Why did Splendor leave Grand Cayman so early?

Jeepenfun

Was looking at cruise traffic and noticed Splendor is already well underway back to Miami from Grand Cayman. Itinerary says departure is 6:00pm tonight but its 3:26pm now and their at least 2 hours away from Grand Cayman already. Itinerary shows their supposed to be in Grand Cayman from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm today. Why would they leave so early?

Weird. looking at the past track on marine traffic website and they arrived at Grand Cayman right at 10:00 am this morning but doesn't look like they stuck around to anchor for very long. Just past 11:00 am they started back underway again heading away from Grand Cayman. They also were looking at anchoring on the southern side of the island by Spotts public beach instead of the west side like they usually do.

Why would they arrive at the port only to begin heading back out to sea again within the hour?

I looked at the port cam this morning just before they arrived and it was clear. Unless it was way too windy. I was trying to see where she anchores because im cruising her in april. Shore excursion were doing their office check in is just 2 streets away at the west side tendor dock. If it anchorse on the south side then we have to get a bus or taxi ride over to the west dock.

Probably noone got off. They stayed long enough to determine conditions would not soon be smooth enough to tender, and they left. EM

Agreed! This has happened a few times in the past few weeks. Bummer for those onboard. But, better to be safe than sorry. Captain knows best.:D

Was looking at cruise traffic and noticed Splendor is already well underway back to Miami from Grand Cayman. Itinerary says departure is 6:00pm tonight but its 3:26pm now and their at least 2 hours away from Grand Cayman already. Itinerary shows their supposed to be in Grand Cayman from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm today. Why would they leave so early?

If I had to guess they missed GC because of weather, either wind or waves prevented safe tender operations. When multiple ships are supposed to be there and weather issues arrive sometimes some of them can stay and others leave.

BTW it is not unusual to miss GC.

Edited by zqvol

Because weather conditions did not allow them to dock?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Seems most likely.

While I think they anchor and tender I get the point.

Too windy to safely operate seems likely if the cam is showing it as fine (as wind won't show). Our last cruise capt skipped. Prt as he said the anchors outdated hold with the winds we had, but in cam in cabin TV looked lovely. But when you went outside you thought you were going to get blown off the ship.

Although very disappointed to miss Grand Cayman, I understand Carnival has to make safety their number one priority.

I watched from the side as three tenders came up. It took awhile for them to come close enough to the ship. I wish I had video tapped it. I had my camera, but was amazed at what was happening and forgot about taking pictures. It was quite a learning experience.

The tenders were rocking and rolling. A few times it looked like they were tipping over. The guys on board were hanging on for dear life. Carnival put out the gangway and it flew up in the air numerous times. The Stand-up comedians got off with their luggage, but not at the same time. You'd see a suitcase go across and then the tender would rock and roll, then the gangway put on again and another suitcase would go on. One guy almost didn't make it on the tender. Timing was real important. The new Comedians didn't come aboard. I don't even think they were on the tenders. A passenger had gotten hurt a day before, I heard they did get him on the tender for medical care. During this whole process one of Carnival's guys broke his leg while dealing with the tender and that was the final decision. As we were watching the action, Kevin, the cruise director kept the passengers informed that they were still trying to anchor. After watching numerous times the gangway fly into the air, I knew we weren't going anywhere and left to get a chair at the pool and a drink. Another day at sea was okay by me.

To be accurate, ships do not anchor in Grand Cayman. They take their assigned positions and maintain that spot with automatic thruster operation based on satellite GPS tracking. I believe that anchoring ships is not allowed because it does not allow for precise position maintenance and could do serious damage to the eco system under water.

To be accurate, ships do not anchor in Grand Cayman. They take their assigned positions and maintain that spot with automatic thruster operation based on satellite GPS tracking. I believe that anchoring ships is not allowed because it does not allow for precise position maintenance and could do serious damage to the eco system under water.

They anchor. One of the ships destroyed a reef a few months ago with the anchor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They anchor. One of the ships destroyed a reef a few months ago with the anchor.

The ship in question was a Zenith cruise ship capable of carrying only 1800 passengers.

The big guys hold in position as described above with a GPS operated autopilot. They also move during the day based on wind and wave action, some very little and some several hundred yards.

UH grad and hunter here Quackattack!

Edited by BallFour4

The ship in question was a Zenith cruise ship capable of carrying only 1800 passengers.

The big guys hold in position as described above with a GPS operated autopilot. They also move during the day based on wind and wave action, some very little and some several hundred yards.

UH grad and hunter here Quackattack!

Quackattack for the university of Oregon. Aggie for utah state university. Sorry to let you down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk