Review Celebrity Eclipse Jan. 10-24, 2016

ROWSE

We had wanted to check out the Bocce Ball, and of course put it off till today. Now it was so windy and cool, but we tried it anyway. I think one of us scored higher because the wind blew HIS ball closer.

IMG_2855.jpg

Wow- that grass is a disaster zone!!

"Greenskeeper to the bridge..."

Silhouette grass in great shape by comparison.

Norris

IMG_2871.jpg

IMG_2872.jpg

After having some breakfast and making sure we had everything, we headed to Celebrity Central. A desk was outside that venue with crew checking you in and giving you the proper sticker for your tour. We were told to immediately head off the ship and collect our luggage.

The checkout of the ship was fast and the luggage is set on an airport type conveyor belt that sends it round and round. I thought that was going to be trouble at first, but my hubby found the luggage within 5 minutes so not that bad. This was the first time we had experienced anything other than luggage lined up in masses with your color tags in a warehouse area.

Customs was the quickest we have ever experienced. One quick question and we were out. There was no real direction out there of where to go other than just asking and being sent to a bus area. Then asking someone else and finally getting to the proper bus.

The bus was very very nice and our tour guide was the bus dispatcher for all the bus tours, so he was busy, busy, busy, when we first met him. His name was Jay and he did a great job. We sat on the bus for an hour before it actually left. Others told me they had been on there two. Wow, not sure how that happened to them when meeting time was 7:45.

IMG_2877.jpg

We finally left at approximately 9:00. We were blocked from downtown Miami from Marathon events, which is where the usual tour goes, so we took the underwater tunnel. That was very interesting. Once out on the other side we saw some walker/runners from the Marathon.

IMG_2875.jpg

This was a last look as we sped away of our home for 14 days, The magnificent Eclipse.

IMG_2876.jpg

Along the way tour guide Jay explained some of the sites we were seeing.

Here is the Miami Marlin Baseball Stadium

IMG_2880.jpg

Our bus driver was Jeff and we learned he was the spotter extraordinaire of spotting alligators on the banks of the everglades as we drove to the tour

place. We saw 3 from the tour bus. Poor things are cold blooded and they were in search of any kind of sun and warmth as it was in the low 40's. The sun was out bright this day at least.

Everyone tried to put on all the warmer type clothing we had as we realized the wind chill on that air-boat was going to be fierce. The name of the place we went to was Gator Park.

After a quick bathroom stop, we were on our air boat. The driver is dressed for the weather.

IMG_2881.jpg

IMG_2882.jpg

It was so fun speeding through the saw grass and almost spinning a brodie. Very cold though when the spray would hit up at me.

There is a little turtle in this picture.

IMG_2886.jpg

The ferns actually grow out of the trees.

IMG_2887.jpg

IMG_2888.jpg

IMG_2889.jpg

We saw lovely white birds. Egrets or cranes, I can't remember.

IMG_2890.jpg

There is another really interesting bird in the center of the following picture.

IMG_2891.jpg

We only spot one alligator on the tour itself.

IMG_2893.jpg

IMG_2894.jpg

IMG_2895.jpg

There was a little show that we also attended.

Here is a teeny tiny alligator.

IMG_2903.jpg

They have an area to walk around to view penned alligators.

Here were the little ones. They were also trying to stay warm.

IMG_2905.jpg

IMG_2906.jpg

I found a couple friends.

IMG_2907.jpg

This was an okay tour, and probably not something I would do again, but it passed the time before our 6:15p.m. flight on Southwest. We took everyone going out of Miami Airport there first, and then we were on our way to Fort Lauderdale. We very much enjoyed visiting with Jay and hearing about his life in Miami.

It was really time to leave. BOO HOO!

IMG_2874.jpg

Even with a tour, we were so early to FLL we were not able to go up to the gates. We were at least happy to learn we could go down to floor 1 and check our luggage early so we didn't have to keep that with us.

That area had stacks of luggage on racks after they took it from you.

Sort of reminded me of the porters at the cruise dock.

At 3 hours before our flight we were able to go through security and to the gate area. Southwest area at Fort Lauderdale leaves a lot to be desired food wise. After all the amazing meals we had had in the last two weeks this was quite a slap of reality.

Our flight to Denver was on time and packed. Our flight from Denver to Spokane was an hour delayed, and we did not get back home till 1:00 a.m. Pacific Standard time, which is 4:00a.m. from what we were use to, so you can imagine how tired we were.

This is the end of our journey ladies and gentlemen, and I thank you all for coming along for the ride. I may have said it once or twice, but it bears repeating; this was the best cruise ever!!!

In order to not be plunged in the depths of despair, I usually have another cruise booked and this is no exception. We will be sailing on the Royal Princess on January 19, 2017.

I set my countdown board to this for when we got home.

IMG_2072.jpg

I sincerely wish all of you with upcoming Eclipse cruises, as amazing an adventure as we had!

Edited by ROWSE

I sincerely wish all of you with upcoming Eclipse cruises, as amazing an adventure as we had!

Thank you for a great review I am on the cruise departing 06.03.16 and my very good friend Chelseadon is on the one before leaving on 21.02.016 they get off as we get on Ha Ha.

If our cruise is half as good as yours we have a great time. Was pleased you enjoyed Jane Curry we saw her in 2014 on Baltic cruise she is great she did a 13:30 show full to the brim.

Thank you for a great review I am on the cruise departing 06.03.16 and my very good friend Chelseadon is on the one before leaving on 21.02.016 they get off as we get on Ha Ha.

If our cruise is half as good as yours we have a great time. Was pleased you enjoyed Jane Curry we saw her in 2014 on Baltic cruise she is great she did a 13:30 show full to the brim.

Thank you for that link, she really was fantastic and such fun interaction with her coming out into the audience too. I hope she will be on your cruise!

We had wanted to check out the Bocce Ball, and of course put it off till today. Now it was so windy and cool, but we tried it anyway. I think one of us scored higher because the wind blew HIS ball closer.

IMG_2855.jpg

Wow- that grass is a disaster zone!!

"Greenskeeper to the bridge..."

Silhouette grass in great shape by comparison.

Norris

Norris,

Glad to hear your grass was geener, but you know what they say the grass in always greener on the other side....or on the other cruise ships I guess.

I am thinking maybe somebody poured one to many Mudslides on it.

Even with a tour, we were so early to FLL we were not able to go up to the gates. We were at least happy to learn we could go down to floor 1 and check our luggage early so we didn't have to keep that with us.

That area had stacks of luggage on racks after they took it from you.

Sort of reminded me of the porters at the cruise dock.

At 3 hours before our flight we were able to go through security and to the gate area. Southwest area at Fort Lauderdale leaves a lot to be desired food wise. After all the amazing meals we had had in the last two weeks this was quite a slap of reality.

Our flight to Denver was on time and packed. Our flight from Denver to Spokane was an hour delayed, and we did not get back home till 1:00 a.m. Pacific Standard time, which is 4:00a.m. from what we were use to, so you can imagine how tired we were.

This is the end of our journey ladies and gentlemen, and I thank you all for coming along for the ride. I may have said it once or twice, but it bears repeating; this was the best cruise ever!!!

In order to not be plunged in the depths of despair, I usually have another cruise booked and this is no exception. We will be sailing on the Royal Princess on January 19, 2017.

I set my countdown board to this for when we got home.

IMG_2072.jpg

Many thanks for your review and great pictures! We also have a late flight out of FLL (7pm)---I'm happy to hear that we can at least check our luggage early! :)

Jim & Kitty,

It was such a pleasure reading your review and seeing your pics. Really made us anxious for our Mar. 6th departure. I think the Eclipse has an excellent crew and they do a fabulous job. We saw Topper and Rock City (or maybe it was Rock On???) when we were onboard in January and they were both fabulous. Hope they still have them next month as we'd love to see these shows again.

If y'all have time for another cruise this year, we'll be onboard the Eclipse December 11th. Would love to see you again. We're cruising with friends who are lots of fun. The more, the merrier. We all love trivia! We might could win several times :).

Many thanks for your review and great pictures! We also have a late flight out of FLL (7pm)---I'm happy to hear that we can at least check our luggage early! :)

I'm sorry your flight is so late too. I think that they will take luggage 5 hours or less before your flight. The other choice home for us was at 11 am and with having to come to FLL from Miami, and disembarkation being rather unpredictable, we didn't want to chance it.

Jim & Kitty,

It was such a pleasure reading your review and seeing your pics. Really made us anxious for our Mar. 6th departure. I think the Eclipse has an excellent crew and they do a fabulous job. We saw Topper and Rock City (or maybe it was Rock On???) when we were onboard in January and they were both fabulous. Hope they still have them next month as we'd love to see these shows again.

If y'all have time for another cruise this year, we'll be onboard the Eclipse December 11th. Would love to see you again. We're cruising with friends who are lots of fun. The more, the merrier. We all love trivia! We might could win several times :).

Bev and Jim,

Thank you for the praise, that is so nice of you! Thanks for the Dec. 11 invite, but booked for that Jan. 2017, and have to spread our cruises out, Jim's boss says so. :)

Hope you have a great cruise this March and then again in December!

Rowse,

Your review of your two week cruise on the Eclipse was informative, interesting, and entertaining. Thank you.

The excursions you guys take are certainly of the active type. My wife and I do more of the "laying around on the netting of catamarans" activity, and just watch the world go by. We are on the April 3rd sailing of the Eclipse.

One question. Throughout your review, you made no mention of the party or house band on board. That is, who were they, where were they from, and were they any good?

Just curious.

Rowse,

Your review of your two week cruise on the Eclipse was informative, interesting, and entertaining. Thank you.

The excursions you guys take are certainly of the active type. My wife and I do more of the "laying around on the netting of catamarans" activity, and just watch the world go by. We are on the April 3rd sailing of the Eclipse.

One question. Throughout your review, you made no mention of the party or house band on board. That is, who were they, where were they from, and were they any good?

Just curious.

Hello mamadpapad and welcome!

The band that played with all entertainers and some other venues were fantastic. They alone deserve a standing ovation.

The other venue music was the Bella River Duo, who we thought were very good. We only heard the Sea Breeze Duo, which was the Classical Strings duo, in passing but they sounded good. The other one listed, and I truly never ever saw them, was the Identico Quartet. Just never in the same place at the same time I guess. If anyone that was on this cruise heard them and would like to review them, please do so.

Hope you have smooth catamaran sailings on your April 3 cruise. We also love the catamarans, but didn't partake this time.

Your pictures and details about the Everglades Tour is very helpful. We are on the Eclipse in December with a late flight out of FLL. We were considering the Everglades tour to fill in the time, but now we will plan something else.

Really enjoyed reading your informative review.

Your pictures and details about the Everglades Tour is very helpful. We are on the Eclipse in December with a late flight out of FLL. We were considering the Everglades tour to fill in the time, but now we will plan something else.

Really enjoyed reading your informative review.

Thank you for reading along loves2read!

I hope you find something else to fill that time, as it is really hard to have those late flights!

• 3 weeks later...
So enjoyed your review. We have sailed on Eclipse twice and will be doing our first TA in March on Eclipse.

Ann

Thank you so much traveler44!

What a great ship to be on for a TA, have a wonderful trip!