Amsterdam tender hits reef in the Cook Island

Far from the truth and certainly not what I have seen. Sophisticated, well travelled and all ages is what I found. If you want old , Princess Australia beats them hands down.

I do agree though that those who had to jump out of the tender and wade ashore would not be ...shall we say ..athletic., but that would apply to just about all cruisers.

Agreed, although some are quite athletic as they are really good at queue jumping.:p

From reading the two Amsterdam blogs people left belongings behind on the tender if they elected to wade ashore. There would have been no reason for anyone to get anything wet unless they chose to take the risk.

Regarding HAL being retirement homes at sea - we've tried quite a few lines now (just got Pacific Aria) and although the average age on our Rotterdam cruise was older they were worldy and interesting. Princess average was just as old and far less worldly.

So, so different to the bogans we encountered on our Sun Princess (yep, old people and bogans :)) and Aria cruises - no hideous line dancing by the pool, thongs and t-shirts in the dining room.

Each to their own...

From reading the two Amsterdam blogs people left belongings behind on the tender if they elected to wade ashore. There would have been no reason for anyone to get anything wet unless they chose to take the risk.

Regarding HAL being retirement homes at sea - we've tried quite a few lines now (just got Pacific Aria) and although the average age on our Rotterdam cruise was older they were worldy and interesting. Princess average was just as old and far less worldly.

So, so different to the bogans we encountered on our Sun Princess (yep, old people and bogans :)) and Aria cruises - no hideous line dancing by the pool, thongs and t-shirts in the dining room.

Each to their own...

They could at least wear pants.:eek:

Each to their own...

Old people and Bogans, I like the combo. But you get some of those on most cruises, irrespective of the Line.

Getting back HAL, I believe in the USA the super dinosaurs are more prominent on the HAL ships. No I have not cruised HAL, but been to many ports in the world where I have seen HAL ships and their cargo, inc USA/Canada, South America, Europe/The Med. etc, etc.

Edited by NSWP

They could at least wear pants.:eek:

And undies, not those 'thong' things, oh you mean 'flip flops' or Chinese safety boots? newfarmers LOL.

When you mention 'Thongs' to people from overseas they get embarrassed. If you know what I mean.

And undies, not those 'thong' things, oh you mean 'flip flops' or Chinese safety boots? newfarmers LOL.

When you mention 'Thongs' to people from overseas they get embarrassed. If you know what I mean.

Yep, that is why you should always use the term with Americans, you get the best reactions.:cool:

The things most likely to be damaged are things like electronics, including phones, that people would also probably not want to take the risk of leaving behind. Stuff gets lost, or may be damaged by poor handling so leaving it onboard also presents a risk, and some may have wanted things on hand like cameras and phones as well. So it's quite a reasonable expectation for people to take things with them - and not that they're just "taking a risk" by doing so.

The things most likely to be damaged are things like electronics, including phones, that people would also probably not want to take the risk of leaving behind. Stuff gets lost, or may be damaged by poor handling so leaving it onboard also presents a risk, and some may have wanted things on hand like cameras and phones as well. So it's quite a reasonable expectation for people to take things with them - and not that they're just "taking a risk" by doing so.

Possibly on a P&O/Princess/RCL/Carnival/Celebrity Pacific seven day cruise people wouldn't 'risk leaving things behind' because they might get 'lost' but this is a world cruise where many are repeat guests and the crew are hand-picked.

I also understand people might 'want' to take camera/phone with them - I've been to Raro twice and I know how beautiful it is - but if they are advised not to then it is at 'their own risk'. Just like wearing a fancy watch in some parts of Europe or South America.