Upsell - Would you take this offer?

eagle92

Here's the scenario. 17 days to go.

Breakaway 7 night sailing Feb 14-21 out of NYC.

Haven has been for the most part sold out for weeks (I have done dummy bookings to check) so wouldn't think there would be much of an upsell opportunity from a Mini-Suite (MA).

I called the upsell number for giggles just to see what they had and they offered $2,500 total for one of the Deluxe Owner's Haven Suites with Large Balcony (H2). We are 2 adults and two children (9 and 8). Would get to keep our UDP and UBP as well.

Just for comparison that category has been going for a good $15-$16K.

Would you take that kind of offer? Is that considered a good deal, a fair deal, a bad deal?

Edited by eagle92

Haven has been for the most part sold out for weeks (I have done dummy bookings to check) so wouldn't think there would be much of an upsell opportunity from a Mini-Suite (MA).

I called the upsell number for giggles just to see what they had and they offered $2,500 total for one of the Deluxe Owner's Haven Suites with Large Balcony (H2). We are 2 adults and two children (9 and 8). Would get to keep our UDP and UBP as well.

Would you take that kind of offer? Is that considered a good deal, a fair deal, a bad deal?

$2500 for four people? No brainer for me I wouls take it in a heartbeat

I'd say that is a pretty good deal considering where the price normally is for that room. One thing as an FYI - the movable curtain can leak quite a bit of noise between your room and the room next door when your neighbors are sitting at their table even talking at normal levels. For the kids the sofa in the living room will fold out to the bed and is pretty good sized. There is a bathroom off the living room with a toilet and sink they can use at night or the main bathroom can be entered from the main BR or the living room. Door for the living room but the BR entrance only has a curtain. There was a review by IIRC soccerdad back in 2014 if you do a search where he and I had some pics.

With the room some things you'll get are 3 bottles of booze, unlimited in room soda and water.

Edited by dexddd

You're kidding right!?! My sister and I paid more than that for an ocean view guarantee for just 2 people! Why would you waste time even coming to cruise critic to ask!?!

Edited by Jana60

You're kidding right!?! My sister and I paid more than that for an ocean view guarantee for just 2 people! Why would you waste time even coming to cruise critic to ask!?!

Pretty sure the op meant $2500 over what they originally paid.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

It is over what I originally paid (it was an upsell thru the upsell desk).

And I came on Cruise Critic because I am not a regular cruiser. In fact, this will be the first cruise for our family (my wife and I did one cruise 6 years ago) so getting the opinions of the experts on here is invaluable to ensuring we are as cruise savvy as possible to maximize our vacation. :)

Pretty sure the op meant $2500 over what they originally paid.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

That's exactly correct.

It is over what I originally paid (it was an upsell thru the upsell desk).

And I came on Cruise Critic because I am not a regular cruiser. In fact, this will be the first cruise for our family (my wife and I did one cruise 6 years ago) so getting the opinions of the experts on here is invaluable to ensuring we are as cruise savvy as possible to maximize our vacation. :)

That's exactly correct.

Congrats on getting the upsell! I'm hoping I have the same luck on mine in a couple months.

Do you have cash available to take it? Also need to budget in additional tip money. We would do it in a heartbeat!

Why would you bring up the fact that the OP needed to bring extra tip money. I am sure most adults are aware of that. personally when folks on here say things like that I find it awkward. and yes I would take the deal with 2 kids.

Congrats on getting the upsell! I'm hoping I have the same luck on mine in a couple months.

All you have to do is call the number 14 days or less before the cruise they have always had them available when I have and they are deeply discounted its just a matter of which Haven suite you get.

Why would you bring up the fact that the OP needed to bring extra tip money. I am sure most adults are aware of that. personally when folks on here say things like that I find it awkward. and yes I would take the deal with 2 kids.

The daily service charges for suites are higher than for non suites. So that "tip" is a real price increase, it's a courtesy to allow the OP to add that expense to the $2500 upsell cost. There's also the practice of a tip for a butler so that's another item to consider as a new cost.

Nothing awkward about that discussion for me, money is money.