first time cruise

melouche

we are 4 couples taking a cruise for the 1st time. Southern Caribbean cruise on jewel of the seas from San Juan on March 27, 2016.

1st stop st Thomas - is it worth taking a tour or just head for the beach?

2nd stop st Kitts- will probably take a tour to see the old fort and such with some beach time

3rd stop Aruba -definitely going to eagle beach

4th stop- Curaçao thinking of just walking around Willemstad

we usually go to all inclusive resort and stay put most of the time....

if there is a must do on these stops let me know

also can men wear dress shorts and shirt or golf shirt in the main dinning room...

Get a guidebook on your ports...you will be able to figure out what really interests you, and can plan accordingly. Doesn't sound like you'll need an "excursion" for any of the stuff you want to do!

Shorts really aren't appropriate for dinner...but are fine for breakfast and lunch.

Get a guidebook on your ports...you will be able to figure out what really interests you, and can plan accordingly. Doesn't sound like you'll need an "excursion" for any of the stuff you want to do!

Shorts really aren't appropriate for dinner...but are fine for breakfast and lunch.

Or you could enter the real world and get all the information you need and more on every port of call from the comfort of your home by way of the internet.

C'mon cb change up the posts a little bit.....

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I think your excursion plans are fine.

You have to read your cruise line's guidelines about the dress code for dinner. I don't think shorts are allowed. Also, these dining rooms are quite elegant. I would feel awkward in shorts in such a lavish place.

Your plans are simple & sensible.

1st. St T. Probably shops (best opportunity on this itinerary) & beach

2nd. St K. Van tours available at the port. The cheapest (around $9) is so poor as to be a waste of time. Go for one at about $15, which pretty-well circumnavigates the island & ends up at a beach for an hour or two. But you'll struggle to find any prepared to drive up to the fort (we tried), apparently it's steep & bumpy, so you'll probably have to make-do with a view from the road.

3rd Aruba. Bus station opposite the port gate, route is "Hotel Area", it's an almost-continuous service (one leaves, the next one starts to fill) & costs pennies. Or take a taxi.

Lots of shops adjacent the port, 99.9% of them jewellery shops (mebbe that's an exaggeration :rolleyes:)

4th. Curacao is an attractive & very walkable little town, with a Dutch flavour. But shops are relatively expensive.

I'll agree with CB that shorts aren't really suitable for dinner in the MDR.

But there'll be some that disagree ;).

Same as I'll respectfully disagree with Janet about the value of a tour in Aruba :p but neither of us is wrong, we're just two different folk with different opinions

JB :)

we are 4 couples taking a cruise for the 1st time. Southern Caribbean cruise on jewel of the seas from San Juan on March 27, 2016.

1st stop st Thomas - is it worth taking a tour or just head for the beach?

2nd stop st Kitts- will probably take a tour to see the old fort and such with some beach time

3rd stop Aruba -definitely going to eagle beach

4th stop- Curaçao thinking of just walking around Willemstad

we usually go to all inclusive resort and stay put most of the time....

if there is a must do on these stops let me know

also can men wear dress shorts and shirt or golf shirt in the main dinning room...

Men can wear golf shirts in the main dining room, but not golf shoes.

I don't know what ship you will be on, but most ships have an elegant dining room which means that men will be in slacks, not shorts, at night. Even most women will not wear shorts in the main dining room at night. I have seen it, but it is so rare as to stand out when it happens. Breakfast and lunch, the attire will be more casual, thus shorts are allowed.

You can research each of your ports right here at Cruise Critic in the Ports of Call section and if you have a specific question, you can ask under the particular port you want.

I don't know what ship you will be on, but most ships have an elegant dining room which means that men will be in slacks, not shorts, at night. Even most women will not wear shorts in the main dining room at night. I have seen it, but it is so rare as to stand out when it happens. Breakfast and lunch, the attire will be more casual, thus shorts are allowed.

You can research each of your ports right here at Cruise Critic in the Ports of Call section and if you have a specific question, you can ask under the particular port you want.

OP is on Jewel of the Seas, which is RCI. That ship has a main dining room with two nights suggested as formal. This is not typically enforced other than for shorts, which is not appropriate.

Southern Caribbean is WONDERFUL.

St. Thomas--I recommend a cab to Paradise Beach on the other side of the island. Much less crowded than closer beaches. Restrooms, outdoor bar with food. This is our GO-TO in St. Thomas. Just be sure to call for a cab a couple hours early since it is a bit of a trek. (we usually negotiate with our cabbie--and don't pay until he comes back to get us. You KNOW they will come back to get paid!)

We have also wandered downtown at St. Thomas. Found a fun bar in a courtyard of a shopping "mall". Had a blast--our bartender had a friend who was having a birthday & he was matching her shots. He was PRETTY happy by the time we left!

Curacao--I recommend beaches here also. Perhaps a split day of seeing the town & lounging at the beach.

Yes, shorts are not allowed in dining rooms on most lines. Have him bring a pair of khakis & that is fine. DH wears polo & khakis on casual nights.

Edited by KKB

Before every cruise, I get a guide book for the area from the public library. Often I find so much great info, I'll try to buy the latest edition (Amazon, etc.) so I can take with. I also google each port and read the various tourism sites. I'll make a list of some sights to see to run past my family.

I also go to the website for the cruise line and read the FAQs (I imagine the Royal Caribbean's site will advise you to wear slacks for dinner unless dining in the buffet), even if we're repeating a cruise on the same ship (which we've done a couple of times).

I spent a week in Curacao when my husband worked there, and I would spend your time exploring Willemstad and skip the beaches. It isn't a real beachy place, but Willemstad is wonderful. The oldest synagogue in the western hemisphere is there, there is an Anne Frank museum at the Kora Hulanda (not sure if it's still open), and if you want to go farther out, and will need a car or perhaps a tour, Sheete Boca is a really interesting park, with an almost lunar surface and enormous waves. Lots of great places to eat there, and gouda cheese everywhere!

Check out how many ships are in port (especially in St. Thomas). If there are approx 20.000 pax it's a good idea to avoid the island. We took a great catamaran and snorkel trip to St. John. Beautiful beach and much less crowds. On Aruba we rented a Jeep. We came back dirty but happy and saw a lot of interesting places.

Edited by Maverine

I spent a week in Curacao when my husband worked there, and I would spend your time exploring Willemstad and skip the beaches. It isn't a real beachy place, but Willemstad is wonderful.

We thought the beach was great!