Surprised at inability to pay extra for upgrade

calteacher

This is our first cruise on Princess after many on HAL. In the past, we have been able to pay to upgrade to a better category on HAL after final payment and as the day of sailing approaches when the prices drop. I was surprised to learn that the price drops on Princess are for "new bookings only" and you cannot even pay extra to upgrade to a better cabin.

Of course, every line has its own rules, but i was surprised at that. Even though I booked our cruise about 7 months ago, I've decided that if I cruise Princess in the future, my best bet is to wait until a week or so prior to when I want to cruise since the prices are so much better.

I may have just been fortunate on HAL, but they allowed cruisers to also benefit from reduced prices.

Just surprised, please don't flame me. This will be a new experience, but I'm planning to enjoy it as we will be celebrating our 49th anniversary.

I understand the Princess regulations from a business standpoint...but wonder if they wouldn't create much better goodwill and loyalty by using the HAL model. In the end, they might just see more profits from repeat cruisers.

However, I know in the past that I have been able to get some reduction in price on fares already paid on Princess. I recently tried to pay for an upgrade, and was given a better quote than originally listed, but with none of the substantial perks that were available for new bookings.

Edited by soprano
added content

That seems strange as we booked a cabin within 70 days of sailing in December of last year.

I have upgraded the room two more times, under the same promotions and just paid the differences both times. Neither time it was cancelled and rebooked, so not sure what is exactly happening in your situation

I have also cancelled and rebooked due to better promotions or prices, outside the 70 day final payment which is common when the deposit is refundabl.

This is our first cruise on Princess after many on HAL. In the past, we have been able to pay to upgrade to a better category on HAL after final payment and as the day of sailing approaches when the prices drop. I was surprised to learn that the price drops on Princess are for "new bookings only" and you cannot even pay extra to upgrade to a better cabin.

Of course, every line has its own rules, but i was surprised at that. Even though I booked our cruise about 7 months ago, I've decided that if I cruise Princess in the future, my best bet is to wait until a week or so prior to when I want to cruise since the prices are so much better.

I may have just been fortunate on HAL, but they allowed cruisers to also benefit from reduced prices.

Just surprised, please don't flame me. This will be a new experience, but I'm planning to enjoy it as we will be celebrating our 49th anniversary.

All of that is true & previously Princess gave complimentary upgrades closer to sailing. Recently they've realized that by offering reasonably priced upsells to a more desirable cabin they're able to generate some additional income. My offers came through our TA or directly from Princess if we booked with them.

An example was for our 18 day transatlantic cruise where we paid $249/pp to upgrade from an inside cabin to a deluxe balcony cabin on the Regal. That was good for us & additional income for Princess by offering an upsell at a price we'd accept instead of waiting for the fickle upgrade fairy to possibly give us a free upgrade. I've never heard of anyone who contacted Princess requesting a reasonably priced upsell receiving an offer so apparently we have to wait for the upsell fairy to contact us. ;)

Hopefully you'll receive an upsell offer closer to your 49th anniversary cruise...congratulations! :)

My recent Princess experience is that three days after final payment, they decided to offer free gratuities. My TA called, but the offer is for new bookings only. So we have lost out on $260.00. :( The cabin price is the same as what we paid.

I've decided that unless it's a special occasion cruise, or a really good sale like the "Sip and Sail", we will probably wait until around the 60 day mark to book any future cruises.

A few days after final payment is a very good time to check prices.

Of course, you have to accept the possibility that you will be shut out.

My recent Princess experience is that three days after final payment, they decided to offer free gratuities. My TA called, but the offer is for new bookings only. So we have lost out on $260.00. :( The cabin price is the same as what we paid.

I've decided that unless it's a special occasion cruise, or a really good sale like the "Sip and Sail", we will probably wait until around the 60 day mark to book any future cruises.

On Wednesday 5 days before final payment for our April cruise the "Drop & Go" promotion was added without the "new bookings only" restriction. While our cruise fare increased by $20/pp the free gratuities still resulted in over a $70/pp savings & over $400 for our family group of six. :). The preceding cruises for the same itinerary all added the "new bookings only" restriction after final payment so we're happy to discover this promotion while it was still easy for our TA to get it for us.

I agree that if possible we'll wait to book our cruise.

Edited by Astro Flyer

On Wednesday 5 days before final payment for our April cruise the "Drop & Go" promotion was added without the "new bookings only" restriction. While our cruise fare increased by $20/pp the free gratuities still resulted in over a $70/pp savings & over $400 for our family group of six. :). The preceding cruises for the same itinerary all added the "new bookings only" restriction after final payment so we're happy to discover this promotion while it was still easy for our TA to get it for us.

I agree that if possible we'll wait to book our cruise.

I was tempted to cancel and re-book as a new booking. We would have lost $200 in deposits, but still come out $60 ahead on the tips. There were several reasons that I didn't.

1) We are traveling with family and have three cabins booked together with linked reservation numbers.

2) We have the highly sought after 6:00 pm traditional dining, due to the 2-year-old toddler that is coming with us.

3) If there's a price drop, plus the gratuities in the next two weeks, I can still cancel and re-book, hoping to retain my same cabin and dining.:eek:

4) It's our 10 year wedding anniversary, so I'm not going to stress over it.

5) On 3 of our last five cruises, we got the call from the upsell fairy and accepted the upsell twice. There's always hope for that.:D

I was tempted to cancel and re-book as a new booking. We would have lost $200 in deposits, but still come out $60 ahead on the tips. There were several reasons that I didn't.

1) We are traveling with family and have three cabins booked together with linked reservation numbers.

2) We have the highly sought after 6:00 pm traditional dining, due to the 2-year-old toddler that is coming with us.

3) If there's a price drop, plus the gratuities in the next two weeks, I can still cancel and re-book, hoping to retain my same cabin and dining.:eek:

4) It's our 10 year wedding anniversary, so I'm not going to stress over it.

5) On 3 of our last five cruises, we got the call from the upsell fairy and accepted the upsell twice. There's always hope for that.:D

I consider all of those things but yesterday the only things that applied to our family bookings was losing our 6:00 TD time & having to fill in our guest info on the Cruise Personalizer.

I was #13 on the 6:00 waitlist & by last night was reconfirmed for that time...maybe other passengers discovered this promotion & also canceled & rebooked to open up the early TD time so quickly. I mentioned it on our very slow roll call & so far one person saved nearly $200.

I'm still hoping for a well priced offer from the upsell fairy for our inside cabin but have it marked for a META upgrade only to not move to another inside cabin & to possibly get some natural light in our cabin.

Happy 10th anniversary to you & Bruce! :D

Isn't a 'New Booking' offer prior to final payment always available on the basis of cancel / rebook ? I understand Perks might change but prior to final payment what does 'New Booking Only' mean ?

If you don't have a "non-refundable, non-transferable" deposit, then you can cancel & rebook prior to final payment if it's not for "new bookings only" which seems to happen usually after final payment. If it's a NR-NF deposit, you'd lose your deposit to get a new promotion booking.

Although some travel agents may charge a fee for such changes but not from Princess.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I was surprised, but we just recently rebooked our upcoming cruise (before final payment) and got a significant discount on the same rooms, even though the new fare was listed 'for new bookings only'.

Before final payment, they can list it as a cancel and rebooking, making it a "new" booking. Once you enter the penalty period, they won't do that.

The advantage to waiting till near the cruise is that you might get a good price. The disadvantage is that the cruise or the cabin type that you want may sell out. We are on an August cruise that is currently listed as sold out; of course I realize that people will drop out before the penalty date.

If you don't have a "non-refundable, non-transferable" deposit, then you can cancel & rebook prior to final payment if it's not for "new bookings only" which seems to happen usually after final payment. If it's a NR-NF deposit, you'd lose your deposit to get a new promotion booking.

Although some travel agents may charge a fee for such changes but not from Princess.

Even without NR-NF deposit, does New Bookings preclude a cancel / rebook ? We booked with Future Cruise Deposit and do not think we have NR-NF.

I check each morning hoping for AIBP :) Interesting how things change from day to day. Final Payment for us is Feb 6th.

We could get Free Gratuities today, but the price for same cabin is higher, so no benefit. This promo is for new bookings only, so maybe it is not available to us.

Edited by Tedferg

IMO if one really wants a certain cat/cabin book it the first time then there is no disappointment.

Also if one wants a better fare then take the chance and book after final payment.

I am still trying to get my car dealer to refund me some cash since the price of my car went down after I left the lot. :p

Even without NR-NF deposit, does New Bookings preclude a cancel / rebook ? We booked with Future Cruise Deposit and do not think we have NR-NF.

I check each morning hoping for AIBP :) Interesting how things change from day to day. Final Payment for us is Feb 6th.

We could get Free Gratuities today, but the price for same cabin is higher, so no benefit. This promo is for new bookings only, so maybe it is not available to us.

I've never experienced having the "new bookings only" restriction on a cruise before final payment so don't know how that would work & would suggest contacting your booking source.

Even when using a FCC deposit, it depends on the terms & conditions of a promotion which may require your deposit to be NR-NT. The good thing about a FCC is that it's a $100 deposit but if you lose it without having another one to use for rebooking, then you pay a regular deposit & get no OBC. :(

Edited by Astro Flyer

IMO if one really wants a certain cat/cabin book it the first time then there is no disappointment.

Also if one wants a better fare then take the chance and book after final payment.

I am still trying to get my car dealer to refund me some cash since the price of my car went down after I left the lot. :p

Or my airline to refund me the amount of a lower price airfare after purchasing it...at least with a cruise there are some options. ;)

Or my airline to refund me the amount of a lower price airfare after purchasing it...at least with a cruise there are some options. ;)

This is getting harder and harder to do.

On our cruise in Nov we would have lost a $1200 drink promo to save $300. :(

I guess if there are no big promos on the original booking it sometimes can be done. Our TA does tons of Princess bookings and has some clout but over the last couple of years they can't get Princess to budge on most requests. :(

As stated too, waiting until after final the cruise can end up sold out and the price could go up as well.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I frequently wait until after the final payment date to book our cruises. Sometimes, though, it doesn't work out--the prices go up instead of going down. It helps that I'm usually looking at several different cruise options for when DH has his break from teaching at a community college. After August, when he retires, I won't be constrained by his school's break schedule anymore.

I consider all of those things but yesterday the only things that applied to our family bookings was losing our 6:00 TD time & having to fill in our guest info on the Cruise Personalizer.

I was #13 on the 6:00 waitlist & by last night was reconfirmed for that time...maybe other passengers discovered this promotion & also canceled & rebooked to open up the early TD time so quickly. I mentioned it on our very slow roll call & so far one person saved nearly $200.

I'm still hoping for a well priced offer from the upsell fairy for our inside cabin but have it marked for a META upgrade only to not move to another inside cabin & to possibly get some natural light in our cabin.

Happy 10th anniversary to you & Bruce! :D

Thanks Frank.:) Just an FYI, my last upsell was for my 10-day Mexico on the Grand Princess on 1/8/16. I had booked OV obstructed, and the upsell was to an aft balcony for $149.00, per person. It was worth every penny.

Edited by partybarbie

This is getting harder and harder to do.

On our cruise in Nov we would have lost a $1200 drink promo to save $300. :(

I guess if there are no big promos on the original booking it sometimes can be done. Our TA does tons of Princess bookings and has some clout but over the last couple of years they can't get Princess to budge on most requests. :(

I saw that too and we're with you. I'm not giving up our drink promo.:D