on a cruise similar to the Crab Shack and then not schedule other activities in the Wheelhouse Bar.

Since they completely changed the decor and the furniture in Wheelhouse for this, I don't think it's a once in awhile thing. I've been on the Crown twice since they changed, and the second time, I saw they had removed even more of the lower upholstered chairs and small tables and replaced them with tall hard benches and plastic-topped tables. The venue was not full of diners any time I passed it in the evening, and the folk sitting and listening to the music or dancing have been squeezed into a small corner of the place. I estimate that at least 3/4 of the lounge area has been given over to the fast-food-type tables.

The tables on the Ruby are much more attractive than the ones pictured from the Crown. I was quite pleased to see that. I thought the ones in the Crown were downright tacky.

Flavors and preparations were solid, but honestly felt like the portions were a little off. The braised short rib plate had two pieces of rib, each 1x1x2", or about the size of my thumb. Since I can't eat crustaceans, thus eliminating the crab cake and lobster Mac and Cheese, I'm either facing the poutine (already had fries as an app), the pork cheek (similarly two-bite) or the burger for heartier options. It feels like the menu is well-sized to be two-selections-plus-the-burger-or-pasta, but needs a little work to be a truly grazeable small plate.

I thought the lemon posset dessert was terrific - lemon and dairy can have a contentious relationship (acid + milk = ricotta), but this was simultaneously rich and refreshing.

We sat at the tables immediately adjacent to the bar - which was a mistake. If we do it again, we would ask to be seated in the aftmost area, to get a bit more buffer from both the band and from the other guests streaming through. It was particularly grim after the show let out and guests exiting the port side of the theatre came through the Wheelhouse.

In a perfect world, I would have made the dining area the forward starboard section just as you came in the door to mitigate the traffic issue and encourage the art of dinner conversation a deux.

We had a good experience on the Emerald. No loud music, just piano. Thought the food was good, my wife thought the donut fritter dessert was awesome. She asked if she could stop by later in the cruise just for another donut (which she did). Thought the staff was great. Is it worth $40 for 2, I think for a one time try it is. Would we go back, probably not, we would eat at the crown agsin. Maybe $20 per couple would be much more attractive and I would definitely go back at that $.

Aloha Kakou,

I just thought I'd put in my $0.02 here on the Salty Dog. Many of you know that Leialoha and I have been on the Ruby for the last few Hawaiian cruises, and one of the highlights for us has been the addition of the Salty Dog. We tried it on the first post-dry dock cruise and just last cruise went twice.

I think that you actually get a good value for $19...as the portions look small, but are actually quite generous. The Ernesto Burger is crazy tasty...with some really unusual flavoring. The dips that come with the various dishes are really great, and found the variety of dishes pretty good. My personal favorites are the short rib poutine and the lobster mac and cheese.

The atmosphere in the Wheelhouse is quite nice, as the current duo that plays for the dining is a wonderful mix of latin and ballroom styles, performed on nylon string guitar with a very smooth groove to it. Points to the programming...it makes for a relaxing and enjoyable experience.

We have been with Princess now for almost 11 years, and I have to say, to me, this has been my favorite addition as far as specialty restaurants go. The service was top notch, and they have some unusual beverages to pair things with.

I know this might be for everyone, but personally speaking, I think this is well worth checking out.

Aloha No,

Tiki Dave

(of Elua)

http://www.facebook.com/eluamusic

http://www.facebook.com/tikidavemusic

Aloha Kakou,

I just thought I'd put in my $0.02 here on the Salty Dog. Many of you know that Leialoha and I have been on the Ruby for the last few Hawaiian cruises, and one of the highlights for us has been the addition of the Salty Dog. We tried it on the first post-dry dock cruise and just last cruise went twice.

I think that you actually get a good value for $19...as the portions look small, but are actually quite generous. The Ernesto Burger is crazy tasty...with some really unusual flavoring. The dips that come with the various dishes are really great, and found the variety of dishes pretty good. My personal favorites are the short rib poutine and the lobster mac and cheese.

The atmosphere in the Wheelhouse is quite nice, as the current duo that plays for the dining is a wonderful mix of latin and ballroom styles, performed on nylon string guitar with a very smooth groove to it. Points to the programming...it makes for a relaxing and enjoyable experience.

We have been with Princess now for almost 11 years, and I have to say, to me, this has been my favorite addition as far as specialty restaurants go. The service was top notch, and they have some unusual beverages to pair things with.

I know this might be for everyone, but personally speaking, I think this is well worth checking out.

Aloha No,

Tiki Dave

(of Elua)

Great info Dave! Thanks for chiming in. :)

Aloha Kakou,

Aloha No,

Tiki Dave

(of Elua)

Thank you! Burgers are my favorite so we will have to give it a try.

Aloha Kakou,

Aloha No,

Tiki Dave

(of Elua)

Up until your input I would have totally passed on this venue. But, once I read Poutine I am in. Thanks Dave!

We so enjoyed you guys on the Grand last year over Christmas. Safe travels.

Aloha Kakou,

Aloha No,

Tiki Dave

(of Elua)

Thanks for you input , I like to hear from all sides. We are not new to cruising but this will be our first Princess Cruise and is has been fun searching out all the new things she has to offer. This being one of them. We normally don't go for these type of things but this one does look different and fun may give it a try, Thanks again for your detailed input . :)

Aloha Kakou,

Aloha No,

Tiki Dave

(of Elua)

Thanks for the positive opinion Dave.

We are vegetarians so the food, while sounding interesting, doesn't work for us.

HOWEVER, the new drink choices do!

Can you just go in and order a drink?