Caribbean in June?!

alliecat44

So, we cruised for the first time in November and loved it. We're currently looking at finding another excuse to cruise (!) and our anniversary is coming up June 23. As south Florida residents, the Caribbean is the cheapest (and easiest from a logistics perspective).

However, we are having serious concerns about booking...worried the oppressive heat will keep us indoors the whole time, hurricane season, etc.

Does anyone have any advice/experience/words of wisdom? We are mainly eat/drink/be merry types, not looking to do strenuous shore excursions, if that helps.

Many thanks to all the experts here! Happy sailing!! :)

We have cruised in June a few times. Yes it is very hot, but we are from central Florida so are pretty used to it. It didn't seem any worse than that to us. That being said we did a long walking tour of both the forts in San Juan and thought my wife was going to die. Guess I'm saying we are fine as long as we don't over do it. And indoors can be a cabana or bar so not always a bad thing.

The ports will be hotter (by perhaps a couple of degrees) and a touch more humid than in the winter months - but as a practical matter not really very different than during the rest of the year. While June is technically hurricane season, they are extremely rare that early in the season.

Go with it, and enjoy.

Being from the Houston area I have never thought the Caribbean was any hotter than home. We have cruised several times in June and except for having to watch more closely for sunburn we love it. The only down sides I see is the cost and the kids. It costs about double what the same cruise costs in November or February, at least it does going out of Texas. If shore activities aren't that important to you a hurricane will have no impact since the captain will just divert the ship around any trouble. You might miss a port but so what. As for being indoors, afternoon naps are part of my event schedule. What's not to like. By the way, your anniversary is my birthday. Have fun!

Many of the sailings out of Jacksonville and Port Canaveral are to the Bahamas - not too much farther south than Florida. Miami has Bahamas departures also. The 3-4 day cruises can have a heavy "booze factor" but we found enough quiet places on our little getaway to make it worthwhile.

Carnival has 5 night Western Caribbean sailings from Tampa with more sea days than port days. Almost always cooler on the water.

We've sailed it in June.

Downside is heat, humidity and usually daily thunderstorms.

A cruise to consider that time of year is Bermuda or Alaska.

Keith

I live in Clearwater/Tampa area, Tampa is the lightening capital of the world, heat and humidity, we've got that too.

But I am the one that never complains about heat am outside all summer long and I love it! Give me 40 degrees and I feel like I am in the South Pole!

South Florida definitely gets pretty toasty in June, though it makes sense that it's cooler on the water. :) Thanks for all the insight and experiences, guys! Nice to know we're not crazy for considering it, but will have to do a lot of thinking. :)

We have done Caribbean cruises in June, July and August. Yes, it is hot and humid. We don't do really long excursions in the summer because they can really sap energy. There are seldom full-blown hurricanes in early June. There are often quick afternoon thunderstorms.

I enjoy cruising any time of the year. The key in a Caribbean summer cruise is to pace oneself, take it easy, stay hydrated and don't get overambitious on activities. Better have mosquito spray too. Those critters are worse in the summer.

So, we cruised for the first time in November and loved it. We're currently looking at finding another excuse to cruise (!) and our anniversary is coming up June 23. As south Florida residents, the Caribbean is the cheapest (and easiest from a logistics perspective).

However, we are having serious concerns about booking...worried the oppressive heat will keep us indoors the whole time, hurricane season, etc.

Does anyone have any advice/experience/words of wisdom? We are mainly eat/drink/be merry types, not looking to do strenuous shore excursions, if that helps.

Many thanks to all the experts here! Happy sailing!! :)

June is time to head to the left coast. Humidity? What's that?

You live in south Florida, so you should know what to expect weather-wise. There are a few ships that sail year-round from Miami, the Norwegian Getaway being one, and if I were you, I would aim for early June (celebrate the anniversary early) to avoid too many crowds and kids. Have you thought perhaps of going to the Keys or maybe St Augustine, Savannah, or Charleston on a land-based vacation instead? Or, if you have it in your budget, head to Alaska.