Coffee Served on Princess in 2016

bbgran190

It has been a few years since we have sailed on Princess. At the time the coffee was made from syrup. To get better tasting coffee, we had to buy a coffee card - not for the specialty coffees - just good brewed coffee. Can anyone update me on the quality of the coffee served in 2016?

What ship? From what I understand on the Royal and Regal they now serve fresh brewed in the MDRs and in Horizon Court.

On all the other ships, however, the coffee card is still a necessity to get a decent cup of coffee.

Fresh brewed/DR/HC......Princess coffee has always been good for us.

You've been getting fresh brewed coffee in the Dining Room and Horizon Court? Really? In my experience, typically (Regal and Royal perhaps an exception) you had to go yourself and get it and use a coffee card you pay for. Do I understand your post correctly?

We have been on several different Princess ships and the Royal and Regal are the only one's that have ground coffee in the buffet area the other ships have the syrup.We always purchase a coffee card when we sail but found we did not use it as much on Royal or Regal because they have ground coffee machines at the buffet

I hope this helped.

You've been getting fresh brewed coffee in the Dining Room and Horizon Court? Really? In my experience, typically (Regal and Royal perhaps an exception) you had to go yourself and get it and use a coffee card you pay for. Do I understand your post correctly?

No, I was saying anywhere we get it and whatever it is is fine with us.

On Regal and Royal only, the dispensers in the lido make coffee with

ground coffee, not syrup.

I don't know about the dining rooms.

As far as the DR, coffee isn't as great or same as the ground coffee served in the IC on Royal/Regal. I never tried the HC coffee because I assumed it tastes same however I saw them dumping a big bag of grounds into the bin. I enjoy the espresso punches so always get a card and then use that for brewed at IC.

There have been reports that the grade of concentrate has changed, for the better, so you might want to try the HC coffee before buying the coffee card.

We just got off the Grand last week and I swear the room service coffee has improved. We only ordered it a couple of times when we had early tours but it does taste better than previous cruises. I think the rumors may be correct.

On past cruises I've settled on the coffee served in the buffet and MDR, "as is". I think the next time I'll get the card so I can get the good stuff:); plus I'm going to try the lattes, etc, at the IC. If that's at least decent, I'll easily go through the entire card before the cruise is over - that is if they punch my card every time I get a hot drink. At home I'm used to Starbux every morning, either at my local coffee shoppe, or at home using my Keurig. Not to worry, no matter how "decent" it is, i won't get the ship's coffee mistaken for Starbux.:D.

Edited by Treven

There have been reports that the grade of concentrate has changed, for the better, so you might want to try the HC coffee before buying the coffee card.

Hopefully so but I wish that during drydock they'd replace the coffee from concentrated coffee makers with the filtered coffee made from ground coffee machines on the Royal & Regal.

Just goes to show you, everyone has different tastes/views.

On our Regal cruise the coffee was good in the HC/DR. :rolleyes:

It's also good for me but I still prefer my 100% Kona coffee beans to grind & brew at home. :)

I'm sure that someone will post that is "terrible" but taste is subjective & the only coffee that I might describe as "terrible" was the industrial strength coffee served in the Navy. :p

Edited by Astro Flyer

We just got off the Grand last week and I swear the room service coffee has improved. We only ordered it a couple of times when we had early tours but it does taste better than previous cruises. I think the rumors may be correct.

It doesn't hurt to find out, we're not coffee snobs, but we still like a good cup.