Princess Formal Night

RedHeadTexan

Sorry, but I have no idea why you brought Porthopper into this.

Porthopper got all upset and left when someone asked a question again about what to wear for a specific night. This new person, Lakesregion, and the rant about not knowing what formal was, make me think about Porthopper's virtual meltdown on the forum… didn't bring her into it, the conversation reminded me of her. Just an example of how some have gone "over the deep end" on something as how "informal" one can be at the "formal" dinner.

Porthopper got all upset and left when someone asked a question again about what to wear for a specific night. This new person, Lakesregion, and the rant about not knowing what formal was, make me think about Porthopper's virtual meltdown on the forum… didn't bring her into it, the conversation reminded me of her. Just an example of how some have gone "over the deep end" on something as how "informal" one can be at the "formal" dinner.

Can't help with of what you're reminded but there is no comparison between the two. You just don't know or understand Miss PH. ;) Lakesregion is another story with her unbending, by the book, bespoke formal and casual clothing.:D

Never took you for a troll but then again . In as much as you have never seen Downton Abbey and seem drawn to the seamier side of life shows, I guess you are not the person to answer my question. But thanks for making the effort.

Anyone with some experience in the better side of life care to take a crack at the answer? If not I shall slip away and leave the questions of attire alone.

Ok, so then you look down on people who wear ball gowns for black tie or people who watch NCIS? :cool:

I can't answer your question either, as never having seen even one minute of Downton Abbey. I just barely noticed it's Downton and not Downtown.

The beige suit will be just fine, especially in the Caribbean. Take a good picture of your smiling faces & come back & post it here.

I've been to (& organized) many, many true formal affairs & advised young (& not so young) military members on appropriate civilian attire for different functions as a protocol officer for 30 years. I even have charts [emoji6].

The beige suit will be just fine, especially in the Caribbean. Take a good picture of your smiling faces & come back & post it here.

I've been to (& organized) many, many true formal affairs & advised young (& not so young) military members on appropriate civilian attire for different functions as a protocol officer for 30 years. I even have charts [emoji6].

Thank you! :) Walt has joked about getting a Panama Suit for the canal trip. :eek:

Lisa

My...my...my, how nice of you to mention my name on Lisa's thread. What a melt down I had. I guess your doctorate in medicine give you special insight into human behavior. My six year old gandson has a huge imagination. The other day he told me he saw a giant snake; his mother told me it was just a baby garden snake.

Back to fashion subject, if my six year old grandson asks me what is formal I might have to answer him.

have a nice day

Edited by Porthopper101

Totally agree.

Lisa, Walt would look dashing in the beige suit.

xoxo

M

Thanks. If he sticks with the light suit, then I will bring my gold sequined cocktail dress with the dolman sleeves. It will coordinate nicely with a light suit. :)

Lisa

Your gold sequined dress will look wonderful next to his suit. I love it when couples coordinate their outfits.

Although no one will complain, I don't consider a beige suit formal.

It's not, but he'll fit in fine with the many, many passengers who are also not dressed in true formal attire.

Since most passengers totally ignore the guidelines cruise lines such as princess put forward, you will find a mix. But I was just wondering what part of Tuxedo or Dark suit you did not understand. A beige suit would be fine for luncheon but never for a real formal evening.

Oh for crying out loud. She understood it, but was more or less asking if everyone really follows that strictly and the answer is no they do not. The cruise lines may call it "formal night" but those nights haven't been true formal evenings in a very long time.

And while I do not look down on those who care to ignore the word formal evening, I find it does take away from my enjoyment .....It either works in total or it does not work at all. I find a fine evening calls for a total atmosphere of elegance not just here and there.

It sure sounds like you DO look down on those who don't dress in true formal wear. :rolleyes:

RedHeadedTexan - your hubby will be handsome in his suit. Enjoy the cruise. Next time you get an invitation to a formal event on land, THEN make him bring out the tux ;)

Life is too short to worry about such trivial things as what to wear to not "offend" others.

Edited by slidergirl

RedHeadedTexan

I found this of ehow. He will look great!

Tropical Formal Attire for Men

Tropical formal attire for a man can mean a few things. Formal attire doesn't meant that a tuxedo is required and generally refers to a suit, or even slacks and a sport coat and tie. Suits in the tropics can be lighter in color and weight, for example, a light grey linen suit is acceptable for a tropical formal event. Other materials for mens suits in these locales are seersucker, cotton and lightweight wools. Suits can look and feel lighter when they're light colors, so pastel blue, grey and khaki colors are ideal for wear in the tropics. Alternatively, if you're looking to venture away from a suit - solid slacks, a button-up shirt, tie and sport coat can be worn to a formal event. Depending on the event and the venue, one can gauge whether a suit or separates ensemble will best suffice

My...my...my, how nice of you to mention my name on Lisa's thread. What a melt down I had. I guess your doctorate in medicine give you special insight into human behavior. My six year old gandson has a huge imagination. The other day he told me he saw a giant snake; his mother told me it was just a baby garden snake.

Back to fashion subject, if my six year old grandson asks me what is formal I might have to answer him.

have a nice day

I was just using what you yourself said on the recycle thread regarding meltdown…

We had such a nice few weeks on this board with good conversations and helpful advice. I am sad to see it digress again. Tattletales, self-appointed fashion mavens, newbies wanting to fit in are dismissed and treated rudely; reminds me of Mean Girls and high school.

I'm thinking of taking a last-minute cruise out of San Juan after a work assignment there in 2 months. I'll have all business suits with me for that part, as they are required and when working 10-12 hours/day, I'll just dive into shorts/running skirts and a Tshirt to relax when not working. Do I need to bring a special outfit to wear for chic night (X) or Elegant night (Carnival)? I do not want to be underdressed so not to offend the mavens and masters...

Slidergirl stick a LBD in with your shorts. You'll be fine

I always have that in my bag. It also doubles as part of a "suit" for work - the LBTD (aka Little Black Tshirt Dress) and one of my black suit jackets.

But, it also means I have to bring a third pair of shoes; my work shoes are black Dansko Professional XL clogs and then my Salomon trail runners. I stand on my feet all day on hard surfaces, so for my bad ankle, the clogs are a must-have. Flats don't work with my orthotics and I can't do heels. Sigh. Packing for combo work/fun trips are a pain. I won't know until the end of March how long I go for work - it can be anywhere from 3 weeks to 9 weeks...

:confused:

Do I need to bring a special outfit to wear for chic night (X) or Elegant night (Carnival)? I do not want to be underdressed so not to offend the mavens and masters...

Life is too short to worry about such trivial things as what to wear to not "offend" others.

I think the suit sounds fine. With luggage restrictions & the other hassles of plane travel, its getting more difficult to pack a full suit (much less a suit & a tux) so, while I understand some love formal night, I appreciate a more relaxed atmosphere for evening dining attire.

Re: Downton Abbey. I do love the fashions (& the realistic nature in which everyone dresses. Even the main cast repeats outfits several times a season) but the story is the most important thing. The difference in social conventions and courting and other activities is interesting. The foreshadowing is great as well. We all knew that when Ediths beloved went missing in Germany that it would not end well because of the time frame (in between WWI & WWII).

But I also love 'Call the Midwife' & no one could mistake that show for a fashion lovers dream. Its all about the story.